Skyrim Mod idea: mixed languages

BavmordasMuffin

OK this is really only for language nerds but..

when I was learning the German language I bought the German version of Oblivion (which I had already played in my native English) and found it a really useful tool. If you point your character at an apple, for example, it will display the word Apfel, really good for picking up day-to-day objects. Working out accurately what a quest giver is instructing you to do becomes a really rewarding language puzzle, and you can take it as slow as you like to pick it up. It was awesome, and contributed a really interesting element to the game which is hard to describe.

So I propose a mod in which the sound files from different language versions of Skyrim are switched around so that different holds/races speak in a different tongue. The subtitles can be switched between all versions (so you can read in English, Spanish, Japanese, whatever). This way the PC would encounter a variety of languages in their journey, and need to learn enough of each to participate in all the cultures.

Now the hard bit:

Which language for which race?

I think really, the best way to use a game to learn a language is by playing it through first in your first language then second. It's not neccesery to mod the game in such way, since you will be exposed to many different languages with no real benifit other then confusion envovled

If they made a alt. version, that maybe came with CE, that would make some NPC's speak in their native tongue then that would have real authenticity. But only have them speak languages from the TES Universe. And still have subtitles at the bottom. That would be pretty cool. :thumbsup:

The game is on steam so you'll be able to change the language anytime you want but you'll have to download the sound files.

I really like this idea, I'm trying to get better at German. How difficult is it to switch regularly between two languages?

right click the game on your steam library go to properties, language and select the one you want. it should start downloading the files needed for the language change. would probably be a good idea to make a back up of the game so you could switch without downloading.