Anyone else dissappointed?

Korodic

The more I see topics like this (not meaning to sound insulting), the more I come to realize that spears actually didn't work like they should have in Morrowind. They should work like reach weapons in Monster Hunter or Demon's Souls and I definitely felt like I was using a rapier instead. When I think "spear", I usually imagine using it like you would in a phalanx-stab an enemy with it, then switch to your real weapon. I don't remember if Morrowind let you use a shield with it, but if it didn't, it should have. I guess if they made spears balanced with fairly high attack, high reach, and really low durability (as well as decent animations), I'd be cool with em'. Buuutttt, they took out durability, so that won't work. Now halberds, on the other hand, would be greatly appreciated. I never really cared for crossbows and as appealing as thrown weapons sound, I rarely ever use them in games that have them. If they did have thrown weapons that were more common than arrows in Skyrim, my assassin would love to get some for ranged poison attacks (toss a poison dagger, hide).

That's just how I'd like it all to work, though. Play it how you want.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I support the decision to remove spears, crossbows, and thrown items.

Why? Productive Asymmetry. Every option you give to the player should create a new option for the player to use in gameplay. This is why Frost sucked so hard in Oblivion because it was no different from Shock except for what things resisted it, except absolutely nothing was resistant to Shock so there was no reason to choose Frost over it. If Frost was straight-out removed from the game then new players would have had one less thing to waste their time on while learning the game.

The real solution to the Frost/Fire/Shock problem wasn't to remove the more useless members of the trio but to make them asymmetric. Give each one a special little Niche that they excel at even when you *don't* take resistances into account. This is precisely what they've done in Skyrim: Fire does the most damage, Shock does medium damage but also drains magicka, and Frost does the least damage but also drains Fatigue.

Now, here's the problem as it applies to the removed weapon types. Did any of them, in Morrowind, really give you any actual combat options? No, they did not. Your real choices were between Melee, Ranged, and Magic. The choices between Bows, Crossbows, and Projectiles were essentially purely cosmetic. It's a bit of needless extra complexity that contributes nothing to the game mechanics. This means these options should either be removed, or be redesigned as to contribute to the game mechanics. Ideally the latter option should be taken but I can get behind the former.

Gloves, though, I agree. Why do I have to wear wrist irons to have that extra enchantment while casting at full effectiveness? Thankfully they appear to be back in Skyrim if the screenshots are to be believed.

Your view is pretty justified, very true about the magic (I didn't even know that), but I feel like this:

A Steel Sword Vs. A Glass Sword

Both are swords and the glass sword contributes nothing to game mechanics that a steel sword couldnt. The difference? Cosmetics, damage, and variety. Given they may use the same skill, and animations, so can an arsenal of spears and crossbows. It doesn't hurt to have a little more.

Crossbows can be more powerful with a slower reload, and a spear can hit a little bit farther that a sword but swing a little slower. They can be more than cosmetic, they can have advantages and be balanced.

I don't think Steel vs. Glass is exactly a valid comparison. Ignoring that one is heavy and one is light for a moment, Glass is a higher-tier material and thus is supposed to be superior to steel in every way. Providing the player with a glass sword when they already have a steel sword is not supposed to be providing the player with a choice, it's supposed to be providing character progression.

That said I don't completely support tiered equipment. There already is a character progression system in the form of skills: The only thing tiered equipment really adds is to make you look for treasure chests to see if any better equipment spawned. While giving the player a reason to want to explore isn't a bad thing, I don't think increasing their character's power should be the motivation they have when doing so.

Ok I'm sorry it's been Avery long time since I played MW and

A few years since I played Ob what is the no glove thing I could have swore we had gloves but I might be mistaken

But on topic the only thing I can be remotely disapointed in is no block/parry while dual wielding weapons and arrows being rare and expensive still doesn't make logical since for that.I mean basic sword combat teaches parry not to stop the attack just to redirect the force of the blow . And how can u live in a forest were there are a ton of trees made of wood to make arrows out of i don't get it

That being said I'm in now way disappointed with skyrim to me it's like omg dad you bought me a new car but I don't like the color of the seatbelts but it's still frickin awesome Ty so so so much

"Some people wish to throw their weapons. That seems foolish to M'aiq. If you hold your weapon, you only need one."

"Some people want special bows that take too long to load and need special arrows called bolts. M'aiq thinks they are idiots."

well said Maiq :)

I quite agree with M'aiq too, Fishfiend. So no, I am not disappointed.

Longbows beat crossbows every time. Not that I am biased of course, and the fact that I come from a part of England that was noted for its famous longbow toting outlaws (clue, our local Army regiment used to be called The Sherwood Foresters), and which supplied many a fine bowman for rumbles in foreign fields, has nothing whatever to do with it. :whistling: Did I even mention Agincourt? Crossbows required a lot more priming and required resetting, so the rate of fire with a longbow could be greater.

Nice article here for you ;- Longbows vs crossbows