Games are like way 2 expensive!

meluvseveryone

Dunno if most of you remember back in the day when NES, SNES, and Sega were out...but those games cost $50-60. The price of video games hasn't gone up at all in over 20 years. We're pretty lucky, if games went up like how food, gas, and clothing has gone up, they would probably cost $80-100.

The price of games hasn't gone up primarily because they've become easier to make, easier to produce, and easier to ship as time has gone on. The exposure of games has also increased, so what was once a market of only about a couple million gamers in the US, Europe and Japan, is now in the hundreds of millions worldwide. With the wider audience comes more customers and larger budgets without taking a loss in profits since the cost is distributed among more customers. The stuffs the physical game are made out of have become much less expensive, and many cases the cost of the product is primarily just in the shipping and packaging of the physical item.

The prices in Australia are probably because EB games has a sort of monopoly on sales because online retailers don't ship to Australia, and they don't have much domestic competition.

Indeed...CDs/DVDs are so easy to spit out these days compared to a cartridge. It would just be hilarious if someone went back to the cartridge, imagine how big they would be :P

Why don't they ship to Australia? Rules or something? That just sucks, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't order stuff online :(

Indeed...CDs/DVDs are so easy to spit out these days compared to a cartridge. It would just be hilarious if someone went back to the cartridge, imagine how big they would be :P

Why don't they ship to Australia? Rules or something? That just sucks, I don't know what I would do if I couldn't order stuff online :(

Import taxes, costs related to geographic position, no direct shipping routes... Mostly. Although air freight might be a little better in some ways, it isn't practical for large shipments.

Import taxes, costs related to geographic position, no direct shipping routes... Mostly. Although air freight might be a little better in some ways, it isn't practical for large shipments.

I wouldnt be so sure about the shipping routes thing, at the airport my flight school operates from there are generally 2-3 air freight planes per day, which then get offloaded onto trucks and taken to the trainyard my father works at.

As for freight shipping, then no, not really. The port is extremely shallow and cant take a lot of new, large ships. To get an idea of how shallow, you can stand in it and have your head above water.

Edited by CommanderCrazy

I wouldnt be so sure about the shipping routes thing, at the airport my flight school operates from there are generally 2-3 air freight planes per day, which then get offloaded onto trucks and taken to the trainyard my father works at.

As for freight shipping, then no, not really. The port is extremely shallow and cant take a lot of new, large ships. To get an idea of how shallow, you can stand in it and have your head above water.

Yes, that is another point that i forgot. The reefs and shallows around Australia probably prevent larger shipping vessels from being able to get to land, save for a few ports.

...Actually, the cartridge wouldn't be at all big to hold a game. Considering flash storage, if a cartridge was the size of the SNES's it would be ~32GB, HD support, and when compared to the disk media currently available, can be read much faster. Not to mention the durability!

In fact, I would not be surprised if consoles go back to cartridges within a decade because of the major advances made when compared to disks.

...Actually, the cartridge wouldn't be at all big to hold a game. Considering flash storage, if a cartridge was the size of the SNES's it would be ~32GB, HD support, and when compared to the disk media currently available, can be read much faster. Not to mention the durability!

In fact, I would not be surprised if consoles go back to cartridges within a decade because of the major advances made when compared to disks.

Yes, and possibly no.

Cartridges still weigh more and take up more physical space than a disc (since too small means people can't grip them or are likely to lose them). They also tend to require more time in manufacturing since each cartridge is a circuit board that the memory is mounted to, compared with a disc. The cartridge takes a wider variety of materials, some of them more expensive, and is more prone to (costly) defects and needs more manual testing in QC checks (since bad wiring can lead to shorts and damaged components).

Sound like the Australian Software Inudstry should step up their game and put out a couple Triple A title games to garner more attention to them.

They did some AAA like LA Noire but the developer went under weeks after that. It's either too expensive to develop here or they have bad business practices. Coupled with the Two-speed economy, you wonder why the Govt doesn't spread out the economy while it still can.

one reason why games could be getting more and more expensive to buy is look at the way they are made with good as GFX and the online capable features. and some of the games today of famous voice over actors and on screen actors aswell. :dance: