If AI was created, should it have equal rights to humans?

marharth

Should AI machines have equal rights?  

46 members have voted

1. 1. Equal rights or not?

Because humans do not define power entirely, power exists whether or not we choose to acknowledge it or how we perceive it. In the end, as ive said, responsibility of creating something means you are then responsible for all its actions and as ive pointed out that gives you a measure of power whether you like it or not, therefore its the logical option to try and control it.

We may be responsible for its actions, but why do we have to control it so strictly? If it is the same mind of a human, it could be controlled the same way humans are, by law.

Wouldn't trying to control it and treating it as a lesser being cause more problems?

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not following your logic.

Unable or unwilling to?

So we created AI, so that would give us the right to own it and control it? Why exactly? Still not fully understanding why that would be the rule.

Seems like you've already made up your mind.

Not following your logic.

Unable or unwilling to?

So we created AI, so that would give us the right to own it and control it? Why exactly? Still not fully understanding why that would be the rule.

Seems like you've already made up your mind.

Your seriously not making any sense to me.

Explain your logic and your point better then I might be able to see where your coming from.

Edited by marharth

Nature made us, yes. But we have fought back against nature already. We can control nature ourselves. The governing body of nature is being defeated more and more everyday, and AI should not be compared in the same way.

We can fight, but we will loose in the end. :mellow:

Edited by FnimonSni

Nature made us, yes. But we have fought back against nature already. We can control nature ourselves. The governing body of nature is being defeated more and more everyday, and AI should not be compared in the same way.

We are already winning, have been for thousands of years.

No we aren't. Everyone dies. Nature wins.

The simple act of creation does not necessarily imply 'ownership', or 'complete power over' either. A man and a woman can create a child, but, the child grows up, and becomes an adult. If you have a machine that can learn, it to will grow as it's knowledge base expands, and will eventually outstrip it's creators. Who then is master?

We can fight, but we will loose in the end.

Ah, but then I say global warming, Naturedisasters, diseases etc.

We will die but the planet will linger on, just as the dinosaurs. :turned:

Edited by FnimonSni

Explain your logic and your point better then I might be able to see where your coming from.

Well, my point is that I don't see any reason why we should treat an AI as "equal". No 2 species are identical. Species should be judged on their own merits, not on those of another. By giving an AI equal rights to humans one would deny this.

Treating an AI as if it were a human being seems like racist to me. Yeah, I know that's a very big word to use, but I really can't make anything else out of it.

I really don't see why we should apply our morality to a machine. Oh well, maybe another 30 years or so and we'll be able to ask an Ai what it's opinion on it would be. :biggrin:

It is undeniable that at some point AI's will be able to outstrip humans in the race for complex decision making such as we now employ. There is no such thing as sharing the apex of dominance of the pyramid....some of you might be content to voluntarily move to second place ( first loser) but not me. It will be a machine, a smart machine but still made by us frail biological humans. My Irish Setter is smarter than some people that I have met but she is not entitled to human legal rights.