Plight of the arts

kvnchrist

If art is a luxury, I fail to see why we haven´t got any more artists today in this our very welthy and luxury world. It seems to me that we had more of them in the dark middleages, with povertry and only luxury for the wealthy. Yet many artists spawn from all kinds of inviroments.

I find it amusing old friend that my only ally in this debate is you and in most cases we are worlds apart in perceptions but evidently not in the value of art. :thumbsup:

The world would be truly a drab place without artists or their art, some of you should go to good museum more often and spend the day soaking in what is there.

Speaking of it. Isn´t this very forum for games=art? :blink:

If art is a luxury, I fail to see why we haven´t got any more artists today in this our very welthy and luxury world. It seems to me that we had more of them in the dark middleages, with povertry and only luxury for the wealthy. Yet many artists spawn from all kinds of inviroments.

How can you justify giving money to artists when other areas like healthcare are being cut? Anyway why should someone on minimum wage be forced to fund art that they may well have little or no interest in? If someone is a fan of the arts then great but let them pay for it, I don't see I should subsidise their interests.

How can you justify giving money to artists when other areas like healthcare are being cut? Anyway why should someone on minimum wage be forced to fund art that they may well have little or no interest in? If someone is a fan of the arts then great but let them pay for it, I don't see I should subsidise their interests.

I can not speak for other countries. Here in DK when we have 100 DK kroners taxmoney, we spend 30 kroners for healthcare and 3 kroners for culture. The lowest income fora worker here, is something around $ 40.000 a year. This person will pay aprox. $ 10.000 in tax => $ 3.000 is for healthcare and 300 is for culture and art, a year. That is afordable.

Don´t forget we have great benefits from art. Have you ever been to Russia or seen some TV-documentation from the former Sovjet worker suburbs? Grey concrete all over, no colous at all. All buildings are alike. If you come home drunk one night, you can not find your home. This is what I suspect we will get if we cut culture funds. I know that I speak of architecture too here, but this goes hand in hand with culture and art. If I lived such a place my entire life, I would become so depressed from all the concrete and the lack of art and colours, that no healthcare budget could save my sorry soul.

I can not speak for other countries. Here in DK when we have 100 DK kroners taxmoney, we spend 30 kroners for healthcare and 3 kroners for culture. The lowest income fora worker here, is something around $ 40.000 a year. This person will pay aprox. $ 10.000 in tax => $ 3.000 is for healthcare and 300 is for culture and art, a year. That is afordable.

Don´t forget we have great benefits from art. Have you ever been to Russia or seen some TV-documentation from the former Sovjet worker suburbs? Grey concrete all over, no colous at all. All buildings are alike. If you come home drunk one night, you can not find your home. This is what I suspect we will get if we cut culture funds. I know that I speak of architecture too here, but this goes hand in hand with culture and art. If I lived such a place my entire life, I would become so depressed from all the concrete and the lack of art and colours, that no healthcare budget could save my sorry soul.

I doubt very much cuts to arts funding would suddenly lead to architects designing soviet style buildings, look at the buildings built before artists were given the right to dip into other peoples pockets. The fact is many countries have huge debts that have to be paid off, services are being cut and taxes are rising. It is not fair to force people to subsidise the entertainment of others, especially when those very people are struggling to make ends meet. As for healthcare, it may not save your soul but it can save your life.

The only reason art is important to me is that is creates freethinking, and freethinking is something that humanity has always required. Freethinking has always been around, but only recently has there been a opportunity to give everyone the chance to have it.

You don't need other peoples money to be freethinking.

The only reason art is important to me is that is creates freethinking, and freethinking is something that humanity has always required. Freethinking has always been around, but only recently has there been a opportunity to give everyone the chance to have it.

Freethinking should be part of the education system should it not?

As stated before, I do not think arts and funding for arts should be given to schools since it does not promote freethinking at all due to the system. If the system where to be changed so it did not run as a testing machine, I would not have a problem with it being funded by tax dollars.

As stated before, I do not think arts and funding for arts should be given to schools since it does not promote freethinking at all due to the system. If the system where to be changed so it did not run as a testing machine, I would not have a problem with it being funded by tax dollars.

If anything the education system discourages free thinkers, even if it didn't you don't need money to be a free thinker.

I've worked full time as an artist and still do on occasion. where is all this free money? :tongue: I have done contract work for councils, they pay pretty poorly, things like xmas celebrations, you know that time when all those lights get put up down all the high streets, and a few other times when towns and cities fund public celebrations/events. Sony and BP pay better for less.

Art in school is pretty healthy. I suppose consider paying for the privilege of living in a culturally rich society, don't like it? leave. It may not be fundamental to survival, but it'll be pretty sad tear down the art museums, even old protected buildings, galleries and what not. I suppose even dropping the council budgets for events and entertainment would kinda rob us of something.

I starred in a film and we won the town film festival award and a 1000 people watched our film before the late night showing of Jaws in a huge outdoor cinema. which people watched for free. We got a huge prize of 100£, which we probably spent on make up and props, 3 days of filming and a week editing with a cast of 3 and 3 crew. So quit your yapping you're getting a good deal for the shoe string! :biggrin:

Edit: actually I think we had to pay 10 quid entry fee or somthing actually. so the prize money came from everyone who participated, but the cinema screen was council budget.

Edited by Ghogiel

If anything the education system discourages free thinkers, even if it didn't you don't need money to be a free thinker.

That's why the system needs to change first.

That's why the system needs to change first.

I think the exams themselves could be changed to encourage creativity, exams at the moment are only a test of how well an individual retains knowledge, they don't give any insight into how that person would use that knowledge.