Are There Any Good Racing Games?

Illiad86

My boyfriend and I have been watching a lot of Top Gear UK on Netflix...and it's reminding us of the good old days of Grand Turismo 3. We saw GT5 (our little Fit is in it and they have Top Gear's racing track, so cool), and it looks totally awesome, but it's only for the PS3 :( Sadly, don't have my PS2 (and really don't want to buy a PS3) anymore and we would really like to find a PC game that is much like Grand Turismo 3. Does anyone know if there's a good PC substitute? Edited by Illiad86

I just looked at all these games...DIRT 2 is cool, but it's only a rally style game? GRID looks OK too. But, we are really looking for something like Grand Turismo 3's simulation mode...where you buy cars, race, upgrade your car...and if you get better items, you can change the gear timing, etc. The controls on GT3...ya know? It's a good simulation game. I couldn't believe when I saw GT5's car list...over 1000 cars...and a lot of them are just epic. Bugatti Veyron, Lexus LGA, Tesla Roadster...cool stuff. But, sheesh, we don't wanna drop $250-300 for the system and another $50ish for the game.

edit: Ack...I looked at the Simulation based PC games...nothing really compares to GT (wide variety of cars, awesome tracks)...bah :( Might as well buy a used PS2 now :P

Edited by Illiad86

I really can't think of anything like it on the PC. NFS Shift is the only thing that comes close, it doesn't have as many cars but it does have the good ones, no Fiat Puntos. It's not much of a challenge, I managed to win this race even when I was having trouble seeing straight. :unsure:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeC1ROLzV2w

My boyfriend and I have been watching a lot of Top Gear UK on Netflix...and it's reminding us of the good old days of Grand Turismo 3. We saw GT5 (our little Fit is in it and they have Top Gear's racing track, so cool), and it looks totally awesome, but it's only for the PS3 :( Sadly, don't have my PS2 (and really don't want to buy a PS3) anymore and we would really like to find a PC game that is much like Grand Turismo 3. Does anyone know if there's a good PC substitute?

Forza 4 you would absolutely love. Why? because the devs have a deal with Top Gear UK. The game itself is one of a series of very good racing gamnes, but this particular incarnation was built with Top Gear input, car descriptions written and voiced by Jeremy Clarkson, the Top Gear track as driveable, and the Reasonably Priced Car. Xbox360 only, available later this year. If you liek Top Gear, this is probably the game for you, and while it's always risky to say anything bad about GT, I personaly think the Forza games are more approachable and enjoyable. There's also an emphasis on high-performance cars in Forza, with a large proportion of it's much smaller lineup being in some way performance based, as opposed to GT, most of who's lineup consists of used Asian cars.(which accounts for several hundred of it's 1000 cars, is a 3 wheeled, 9 horsepower market truck really a car?)

Edited by Vindekarr

Lol yeah, there is quite a lot of rubbish cars they offer in GT....but it still was a fun and challenging game. I just hate those racing games where you just mash down on the D pad and go lol...GT3 had good controls.

That game sounds pretty cool :D But, it's on the Xbox360 :( Guess there's not many good ones on the PC...or they wont port them over.

Edited by Illiad86

GriD is pretty much one of the best ones out there. I'm not generally into the more realistic titles and stick to arcade racers like NFS (not including Shift) and my pet love, the Burnout series. GriD, however, is one of those more serious titles that I enjoyed. The fact that the people in-game can actually say my real name also might have won me over, despite just being a gimmick. :3

Yeah I think Grid is the best.. Played it on console for a long time, and the racing and car customization is realistic, and superb. Nothing else really like it. Its not rally though.. Problem with NFS shift is it isn't too realistic. And its NFS. and given the history of NFS I am a bit prejudice to it right off the bat.

For me the biggest problem with Shift was that it was too difficult. While I appreciate difficult games, I play games to relax. Failing a race for the 15th time because I got disqualified for running off-track by accident, 100m before the finishing line is not my idea of relaxation. :P