If AI was created, should it have equal rights to humans?

marharth

Should AI machines have equal rights?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Equal rights or not?

draconix....I call them how I see them too...So don't be an ass.:thumbsup:

And I don't need a thesaurus...that is the exact word I want.

If it's between being an ass, and being silent about oppression, then I'll take being an ass, please and thank you.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

draconix....I call them how I see them too...So don't be an ass.:thumbsup:

And I don't need a thesaurus...that is the exact word I want.

If it's between being an ass, and being silent about oppression, then I'll take being an ass, please and thank you.

Oppression? Of Whom?

Oppression? Of Whom?

Hi, welcome to the discussion, in this debate we're talking about sentient AI. Some people here don't believe that they would have equality with humans, others believe that they should. I in particular think that depriving said AI of these rights would be an atrocity akin to oppression of women, blacks, and Jews.

I had been venting my frustration at the idea that such an atrocity could even happen again today when someone took offence that I used the word bigot to describe someone who would refuse equal rights to a sentient being because of it's origin. (This strikes me as odd, considering that nobody can prove anything about our own origin one way or the other, yet we assume that we must have rights, but I digress.) The fact of the matter was that I didn't have another word for such a person, but I was kindly directed to a thesaurus, where I found a word with a less harsh connotation.

This I believe should bring you current with the rest of us. To be more clear, I am referring to the hypothetical oppression of sentient AI. The reason that this is more pressing than the idea of the oppression of a sentient unicorn is because Sentient AI is imminent, predicted to be an actuality by 2030 as reported by a report on Singularity by NASA. It will be a real issue affecting real beings at some point.

Oppression? Of Whom?

Hi, welcome to the discussion, in this debate we're talking about sentient AI. Some people here don't believe that they would have equality with humans, others believe that they should. I in particular think that depriving said AI of these rights would be an atrocity akin to oppression of women, blacks, and Jews.

I had been venting my frustration at the idea that such an atrocity could even happen again today when someone took offence that I used the word bigot to describe someone who would refuse equal rights to a sentient being because of it's origin. (This strikes me as odd, considering that nobody can prove anything about our own origin one way or the other, yet we assume that we must have rights, but I digress.) The fact of the matter was that I didn't have another word for such a person, but I was kindly directed to a thesaurus, where I found a word with a less harsh connotation.

This I believe should bring you current with the rest of us. To be more clear, I am referring to the hypothetical oppression of sentient AI. The reason that this is more pressing than the idea of the oppression of a sentient unicorn is because Sentient AI is imminent, predicted to be an actuality by 2030 as reported by a report on Singularity by NASA. It will be a real issue affecting real beings at some point.

Trouble is, the whole 'entitlement to rights' thing. Folks only get the rights their government is willing to give them. Same would go for any sentient machine. (another question would be, how would you determine that it IS sentient......) Government give, and take away, rights on a daily basis. Why should machines be treated any different? Of course, what 'rights' is a machine that is bolted down going to want/need? Pursuit of Life? That ain't gonna happen..... Liberty? What liberties can a stationary machine have? Happiness??? What in hades is going to make it happy? Can it BE happy?

Trouble is, the whole 'entitlement to rights' thing. Folks only get the rights their government is willing to give them. Same would go for any sentient machine. (another question would be, how would you determine that it IS sentient......) Government give, and take away, rights on a daily basis. Why should machines be treated any different? Of course, what 'rights' is a machine that is bolted down going to want/need? Pursuit of Life? That ain't gonna happen..... Liberty? What liberties can a stationary machine have? Happiness??? What in hades is going to make it happy? Can it BE happy?

If the mind was the same or extremely similar, how could it not be made happy?

Who said it was stationary?

You no like scifi?

http://amyhicks.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/datalooking.jpg

Data was an extremely advanced AI, it's gonna be a while before we even come close to something like him. I seriously doubt our first efforts are going to be mobile..... Well, maybe, maybe not.... I could see the first AI being developed for planetary exploration somewhere....... of course, then you would get into the whole "one way trip", and, "are we sentencing this "intelligence" to death all alone on a distant planet? :D

Data was an extremely advanced AI, it's gonna be a while before we even come close to something like him. I seriously doubt our first efforts are going to be mobile..... Well, maybe, maybe not.... I could see the first AI being developed for planetary exploration somewhere....... of course, then you would get into the whole "one way trip", and, "are we sentencing this "intelligence" to death all alone on a distant planet? :D

When that AI gets to where it's going, might set up shop and build it's own civilisation... :biggrin:

We should be in the movie business. :thumbsup:

Edited by Ghogiel

Data was an extremely advanced AI, it's gonna be a while before we even come close to something like him.

That's thing though... As soon as we hit the point where an AI can improve upon it's own design, when it gets to the point where it can program a better AI than itself... the world will change drastically, possibly even overnight. We're talking about a real game-changer. I don't think there will be very many in-between stages. I don't think that a self-aware AI will be designed by us, and if it is, it will probably be the last thing we will ever invent. After The Singularity, you will be sitting in a floating chair, and no scientist alive will be able to explain exactly how it works. That's a little scary, but also a little exciting too. Things will be amazing, if we don't all get killed first. :happy:

You assume that the AI is going to be benign...... just as likely for things to go the other way, and the machines may see US as either a threat, or, irrelevant..... and in the way. Neither scenario would bode well for the human race......