Discussing the events of September 11th

MaidenUSA

People would have to be a lot older to remember that, I was alive but too young to understand or care. Also the by the time the attacks on the U.S happened we'd got 24 hour global news, events were being beamed live into peoples homes, watching something unfold live is very different to watching a recording that's just one item on the evening news.

This!

I was certainly old enough to be able to take in the horrific events in Chile, but as jim_uk says, when you are getting 24 hour global news as we did by the time the 9/11 attacks on the USA occurred, it was very much more right there in your face.

One may move on from an event, but those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. Mourning will not stop for any tragedy whilst ever there are people who feel the need to mourn. There are very few left alive who were around at the time of WW1 and increasingly few from WW2, yet I for one will be standing in silence when I hear the gun boom at 11am on 11/11, and I will not be on my own. Mourning can be constructive when there springs from it that desire to learn and when it does not consume the rest of your existence. It CAN be destructive when it becomes all consuming.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mourning will not stop for any tragedy whilst ever there are people who feel the need to mourn. There are very few left alive who were around at the time of WW1 and increasingly few from WW2, yet I for one will be standing in silence when I hear the gun boom at 11am on 11/11, and I will not be on my own. Mourning can be constructive when there springs from it that desire to learn and when it does not consume the rest of your existence.

I agree. You don't have to be personally involved in, or affected - other than emotionally - by events. Some emphatic people will mourn even for strangers. September 11 was a tragedy. Were there more severe disasters and tragedies in history? Definitely. But very few of us have the capacity to mourn for all of them. We are humans. One tragedy shakes us more than the other. I know I will think about the victims on September 11, just as I often think about the victims who died in that Youth Camp in Norway (a friend of mine from Norway lost a former classmate there).

97% of the people in the US remember where they were when they first heard the news about it. September 11th in 2001 had a major effect on the whole world, as it did for the US. In 1973 Chile itself suffered most from the effects. In any end, 9/11 is a bad day and one to remember the victims that died because of the effects of that day and not just on that day. It's a mark in history on changes in politics, but more important...the social behaviour between and in societies. It was more than a tragedy, none has any influence on earthquakes/other disasters. This was solely caused by people targeted at people. I don't think it's bad to remember that once a year. Just like in my country we celebrate the liberation from ww2 and pay our respect to the deaths caused by wars the day before.

I just arrived at home when I heard of it. Then I saw the second plane hit live, time stopped for a moment.

Edited by Pronam

People would have to be a lot older to remember that, I was alive but too young to understand or care. Also the by the time the attacks on the U.S happened we'd got 24 hour global news, events were being beamed live into peoples homes, watching something unfold live is very different to watching a recording that's just one item on the evening news.

This!

I was certainly old enough to be able to take in the horrific events in Chile, but as jim_uk says, when you are getting 24 hour global news as we did by the time the 9/11 attacks on the USA occurred, it was very much more right there in your face.

One may move on from an event, but those who forget the lessons of history are doomed to repeat them. Mourning will not stop for any tragedy whilst ever there are people who feel the need to mourn. There are very few left alive who were around at the time of WW1 and increasingly few from WW2, yet I for one will be standing in silence when I hear the gun boom at 11am on 11/11, and I will not be on my own. Mourning can be constructive when there springs from it that desire to learn and when it does not consume the rest of your existence. It CAN be destructive when it becomes all consuming.

Then at least two of us from here will be wearing poppies on 11/11.....again.

This!

I agree completely. I think it would be safe to say that the loved ones we have lost would themselves say that we should be able to move on. Living in a constant state of grief and having it consume every aspect of our lives is not healthy. But at the same time I also agree with some who say the 11th is nothing different then any other anniversary of a significant event in American history (Pearl Harbor, etc.) and should be always be remembered. I think it's simply about learning to have balance. Some things, though, only seem to come about with time.

This!

I agree completely. I think it would be safe to say that the loved ones we have lost would themselves say that we should be able to move on. Living in a constant state of grief and having it consume every aspect of our lives is not healthy. But at the same time I also agree with some who say the 11th is nothing different then any other anniversary of a significant event in American history (Pearl Harbor, etc.) and should be always be remembered. I think it's simply about learning to have balance. Some things, though, only seem to come about with time.

The best tribute anyone could pay to the American 9/11 would be to reverse the foreign policy that caused it to begin with, sadly we are doing the exact opposite now and there is no end in sight.

The best tribute anyone could pay to the American 9/11 would be to reverse the foreign policy that caused it to begin with, sadly we are doing the exact opposite now and there is no end in sight.

I think I prefer to use the Seals and hunt them down wherever they go to ground, I'm not much for appeasement and neither is the vast majority of the country. This is an ideological war and it will not change a thing to give in to the extremist demands, paying blackmail only leads to more blackmail.

I think I prefer to use the Seals and hunt them down wherever they go to ground, I'm not much for appeasement and neither is the vast majority of the country. This is an ideological war and it will not change a thing to give in to the extremist demands, paying blackmail only leads to more blackmail.

Covert strikes vs. nation building? Is that what you mean? Extremist demands=stop occupying our county. I know you think American lives have more value than non-American ones but if you read the 9/11 commission report it cites quite cleary the reasons why the US was attacked.

Why do we get to keep our 1,000 or so bases in 130 countries? Because we are special? or just because we have the bombs...?

Edited by Stardusk

Covert strikes vs. nation building? Is that what you mean? Extremist demands=stop occupying our county. I know you think American lives have more value than non-American ones but if you read the 9/11 commission report it cites quite cleary the reasons why the US was attacked.

Why do we get to keep our 1,000 or so bases in 130 countries? Because we are special? or just because we have the bombs...?

Yes, covert strikes that work versus nation building that doesn't. Yes, I value American lives more than terrorist ones hands down. If you need a lesson in geopolitics and the the value of prepositioned bases then I'm afraid this thread isn't the place. Too bad you don't think we are special and that our allies are valuable and we need to live up to our global commitments.

Aurielius, What that valuation and US foreign politics did to us (I can't and wish not to talk for any other country) that lead us to the military dictatorial period (one the darkest in our history (Brazil)) pretty much voids the claim. Notice I point USA as one main responsible and having a main role in it but I do not claim USA is "guilt" of it, that guilt fall only on ourselves.

PS: That dictatorial regimen is "over" now but it rendered a people dead to political conscious, extraneous to the surrounding. To the point a politician is caught and convicted and soon enough he/she is in the same post or even greater post in the government chain.

Often that same politician is voted by the same people it hurts so badly... I can't fully understand how we came to it, not even in the dictatorial apex it was so, even with real death risk we was out and speaking out loud the protests and death and torture was too common... yes, I lived those times. Looking to ourselves as people now I can't avoid the feeling we are dead inside, only hopping we are just deeply dormant.

Edited by nosisab