Occupy Wall Street

SilverDNA

@DeathWarrior, Well put. We have many among us who are strong believers in the Constitution and the rights provided thereunder. I number myself among them. I happen to agree with you with respect to my support of the ideals for this particular protest. However, whether I did or not, I would respect the rights of my fellow Americans to engage in this peaceful protest, as it is their right. I recognize that those who do not support the protesters also have a right to disagree; but I would hope that they can acknowledge respectfully that all Americans have a right to an opinion and its expression, and that they do not need to be belittled for having differing ones from their own.

• Replies 233
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sticking it to The Man is very important, even you can't quite articulate what it is exactly that you're so pissed off about. Or even if you can and it's incredibly petty and stupid. The Man will walk all over you if you let him. He needs to be taken down a peg once in a while, doesn't matter why, really.

@Quetzlsacatanango, I'm not sure if your above post was serious or not. However, if it was so be it. I'm not sure that I agree that it is quite so simple as sticking it to the man. But I do agree in that vernacular that he has been sticking it to us for quite some time.

But I disagree that it "doesn't matter why really". I think it really does matter, very much. In addition, I believe that these protesters, while perhaps somewhat disorganized are not the least inarticulate about what pisses them off.

Some are, some aren't. Governments need to be reminded from time to time who they work for. If you can come Up with a noble, righteous cause, that's great. If not, go with what you got. I personally think it's a bunch of whining but a protest is better than no protest any time.

Some are, some aren't. Governments need to be reminded from time to time who they work for. If you can come Up with a noble, righteous cause, that's great. If not, go with what you got. I personally think it's a bunch of whining but a protest is better than no protest any time.

If you will protest for any reason, including no reason whatsoever, then what is the value of your protest? Who will care why you protest? Who will listen to what you have to say, when you do in fact protest on a worthy cause?

I think it's rather sad that the lesson behind Aesop's fable about the Boy who Cried Wolf is utterly lost upon you.

Edited by lukertin

I sort of agree with Quetz in that people really ought to keep a short leash on their government. The government should fear it's people, not the other way around. The government serves the people, because people created it, and not the other way around. Edited by draconix

Draconix, I have no problem with your point. It is government, of the people, by the people and for the people, after all. However, don't you believe that if you want to protest or complain, it is a much better idea to focus that complaint directly on "something"; rather than to arbitraily jump up and down and stamp your feet (so to speak) and say "I'm mad, and I'm not going to take it anymore" (to coin a phrase). Oh, and I certainly agree that the people should never have to fear their government. Nor should the government fear its people, since the government in effect is its people.

If you will protest for any reason, including no reason whatsoever, then what is the value of your protest? Who will care why you protest? Who will listen to what you have to say, when you do in fact protest on a worthy cause?

I think it's rather sad that the lesson behind Aesop's fable about the Boy who Cried Wolf is utterly lost upon you.

And I think it's rather sad for you to cast aspersions on my character and use a false analogy in a single sentence.

The value of any protest is in the expression of indignant rage itself, and in The Man getting it stuck to (or something like that)

The voting public are not some expendable shepherd boy. The gov cannot just go out and find itself another constituency. These guys like their job security and they won't have it if they are just tuning them out because they've heard it before.

Draconix, I have no problem with your point. It is government, of the people, by the people and for the people, after all. However, don't you believe that if you want to protest or complain, it is a much better idea to focus that complaint directly on "something"; rather than to arbitraily jump up and down and stamp your feet (so to speak) and say "I'm mad, and I'm not going to take it anymore" (to coin a phrase). Oh, and I certainly agree that the people should never have to fear their government. Nor should the government fear its people, since the government in effect is its people.

I respectfully disagree. The government should fear the people. After all the Declaration of Independence names it the peoples' duty to overthrown tyrannical governments. So yes, they should be afraid lest they grow too tyrannical and the people fulfill their duty.

Edited by Quetzlsacatanango

Quetzlsacatanango, I guess I understand your point. And, yes it is the people's duty to overthrow a tyrannical government. I suppose the point I was attempting to make was that we are in fact the government; and I was trying to make it sound a bit less threatening by taking the word "fear" out of the equation. Additionally, I do not believe we have reached such a point just yet. At least I hope not.

And I think it's rather sad for you to cast aspersions on my character and use a false analogy in a single sentence.

I didn't use a false analogy. You failed to identify the particular part of my sentence which is a false analogy, and have failed to explain why. Must be fun to make conclusory statements in arguments, eh?

The value of any protest is in the expression of indignant rage itself, and in The Man getting it stuck to (or something like that)

Yea, like Hitler Youth rallies. Those protests contained no merit or value except for their the expression of indignant rage.

The voting public are not some expendable shepherd boy. The gov cannot just go out and find itself another constituency. These guys like their job security and they won't have it if they are just tuning them out because they've heard it before.

I didn't say they were. But people who protest for the sake of protesting are expendable sheep.

You seem to be saying that random, arbitrary, purposeless protests are necessary to ensure that elected government officials 'stay' honest or some nebulous concept which doesn't make any sense. If this is what you mean, you don't justify why this 'blanket protesting' is preferable to, or more effective that, or is necessary to supplement holding elections every 2-6 years to assess those elected officials' competence for the job.

If you are actually referring to everyday government employees, then LOL. Those people don't have a voice in government superior to yours. You outnumber them heavily. Get a grip on reality.

Finally, if you are referring to those appointed officials who essentially serve for life, need I remind you that these people do not apply for those jobs, the President seeks them out. A lot of them leave higher paying, more prestigious jobs in their respective careers to take that appointed position. Their job security is not high on their list of concerns; effecting public service is.

Edited by lukertin