What was your first rpg and board game.(non-computer/console) game

kvnchrist

I started out using chainmail and then the boxed set of Dungeons and Dragons, Then on into Advanced D&D, but dropped out after they started mjaking it too complex and too diverse to be real fun. They took all the imagination out of the game and set out to make as much money off the thing as they could. It should never have been sold to the wizards of the West Coast.

Anyway I've played Traveler, Marrow project and several other less memorable pin and paper games, but the best all around pin a paper game was a post apocalypse game called AFTERMATH. That thing was so detailed the gunfire was separated down to the caliber of the round. I loved that came, but it wasn't all that popular and went out of print. Those games where excellent. Friends got together and spent all weekend roaming through an imaginary realm, fighting monsters and gaining glory.

As far as board games, the best war game I've played was a tactical game called TOBURK, and the best strategic game, that was quick and fun was AXIS and ALLIES.

Also the original 3 book boxed set of Dungeons and Dragons based off of Chainmail, a medieval wargame with 25mm figures, and the fantasy novel "Three Hearts and Three Lions" by Pol Anderson. I went directly into RuneQuest after that. A pen and paper FRP based off of the board game "Red Bear, White Moon" by, I want to say, Greg Stafford. I still have all of my D&D and RuneQuest books as well as several boxes of 25mm lead miniature figures.

Rabbit

Dungeons and dragons when they were just little paperback books..... Moved on to advanced, but, stalled at second edition. They started changing too much.

kvnchrist: You play Morrow Project????? Really? I had the chance to play with one of the developers...... a fun game, that never really took off.

Then there was Aftermath...... I didn't care for the combat system in that one though......

I tried using a combat sim, I don't even remember the name of it any more. But, it was VERY detailed, and on our test run, we played for about five hours. When we stopped and figgered out elapsed game time...... we were shocked. Time passed in-game? Less than five minutes......

Dungeons and dragons when they were just little paperback books..... Moved on to advanced, but, stalled at second edition. They started changing too much.

kvnchrist: You play Morrow Project????? Really? I had the chance to play with one of the developers...... a fun game, that never really took off.

Then there was Aftermath...... I didn't care for the combat system in that one though......

I tried using a combat sim, I don't even remember the name of it any more. But, it was VERY detailed, and on our test run, we played for about five hours. When we stopped and figgered out elapsed game time...... we were shocked. Time passed in-game? Less than five minutes......

I got tired of D&D when they started over regulating the game. It became too complex, which was fine for those without imagination. The game was invented by imagination and when it started becoming a revenue grabber, with all the supplements I just walked away. I came across a section on RPG at a book store after I had been away from the game awhile, and it looked like The New York Library of D&D.

The one thing, that I really like were the figurines. I got pretty good at painting them.

As far as Marrow project. That was a very well thought out game that was easy to run and to play. I think what took out so many good games was that there were so many competing games out on the market. Some so idiotic they were pathetic.

Traveler was another nice game that ballooned way out of proportion.

I also played Tactics, which was a game of armor. I like the WWII versions the best. I really got into scenario design and painting.

• 2 weeks later...

Cut my teeth on Blue-Box D&D in 1979 (Monster Manual & Players' Handbook had just been published, Dungeon Master's Guide had yet to see press for 1st Ed.) Traveller was still being published in those 6"x8" small books, and we played a fair amount of it as well (everybody wanted an FGMP-15... gawd, we were such munchkins...)

I remember Aftermath... we'd picked up a copy when it was still being published by Phoenix Games (before they sold to FGU). It wasn't the *worst* system I'd ever seen, but I recall it taking a super-long time to generate a character, and a super-short time to watch them die in their first combat. :( I remember, also, that the rulebooks for Aftermath were poorly organized, and suffered a lot of wear & tear.

Richard Tucholka (one of the designers who worked on Morrow Project) went on to produce several more games, including Bureau 13: Stalking the Night Fantastic and Fringeworthy, and I continued to play & GM *those* for many years; the last campaign I participated in was in 2009.

Nowadays, I haven't the time to participate in RPG's, nor do I keep much contact with my former gaming acquaintances, but there's a lot of fond memories, there... :)

Here we show our age!

I, too, started out with D&D in the mid-to-late '70s. Thank the Gods, my mother got me the basic set for my 7th or 8th birthday after a trip to the local hobby store (Adventureland in Bloomington/Normal, IL). She got me a few miniatures, too. That was, I would have to say, the most life-influential birthday present anyone has ever given me.

I then soon progressed to Advanced, and 2nd edition Advanced when Dungeons and Dragons reached its immortal peak *coughcoughcough*.

I also branched out for the first time, thanks to the Wizards of TSR, into the realms of Post-Apocalyptica in that timeless game called Gamma World. GW is always the comparison I use when I play the new Beth-reinvented Fallout Universe, and I can't help but think....that Gamma World envisions post-apocalyptica better (at least to my tastes).

In junior high I got into Middle Earth Roleplaying, though none of my friends wanted to play. I kept that interest up through high school mostly by myself...those books were beautiful and magical in that pre-Jacksonian era of Middle Earth appreciation. I was lucky enough in high-school to play with those little black books of Traveler. The game seemed...vast...but nothing (GURPS, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, et al) clicked like D&D and Gamma World.

Edited by WizardOfAtlantis

I started out using chainmail and then the boxed set of Dungeons and Dragons, Then on into Advanced D&D, but dropped out after they started mjaking it too complex and too diverse to be real fun. They took all the imagination out of the game and set out to make as much money off the thing as they could. It should never have been sold to the wizards of the West Coast.

Anyway I've played Traveler, Marrow project and several other less memorable pin and paper games, but the best all around pin a paper game was a post apocalypse game called AFTERMATH. That thing was so detailed the gunfire was separated down to the caliber of the round. I loved that came, but it wasn't all that popular and went out of print. Those games where excellent. Friends got together and spent all weekend roaming through an imaginary realm, fighting monsters and gaining glory.

As far as board games, the best war game I've played was a tactical game called TOBURK, and the best strategic game, that was quick and fun was AXIS and ALLIES.

*squees*

OMG my ex-husband used to do all of those! I had characters in ALL the games! Aftermath was a little too downer for how he ran it--I would have been happier in a campaign more along the lines of Fallout than The Day After. (He was a real bear for realism). I vaguely recall play The Morrow Project. we picked it up at a game convention in San Diego. I liked Traveller but was more into exploring and scouting than the nuts and bolts science behind the planets.

We also played AD&D, up through the second edition, but he could never get his head around the lack of realism in the game mechanics, so we never played much. Ironically, he loved Gamma World (so did I!).

We made occasional forays into Chivalry and Sorcery (from the same people who did Aftermath), Recon (he and his friends played it), Battletech/Mechwarrior (we loved this one and had quite a lengthy campaign) and he and his buddies would play Axis and Allies and stuff like that.