Webbrowser links me with chance of 50% to undesirable website.

Be very careful if you choose to use combofix as it is an expert level tool and not like a standard antivirus. It can be very aggressive in removing anything that even looks suspicious. For some things, you will need to already know what the program it wants to remove is to keep it from killing things you want to keep.

For better result, reinstall OS (clean install), install antivirus then update..do this before installing other apps..

just need to remember, antivirus is not for repairing OS that already infected by viruses, but to protect against viruses.

For better result, reinstall OS (clean install), install antivirus then update..do this before installing other apps..

just need to remember, antivirus is not for repairing OS that already infected by viruses, but to protect against viruses.

That seems rather extreme..... For folks that have been using their systems for an appreciable length of time, reinstalling EVERYTHING is no trivial undertaking. I have a set process that I use for cleaning off undesirable software. For the most part, works excellent, it is a rare occasion indeed that I can't recover a machine.

Article Here.

I just agree, reinstalling OS is only the last resort,..but i remember with virus which was infect all applications like exefile or dllfile, includes windows essential files..and I dont think, if the OS that already infected by virus, will back to the normal condition to condition before infected,includes all settings...Repairing Windows, only replacing all files with default OS files, but not settings,..so i think about clean reinstall...

Thank you for that article, I use HijackThis,but from my experience recently i use it to end the mallware startup entries, it will detect but can't terminate the entries, I use Autoruns instead, which more complex, I think...

You've had plenty of good advice on things to try and fix it.

However, once things are good again, this is what I recommend:

• Install Spybot Search & Destroy, update the definitions and immunize your web browsers. Set a reminder once in a while to run it again to get updates and re-immunize.
  • Install SpywareBlaster, update the definitions and immunize your web browsers. Set a reminder once in a while to run it again to get updates and re-immunize.
  • If using Firefox as your browser, install the add-on called WOT (Web of Trust) which will help prevent access to bad sites.
  • Use the built-in snapshot feature of windows when you know the system is solid. Right-click Computer --> Properties --> Advanced System Settings --> System Protection tab --> Create Restore Point. Do this before and after installing software to make it easier to undo something that does not like to be undone.
  • To make OS re-installs easier, you might want to look into application virtualization using Cameyo as well as using portable editions of software that need no installation.
  • Isolating risky programs such as web browsers might be something you want to do as well. Comodo Internet Security has this ability built-in but you can also get specialized software such as Sandboxie.
  • If you have your PC configured the way you want it and you don't want ANYTHING to mess it up, you might want to check out Drive Vaccine which can allow you to revert to the last solid state each time you boot, once a week or whatever AND you can configure what data can remain persistent. This is what I recommend to clients who have public-access computers such as Libraries. You can do whatever you want to the PC, even delete the OS to cause it not to boot and this program can still automatically restore it to good-working order.

Something else to consider is using VirtualBox to spin up a Linux operating system (like Ubuntu) and using that to do risking things such as surfing the web, downloading programs and scanning for viruses before they EVER have a chance to touch your installed Windows system. I say Linux simply because there are no licensing costs associated with it. You could run a Windows XP system inside VirtualBox, but you need a valid license for it.

LHammonds