Occupy Wall Street

SilverDNA

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I already read it and watched a few of the videos. The cops went easy on them.

THIS is what it's really about:

"Occupy Wall Street stands in solidarity with the people of Greece, and we are inspired by their bravery and resilience. We pledge friendship and mutual support with all people across the world fighting for democracy and economic justice. In a global economy, the struggle of the 99% is necessarily a global struggle."

The Marxist 'Black Power' fist from the 1970's on the web page banner is a nice touch, btw.

Economic Justice

Global Economy

Progressive Agenda

Redistribution of Wealth

Like I said, the protesters are full of it.

I WOULD pull up some sound bites from MSNBC and CNN and show what the protesters are saying on the street. I'd be wasting my time since it validates what I'm saying and would thus be ignored.

Done with this mess. I've had my say.

*click*

Yeah, I already read it and watched a few of the videos. The cops went easy on them.

THIS is what it's really about:

"Occupy Wall Street stands in solidarity with the people of Greece, and we are inspired by their bravery and resilience. We pledge friendship and mutual support with all people across the world fighting for democracy and economic justice. In a global economy, the struggle of the 99% is necessarily a global struggle."

Economic Justice

Global Economy

Progressive Agenda

Redistribution of Wealth

Like I said, the protesters are full of it.

f*** YEA AMERICA, PEPPER SPRAY ALL THEM PROTESTERS! You claim to support freedom with comments like that? The cops went easy on them?

Greece has a economy on the brink of collapse, that will pretty much f*** the EU if it does collapse. People should clearly just sit at home and have their politicians deal with it huh?

Are you saying the one percent are good? Do you seriously support the banks?

Edited by marharth

I guess Kendo's a little upset because everybody left their tea-bags at home this time... http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/sweat.gif

The protest is probably a well-intentioned demonstration, but won't actually end up resulting in much, but it's good that people try. Regardless of what people want to read into it, the overwhelming overt message is that something is rotten in the District of Columbia, Which is a pretty universal message that I think everyone can get behind, as evidenced by everyone that has gotten behind it. I'm quite certain they don't screen for right-wingers at the protest.

It's rather odd that Kendo would state that "If the protesters were sincere" they would protest unions, when what he should be saying is, "if they were conservatives..." Clearly, not everyone thinks that unions are a big problem. The sincerity of the protestors in a protest of this size and duration can't be brushed aside with a blanket statement like that. Even in a small group of people like those on the debate forum, who have one big thing in common, we are diverse in our beliefs. Imagine the diversity among the group that has rallied like this for weeks?

I'm going to bed for the night, but I'll be back since I'd like to defend my quite defensible stance on the topic, so feel free to debate with me, that's what the forum is here for after all.

*click*

Beginning from one simple demand – a presidential commission to separate money from politics – we start setting the agenda for a new America

Doomed to failure. The only people that have the power to change this, are the very people that benefit most from NOT changing it. The average joes can kick and scream all they want, they will get some media attention, and maybe a politician or two making noises about 'change'... but, that will be the extent of it. Money has momentum, and currently, the momentum is working against the protesters.

I am going to approach this from a pragmatic standpoint, lets us look at the two SUCCESSFUL protest movements in recent history..Civil Rights and the Anti Vietnam Protesters (one of the banes of my youthful days) both were effective because of mass numbers, the time duration, and the fact that they were in multiple cities across the country. These movements had to shut down normal operations in many cities in order to be effective, Wall Street for those of you who are not NYC residents is tiny in area and would not effect much except the poor cabbies that are trying to work and the 'suits' getting back from their three hour lunches. It is disingenuous to assert that this is anything more than grandstanding for the cameras.

@ Draconix

Do you want to debate the right or just insult us?, If the former, then that's not the way; if the latter then *click* will have more than one meaning.

Edited by Aurielius

I AM "the right," Aurielius. I don't know what you found insulting. Was it the joke about the tea-bags? Was it the fact that I pointed out that there is a difference between being "sincere" and being anti-union? Or was it my clear intention to contrast myself against Kendo, who decided to post a few opinions, then make a scene as he left this "mess," whereas I made it clear that I am actually looking to debate this?

I'm sorry if you took insult from any of that, it wasn't my intention.

Edited by draconix