200 years on and technology is still the same

egg

When evaluating 'technology' in any magic encompassing fantasy game, you also have to consider Archaeotech (Magic based technology). In this case, the Dwemer are NOT purely technological. They view things through a scientific epistomology, which means the didn't ascribe magicka and magical happenings tot he whims of the gods, but rather to the nature of Magicka its self. While their technology has a definate Steam Punk vibe, there are snippits here and there which show, very conclusivly, that it is a combination of steam-tech and magic.

The outlook of the current practitioners of magic also means that they are unlikely to be able to recreate the Dwemer archaeotech without a drastic change in perspective. To most mages, the Gods are still a relivent factor, and their whims are used to explain a number of things wich the Dwemer explained through natural process.

Furthermore, as has been noted, technology is NOT a constant, linear progression. The Iron Age lasted almost a thousand years in Europe (Though the fall of Rome extended it a good deal). Technology in the America's was virturally stagnant in a Bronze Age equivilent for the better part of 5 thousand years, with some ares (Notably the north east and innut regions) never actually progressing past the neolithic for almost 15,000 years.

Some technologies, such as Crossbows, astro-labs, aqua-culture and even simple submersables do actually exist in the TES world, though the latter 3 are more relagated to excentric mages-scholars. Crossbows are also not particularly favored because of, presumably, long reload times and unreliable accuracy (The same reasons they fell out of favor in England).

There are some wonderous examples of archaeotech, however, notably in High Rock, Summerset and Morrowind. In Morrowind you have the Clockwork city, though we don't know it's state anymore.

I'd also like to point out that our own technology has not changed radically in decades. How the technology is applied has, but the last major technological development was the silicon transistor, which replaced vacumm tubes. The technology is certianly more common, and has been refined, but nothing has really changed.

Finally, i feel i should note the corelation between the Scientific Process and technological development. Without it, developments tend to happen more by chance and individual drive than anything, and it can take decades or centuries for an idea to catch on. For example, a variation on the steam engine which would power railroads the world over was actually created in 12th century France. But, without the scientific process, and its ensuing intelectual community, the discovery was lost and had to be rediscovered centuries later.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When had crossbows and weapons similar around 4th century BC, we didn't come around with guns till around the 14th century AD. then coming 17th century with more realistic guns. :thumbsup: technology was very slow until the past about 500 years. past 50 years is unbelieve from how much we advanced.

during those days you would have iron weapons and what not. armor would be fur-leather chain mail and maybe some type of steel plate-ing.

if wanting to make crossbows in game think of the time from shooting-getting the next arrow on vs the reg. bow. people would complain so much. :wallbash: not a master historian but what found searching.

Magic takes the place of technology? Nah... Seriously, what is more magical than a nuclear weapon? Surely a machine gun is more powerful than a fireball spell. Dragons would be pwned by surface to air missiles.

There should be some sort of technological innovation. If magic took the place of technology then why are there lumber mills and coal mines? Why don't people just use magic for cooking and keeping warm?

Well, Tamriel haven't really undergone an equivolent to the Enlightement, has it? My theory is that there is simply not much of a percieved need or an open arena for large-scale developments in technology in Tamriel, certainly not now in an age of strife.

My theory is that there simply aren't such a thing as science as we know it in Tamriel, beyond maybe the various organized mages. They don't have different people of different skills gathered in one place where they can test, share and scutinize their various theories and contraptions. That sort of infrastructure doesn't exist in the same way. Yet, at least.

Magic takes the place of technology? Nah... Seriously, what is more magical than a nuclear weapon? Surely a machine gun is more powerful than a fireball spell. Dragons would be pwned by surface to air missiles.

There should be some sort of technological innovation. If magic took the place of technology then why are there lumber mills and coal mines? Why don't people just use magic for cooking and keeping warm?

They still need simple technology that those who can not use magic can use to produce things like weapons, clothes, and houses. But in a world where magic does exist, and where the focus of all organizations focused on education have a focus on magic and not technology, and since early technological innovations that would lead to things like a nuke would seem to be useless in the face of what magic can provide, it seem perfectly reasonable that a world remains pretty much static in technological progression. Also keep in mind that there are other parties who may be interested in stifling technological and magical growth. The daedra for instance, may prefer to keep the general populace a rather simple folk. So there are constant schisms throughout society at every age in history that really stifles the ability for any real advancement in anything, including magic.

Not everyone is super competent at magic, remember magic is dangerous. You must use it with caution, when you charge a fireball in your hands, what is to stop it from burning you alive, exploding or engulfing your arm? When you summon an atronach you have to have complete dominance over it, otherwise it'll break free and kill you! In Alteration, what is to stop your oakflesh from crystallizing your blood and giving you a nasty stroke. Extreme caution must be taken, that's why there is so much inherit risk in magic, that's why only the most devout and studious scholars are wizards and sorcerers.

Besides, who needs SAM sites when you got soul gem powered sentries? Whack your game on the highest difficulty and you watch how fast they kill you.

We didn't have Daedra and Aedra screwing with stuff all the time, or ahem... certain groups... going out of their way to assassinate emperors and whatnot.

But... the Christian Dark Ages left a 1000 year void in technology, so they could be in a period like that.

Edited by XunAmarox

It's happened IRL.

After the fall of the Western Roman Empire in 476 CE, humanity pretty much took several giant steps backwards. People went back to being stupid and wallowing. Oh, and then the Catholic Church pretty much took over the western world, since it was the only unifying cultural influence in the West that survived the fall of Rome. Then they went around doing... well, let's just say, a LOT of horrible, horrible, horrible things.

...the fall of any Empire is a huge setback for us all.

Can only speculate on what could have been, if the Roman Republic had remained.

Edited by Lehcar

I see the OP's point, but honestly, with FOOK2 installed into Fallout3 I already have enough virtual guns in my personal collection to invade a moderately sized country, or at least the state of Nevada.

Though I admit that every time I'm wasting dozens of arrows trying to land a single hit on a flying dragon with a bloody longbow I am constantly thinking "I can't wait for someone to mod a frikkin Stinger missile into this game..."