Multi-Player in the Elder Scrolls

stars2heaven

Multi-Player in the Elder Scrolls  

51 members have voted

1. 1. Should Bethesda make future Elderscrolls game multi-player?

• Yes
    • No
    • There should atleast be some sort of option

No for me, time spent developing the multiplayer is time not spent developing the single player. That said a simple drop in co op like they have in Saints Row 2 wouldn't be so bad, there of course should be an option to disable it so people can play in peace if they want to.

No for me, time spent developing the multiplayer is time not spent developing the single player. That said a simple drop in co op like they have in Saints Row 2 wouldn't be so bad, there of course should be an option to disable it so people can play in peace if they want to.

Elder Scrolls co-op should be something where you could drop in or out on choice. It should not change any aspect of the single player game, it should simply allow a few more people to play with you in singleplayer.

If this was a Fallout thing, I'd be all for it. But Elder Scrolls doesn't feel like an MMO to me. Even with co-op, to me it would feel odd. When I play either of the Elder Scroll games that I have, I think it'd be distracting to see a horde of players jumping about and spinning in the air like I saw so often when I played WoW. It feels like a game where you should be alone. Your quest is yours and yours alone. I don't know if I'm explaining it well at all, I'm quite tired. :P But hey, it's just how I feel about it.

I would say the tiredness helped loosen your mind appropriately! http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/thumbsup.gif

That's a very good point. The Elder Scrolls has a certain definable/undefinable glory about walking around in this world by yourself, and not seeing war bands fighting each other. Fallout could support that idea much better, but TES I think would have to have far fewer RL players in each world to make it feel the same. You need to have those sweeping vistas without too many other players mucking it up.

What mod was it in Oblivion that added Adventurers to the world? Remember how rare it was that you actually met one? Something like that. It was rare, and for me, thrilling, to meet up with a fellow adventurer out for treasure.

That said, I actually have been thinking in these last days how I might want to be able to play a Bethesda TES/Fallout mmo with the people here on the Nexus. Something like a server dedicated to those who rank high enough to be considered active participants on the Nexus sites. That, like past thinking about comments, reviews and the whittling-down of millions of members to some thousands, I think might be fun.

It would certainly take Nexus participation to a new level.

i think if multiplayer was a feature on the obilivin game it would just cause too much conflict with the players and the storyline as one player would complete a Dark brotherhood quest while the other would do a main storyline quest. it would be way too confusing to play.

I'm gonna go with "yes".

Why?

Cause the Elder Scrolls series is awesome, and playing it with your friends at the same time would be even more so (in my opinion).

The mods are a problem though, as well as DLC's... so... perhaps a cloud system that could install mods on your computer (aside from DLC's that is)?

Just an idea.

If there was going to be a multiplayer in the TES series, it could only end in three possible ways:

a) co-op

b) some sort of arena mode

c) mmo

To make a comprehensive style of multiplayer, resources must be placed at the start of pre-production. However I don't think it's even possible with the modding community creating cheat items and cheating through-out multiplayer (who remembers dungon siege?). There is just too much work and I don't think that Beth is really interested. It would be interesting if Beth goes into mmo's but it's more likely that they want to focus on publishing and creating more Fallout/TES.

I theory multiplayer in a TES game could work with mods even. Best way I can think of to do it would be the host starts up a game, the server checks the mods installed and then proceeds to give the player joining the game a temp data directory to pull info from while they play. It wouldn't muddy up their SP install, but allows compatibility between players over the net. As an example, I know, it's a much different game, but the game Blockland does exactly that.

A MMO would use a different engine and would probably end up sucking.

And the TES MMO won't be a numbered release in the series. And BGS won't be developing it, they are most likely to continue with SP games. it'll likely be zenimax online. Google search for all the rumours that a tes mmo is actually the what the unnamed project is that they are working on. Another year or so and I'd expect some news on what the thing is supposed to be, it's been a while now..

A MMO would use a different engine and would probably end up sucking.

And the TES MMO won't be a numbered release in the series. And BGS won't be developing it, they are most likely to continue with SP games. it'll likely be zenimax online. Google search for all the rumours that a tes mmo is actually the what the unnamed project is that they are working on. Another year or so and I'd expect some news on what the thing is supposed to be, it's been a while now..

Zenimax online is working on something, but why would it be a TES game if its a huge desert with a bunch of rocks? I guess it could be taking place in the desert region of tamerial but I find that unlikely. That or they have a random graphic for no reason that just symbolizes openess and a freeworld.

Edited by marharth