What are people entitled to?

kvnchrist

Believe me or not, matters not to me. I've seen it in my city (Jacksonville, FL) many times. It may be difficult for me to get some solid proof to present to you here, but I'll see what I can do. Welfare should be a means of getting on your feet, not a life style.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate seeing people with fake "disabilities" and 9 kids, collecting welfare checks and using EBT cards to buy steaks! It happens.

When have you seen this?

oh damn. all the time bro. ive seen it. hell i have family members who have done it. not the 9 kids parts, but the fake cant work part and live off welfare part.

people are entitled to the right to equal opportunity. you dont have a right to money, you have a right to work for that money. you dont have a right to that food or that house, you have the right to work for that food or that house. etc.

I hate seeing people with fake "disabilities" and 9 kids, collecting welfare checks and using EBT cards to buy steaks! It happens.

When have you seen this?

oh damn. all the time bro. ive seen it. hell i have family members who have done it. not the 9 kids parts, but the fake cant work part and live off welfare part.

people are entitled to the right to equal opportunity. you dont have a right to money, you have a right to work for that money. you dont have a right to that food or that house, you have the right to work for that food or that house. etc.

There is no equal opportunity if you are some random kid born into a city compared to a kid born into a rich family. "Equal opportunity" is a complete lie in America.

People are not anywhere near equal economic status and education has a ton to do with money.

When have you seen this?

There is no equal opportunity if you are some random kid born into a city compared to a kid born into a rich family. "Equal opportunity" is a complete lie in America.

People are not anywhere near equal economic status and education has a ton to do with money.

that poor kid still has the right to try to be rich. its going to be a hell of a lot harder for him, then a rich kid. and the rich kid might get a free pass to Ivy League while the poor kid gets a GED, but he still has the opportunity to be just as rich/famous/successful as the rich kid. and education is what you make of it. my dad dropped out of high school in 10th grade, and got a GED...he makes 150k a year (gross) whereas i know several people who went to college who are jobless or making very little.

people arent equal in economic status but every one of them has the right to the opportunity to be whatever economic status they want to be.

Edited by hoofhearted4

When have you seen this?

that poor kid still has the right to try to be rich. its going to be a hell of a lot harder for him, then a rich kid. and the rich kid might get a free pass to Ivy League while the poor kid gets a GED, but he still has the opportunity to be just as rich/famous/successful as the rich kid. and education is what you make of it. my dad dropped out of high school in 10th grade, and got a GED...he makes 150k a year (gross) whereas i know several people who went to college who are jobless or making very little.

people arent equal in economic status but every one of them has the right to the opportunity to be whatever economic status they want to be.

Having the right to equal opportunity does not mean it is possible. It is not equal if one person has a advantage over another person. You might have a chance of opportunity, but it is not equal opportunity.

the problem with "rights" is that, by definition, someone has to restrict them to grant those... saying i grant you the right to live would in the first place mean that you did not have that right, or that i restricted it to be able to permit it to you

so if you say the constitution grants you this and that right you also have to acknowledge that it also restrict other rights or in fact only restricts rights instead of granting them

the problem herewith lies in the fact that all those "rights" and "restrictions" are defined by man, not by nature, or "god, or some objective being, and humans are simply the worst possible candidate to make up rights for others as they are much too biased to see anything but the world from their own eyes and perspective

What are people entitled to?

Entitled by whom?

Nature? It does not entitles anything to anybody. Not even survival.

Humans? Society? Completely arbitrary, and in tone with the times we live in.

Are we entitled to life, equal chances, pursuit of happiness? No one and no law can guarantee those to us.

So, i'd say we're entitled to anything we can get/grab/steal and can keep for ourselves.

Edited by Ferodaktyl

Life's a *censored* that way, Marharth (Sorry I wasn't about to continue that increasingly ridiculous reply pyramid). My own father couldn't get into the Jacksonville Fire Department back in the 1980's because of affirmative action. He was white and they were only hiring blacks at the time. If your body, race, or status in society has put you at a disadvantage you have to work that much harder to get to the top, if you can even get to the top. Is that "fair"? NO! But when has life ever been fair? It hasn't, and it never will be. I have no respect for people who go around playing "victim".

I work at a industrial lighting supply company so I meet a variety of different people. One man I know came to this country (United States) in the 1970's from Vietnam, didn't speak a word of English. Kids made fun of him in school and he struggled to pay his way through college, no government aid, no welfare. He now owns 3 retail clothing stores in the region. This man could have played "victim" and lived the life of a moocher the rest of his days, but instead he made something of himself.

Now I understand not everyone can become the owner of a successful company, not everyone can be a brain surgeon (God knows I can't!) not everyone will get what they want out of life. There is no shame in being a worker bee, we all have our part to play in society. You get out of life what you put into it, when life is hard you work harder. The human race got this far without welfare, and other entitlements we can still go farther.

Life's a *censored* that way, Marharth (Sorry I wasn't about to continue that increasingly ridiculous reply pyramid). My own father couldn't get into the Jacksonville Fire Department back in the 1980's because of affirmative action. He was white and they were only hiring blacks at the time. If your body, race, or status in society has put you at a disadvantage you have to work that much harder to get to the top, if you can even get to the top. Is that "fair"? NO! But when has life ever been fair? It hasn't, and it never will be. I have no respect for people who go around playing "victim".

I work at a industrial lighting supply company so I meet a variety of different people. One man I know came to this country (United States) in the 1970's from Vietnam, didn't speak a word of English. Kids made fun of him in school and he struggled to pay his way through college, no government aid, no welfare. He now owns 3 retail clothing stores in the region. This man could have played "victim" and lived the life of a moocher the rest of his days, but instead he made something of himself.

Now I understand not everyone can become the owner of a successful company, not everyone can be a brain surgeon (God knows I can't!) not everyone will get what they want out of life. There is no shame in being a worker bee, we all have our part to play in society. You get out of life what you put into it, when life is hard you work harder. The human race got this far without welfare, and other entitlements we can still go farther.

It is true that not everyone can become rich or famous, but that is my point. Equal opportunity is simply not something that exists. Saying you have a right to it is a bit silly considering that its not even possible for everyone to have the same chances in life.

It is true that not everyone can become rich or famous, but that is my point. Equal opportunity is simply not something that exists. Saying you have a right to it is a bit silly considering that its not even possible for everyone to have the same chances in life.

Exactly my point!