Guns or not Guns

hoofhearted4

93 members have voted

1. 1. Should citizens be allowed to have Guns

• Yes
    • No

And did anyone read the quote that Wiz gave from Thomas Jefferson??? Why am I even posting this?? I am opposed to guns, for crying out loud; but at least I read.

I did, Granny. It seems that Thomas Jefferson was of much the same mind as I am as to the reasons why he felt that citizens should be armed.

I must admit, Wizard, that I have not watched the video for the simple reason that I only saw links where you could order a DVD, and am not sure if they would despatch to the UK, but I would certainly like to see it and I did click on their references and such.

Interesting that they cited the English Bill of Rights of 1688 (actually it was 1689), as that does certainly mention a right to bear arms, but...ermm...not to all citizens. Let's say the "R" word that we do not discuss is mentioned in the English Bill of Rights in relation to who can and who can't. So you will have to Google the full text, I cannot quote it for that reason.

Fortunately the US Founding Fathers were vastly more enlightened!

• Replies 518
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And did anyone read the quote that Wiz gave from Thomas Jefferson??? Why am I even posting this?? I am opposed to guns, for crying out loud; but at least I read.

http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/laugh.gifLOL! Ah, Grannywils, you most certainly have cracked me up!

@Ginnyfizz, yes, I'm sorry about that fact about the site. I realize that I kinda put people on the spot by linking a site that sold a dvd but it was the only link I knew about that documentary.

@Wizard

Meant to thank you earlier for an entertaining hour....

You're welcome! Don't know what I did, but I'm glad it was done. http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

@Everyone else:

I'd just like to make a comment on something that always leaves me scratching my head when it comes to gun discussions in the modern world, and I'm certainly not picking on anyone specifically when I say this, but how is it possible that someone can consider themselves a "liberal" and at the same time be *for* the restriction of gun possession and use?

If anything, logically, it should be those interested in expanding "freedoms" that are the front-lines in the defense of gun rights, and yet it is the opposite: gun rights are normally defended by those who are characterized by passing laws that "limit" personal "freedoms". *yes, those are broad-sweeping terms, limit and expanding in terms of legislation, but I think you get my drift*

Why might a liberal protect someone's interest in smoking marijuana but not having a handgun? Why is abortion okay for many but a 12-gauge shotgun isn't? Where is the theoretical and in-your-face Logic behind defending the freedom of and the freedom from religion without an AK-47 in your hands while you do it?

Thank You Wizard. :D That one gave me a chuckle.

I think the problem though, is that you are assuming politics has anything to do with Logic. It has been my experience that the two don't even reside in the same universe....... They are all just 'labels' in any event. I am pro-choice, but, I am also pro-gun. What does that make me? A republocrat? A demican?

>snip<

Why might a liberal protect someone's interest in smoking marijuana but not having a handgun?

>snip<

See, if I sit in a bus one dark nigth, all alone, there is only this other fellow, and he is totally stoned. I would never be afraid of him. :D

Was he totally stoned AND had a handgun too, I would be freakin scared :sick:

@Everyone else:

I'd just like to make a comment on something that always leaves me scratching my head when it comes to gun discussions in the modern world, and I'm certainly not picking on anyone specifically when I say this, but how is it possible that someone can consider themselves a "liberal" and at the same time be *for* the restriction of gun possession and use?

@Wizard, you make a very good point. I am most definitely Liberal in pretty much all of my beliefs. The issue of guns is a difficult one for me, because of the fact that I see gun owners taking it so far. Although I'm not so crazy about hunting, I cannot object to others' rights to doing it, and they should certainly be allowed to have the appropriate weapons for that sort of thing. Someone was teasing me last night about what kind of weapon I would own. I said that if I had to have a weapon I would want some sort of shotgun, so that if I pointed it at an intruder, (s)he would be fairly certain that I would not miss. Then, hopefully, I would never have to use it.

My problem with gun ownership is that I can see no reason for the sorts of guns that I hear about that are designed more for war and mass destruction than for sport or for simple protection of ones home and individual safety. It just seems to me that the more these types of things are let out of the box the more we have the potential for chaos.

I do believe in individual freedom, and do not believe that I have the right to determine which freedoms are ok for others and which are not. This is why I struggle with these issues as a Liberal. I do not take this stuff lightly and never have.

I don't think I am a liberal.

But I think the logic would be protecting freedom as the priority There might be a case where one could think that everyone's right to own nuclear weapons infringes on the safety of other peoples freedom too greatly to grant that particular freedom.

Not that I do not beleive protecting freedom is not the highest priority, but I would suggest that the right to bear arms is in furthence of that. I think that extending the line of thought to question whether persoonal nuclear weapons ownership is a conflict with freedom is tad bit of a strech, I nderstand the satire but even I do not beleive the framers thought rhat we should be entitled to private fighter jets or your handy dandy ballistic nuclear submarine.

I was expanding the logic proposed by WizardOfAtlantis of liberal thinking and gun control. What I have said is my opinion that answers the why a liberal might be for the freedom to posses weapons, only to an extent.

I personally wouldn't mind a private fighter jet though, would have to be a harrier, I don't want any speeding tickets when taking off down the street.