EA and Origin: or the beginning of the end...

SpellAndShield

Valve and Origin are nothing alike

I lol'd. But seriously, yes, they're more alike that a hell of a lot of people seem willing to admit.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't block access to running those games in Origins Offline mode, just can't log in to the online mode Sendo.

So for all the games that require an online mode, a banned account means no access yes? Including patching, DLC purchase etc of offline mode games.

Edited by sendo75

Steam does the same thing Sendo but if you want your account back you have to get in contact with tech support and get it unlocked and log in ID and PW changed. Those that did get their Origin accounts back after the ban went though this some of those that didn't had actually made the account just for beta access so it didn't matter.

So basically we have one group saying Steam has already been doing it so we should suck it up and accept it. And the other group that dislikes what Steam is doing, realized that Origins is another new kid on the block doing it more brazenly and wants to complain about it.

Steam's user base is growing, along with its exclusive game distribution rights. I am disappointed that Skyrim has jumped onto the bandwagon and as much as I dislike the concept of this unnecessary system, I might give in, bend over and accept it eventually. Doesn't mean I have to advocate this system and the bundled spyware with promises of more surprises and outrage in years to come.

Because the news the OP linked was dated August 2011 and it focuses on the discovery of the EULA specifics that was worth mentioning since it invaded privacy blatantly. The difference between Origins EULA and Steam EULA was then discussed. I am unsure if this EULA was changed recently or has always been so but the fact remains this is unacceptable (at least to a significant some) even if it is only recently discovered.

The debatable precedence of Steam's operation doesn't makes this issue less frustrating, it only condones and worsens when everyone just accepts it. And again, I don't recall any posts here saying Steam is ok while Origins is not, there is already a debate going on about Steam here.

Edited by sendo75

Actually Origins isn't actually quite new, its as I said before just a Rename and updated version of the old EA Downloader which had the same EULA yet I find it odd that only now people complain about it.

Because the news the OP linked was dated August 2011 and it focuses on the discovery of the EULA specifics that was worth mentioning since it invaded privacy blatantly. The difference between Origins EULA and Steam EULA was then discussed. I am unsure if this EULA was changed recently or has always been so but the fact remains this is unacceptable (at least to a significant some) even if it is only recently discovered.

The debatable precedence of Steam's operation doesn't makes this issue less frustrating, it only condones and worsens when everyone just accepts it. And again, I don't recall any posts here saying Steam is ok while Origins is not, there is already a debate going on about Steam here.

Sigh, my first paragraph was in response to your last post since you wonder why people are only complaining now. I provided a rough summary of what has been discussed so far, including Steam because you seem to be missing something. My second paragraph has nothing to do with your last post. It was a general point made again for those who has been bringing Steam into the discussion, which you did in this linked post. Not quoting your last post was an attempt to say my point to everyone, not just you alone.

:facepalm: Now in my last post did I even mention Steam NO. I said EA DOWNLOADER.

I can read just fine, are you confused?

Edited by sendo75

Valve and Origin are nothing alike

I lol'd. But seriously, yes, they're more alike that a hell of a lot of people seem willing to admit.

Isn't that more of a case of a company suspecting questionable behavior and responding to it by closing all contracts they have with that user and alerting creditors to possible fraud?

And in the first case... that's more of an issue with paypal and just bad luck than anything.

Also, all these go back to 2010... the peak of Steam hate. So there's no way to know how true any of these are... The re-occuring "$500 account" bit is suspicious.

And again, this is the sort of risk you take with ANY online transaction. If you're playing a MMO with a cash shop or a subscription, and one of your payments is suspect... They'll shut down your account exactly the same regardless how much you've spent on the game or how long you've been playing. Same with just about any company for that matter... Cancelling an account because of suspicious behavior is par for the course and exists primarily to keep the company from having to shell out reversal fees to a creditor just because a user is fickle. That's right folks... when you reverse a payment, it isn't just that a company doesn't get paid... That company also often has to pay the transaction fees as part of their arrangement with that payment service.

All of this is really beside the point though. Origins is bad not because if has a draconian EULA... but because of the specific rights that that particular EULA forces users of that service to give up purely for the benefit of the issuing company. THAT is the problem.

Isn't that more of a case of a company suspecting questionable behavior and responding to it by closing all contracts they have with that user and alerting creditors to possible fraud?

When my Visa card suspects fraud, they don't come to my house and seize everything I purchased on that card prior to the suspicious transaction.

When Steam suspects fraud, that's precisely what they do - seize everything you paid for even if it was 100% legally obtained. Where I come from, that's theft, and in the case of some peoples' libraries, it would qualify as grand larceny were it anything other than computer software.

Also, all these go back to 2010... the peak of Steam hate. So there's no way to know how true any of these are... The re-occuring "$500 account" bit is suspicious.

I see. So Steam became the magical good witch sometime .... after 2010? I don't for one second buy that.

And again, this is the sort of risk you take with ANY online transaction.

Nope, because when I buy hardware from an online retailer, they don't have the legal right to demand I return everything I ever bought from them if one transaction happens to bounce.

That's right folks... when you reverse a payment, it isn't just that a company doesn't get paid... That company also often has to pay the transaction fees as part of their arrangement with that payment service.

To which I say too damn bad. That's part of the risk of operating in the modern world. Not just with online transactions either. They'll have to absorb a chargeback if I buy something in a brick & mortar store.

Honestly, I don't get why people seem so willing to defend a practice that in ANY OTHER SECTOR would get people arrested for robbery. Even music and movie purchases. Computer software isn't exempt from property rights laws no matter what that EULA says.