3 Graphical things I would love to see in Skyrim

TwiggySkyrim

1: Cloth Simulation

This might seem small, but the amount of immersion it can add to a game is incredible. Robes, hair and cloaks all flapping in the wind.... It's one of those things which make a game look so less static.

It does not neccesarily have to be live cloth simulation. If there was a method for it to be baked into the animations then that would be just as good. If the functionailty was made accessible to modders then even better.

2: Animation Modding

More options for modding animation. Bethesda seems to have been talking about it's improved animation interface. If they can make this easily accessible to modders then the quality of future mods will be improved considerably. Ever get tired of the same 2 second walk cycle being repeated? If modders could have full access to the character controller scripts it would be possible to have many slight variations made to reduce the monotony of moving. Ever seen someones silhouette at night and been able to identify them just by how they walk? You might not notice it but movement is responsible for a lot of someones character.

3: Animated Smithing/Cooking (Perhaps with mini-game)

It's probably way too late in development for this, but imagine if you actually had to do a mini game when making food or weapons? It's hard to think of specifically how this would be done... perhaps like in LA Noire where you control your hands at some points? Placing coal into a furnace, manually hammering a sword on the anvil etc.

Anything to take away a simple clicking on buttons menu interface really.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Which features like this would you want to see?

Does anyone know if there actually will be cloth sims in game?

I didn't see any cloth sim on any live characters, everything to do with them is all skeletal animation afaik, well until they die then physics take over, and it's a pretty standard ragdoll, it looks better and I think it might have a couple extra bones for clothing, but it's not going to be batman's cape.

There are flags and such that have rigid body physics set ups, so in a sense there are cloth sim, only in the sense that oblivion had it.

from what Ive seen .. no cloth simulation on clothing .. thats a lot to process .. the only way they could get away with running cloth sims is if they only did it on the main character .. but then they would have to rig multiple models since NPCs wear the same clothes .. and well .. no .. thats not in .. maybe if we are lucky one or two rare items might have it Edited by jedimembrain

Does anyone know if there actually will be cloth sims in game?

it looks better and I think it might have a couple extra bones for clothing, but it's not going to be batman's cape.

Hmm.. I guess a few extra bones on the rigs would be enough really. When it's finally released i'm gonna try and make the most of that. If I could work out how to implement animation using those bones and write a guide nice and early hopefully people will add that into their own armor mods.

If anyone knows a lot about making animations for elder scrolls I could gladly use your guidance once we know how it works in Skyrim. I'd like to make a mod where health damage and fatigue makes changes on your walk cycle, if beth haven't already done that anyway.

Edit: Also a few variations on walk cycle for NPCs would be nice. Even if it's just the 3 typical ones: Head Driven for thoughful people, Chest driven for confident people and Crotch Driven for cocky people.

Edited by TwiggySkyrim

Both stamina and health regenerate so fast, I'm sure they haven't done that. There is a run and sprint in the locomotion animation now. You just stop sprinting for a second and keep running and soon enough your stamina in back at full. There are even transition animations, rather that straight up blending this time around. I could go on about the potential of the new animation engine, but it's best to DL it for yourself and learn how to use it. It comes with a whole sample files and lessons that guide you through how to go about using it, you'll still need to know how to animate in max to make your own animations, but it might be good to understand the basic tech Beth started with. The only thing is how they actually implemented the various features of havok behaviour.... Edited by Ghogiel

I'm already pretty experienced at animating in 3DS Max so I have that covered. Do you know where I can find out more about the animation engine?

Even if it was very brief before regen kicks in I still think fights would look more intense if you/enemies looked injured at the time.

Tessellasion!!! That's would be so perfect for this game.

But yea, I really hope we're able to work well with the new animation-engine. It kicks ass ingame, but would really limit the modding-posibilities if we're not able to mess around with it :(

I'm already pretty experienced at animating in 3DS Max so I have that covered. Do you know where I can find out more about the animation engine?

Havok Behaviour.

The Havok content tools from their website.

Note that BGs probably aren't going to be using any of the havok file extensions. What I think is likely is that they wll continue developing beth/havok nodes into the nif format. I expect to see more 'bhk' prefix nodes in the kf and nif files. But who knows, they could add the whole havok script library to the exe at runtime, or just a portion of it, or have external xml files for the state machine, it could be kinda integrated into the new CS. :shrug: