Should Canadian Authority arrest George Bush?

ffa1mf

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't tell something to someone who I hated, that is for sure.

And therein lies your problem. These people hate us. The sooner folks realize that, the sooner people will realize why certain harsh methods of interrogation are necessary to get the info they don't want to tell us.

Something we've been quite successful at doing without the use of torture btw.

I wouldn't tell something to someone who I hated, that is for sure.

And therein lies your problem. These people hate us. The sooner folks realize that, the sooner people will realize why certain harsh methods of interrogation are necessary to get the info they don't want to tell us.

Something we've been quite successful at doing without the use of torture btw.

They hate us, and won't like us anymore if we act like assholes in interrogation.

Some people will give up info, some won't. It really depends on the person, not the technique.

They hate us, and won't like us anymore if we act like assholes in interrogation.

Some people will give up info, some won't. It really depends on the person, not the technique.

They're also not going to like us more if we're dripping with niceness either. It's a fundamental difference in ideology that a whole bunch of people just don't get.

The torture methods used at Gitmo, etc., are similar to interrogation methods the police used in America up to around the 1930's. Sleep deprivation, water boarding, beating, humiliation, etc. Do you know why the police stopped doing that? It wasn't because the courts in this country began saying "Hey that is unconstitutional you better stop doing that or will we overturn every single conviction you 'earn' on these 'criminals' you arrest" it was because the police began to realize that the society they were supposed to protect hated and mistrusted them because of their methods.

Lessons learned, and forgotten, sadly, on a darker chapter in American history. Few people today are even aware of what it was like in this country just barely a century ago.

Most of these prisoners who are being subjected to 'torture' aren't in a position where the information they volunteer is directly related to, and required to prevent the imminent death of innocents...the use of these methods is completely and utterly unacceptable for general investigatory purposes.

Edited by lukertin

Sleep deprivation, water boarding, beating, humiliation, etc

And the only one in this particular list that rises to actual torture is beatings, and I'm sorry, but there is no evidence that such things have taken place at Gitmo. It didn't get the nickname "Club Gitmo" for nothing.

"In 2007, after a U.S. Supreme Court ruling compelled the White House to bring the CIA program into compliance with the Geneva Convention, President Bush signed an executive order that outlined detainees' rights to the "basic necessities of life." The order listed "adequate food and water, shelter from the elements, necessary clothing" and protection from extreme heat and cold. But it made no mention of sleep as a basic necessity."

Sleep deprivation falls under the aegis of Hard Interrogation not torture and has been one of the most effective methods of acquiring timely intel of attacks on the US prior to the event. It was in use even by the Allies as far back as WW II, all signatories of the Geneva Accords. In the Justice Department memos, sleep deprivation was described as part of a "baseline" phase of interrogation, categorized as less severe than other "corrective" or "coercive" methods.

And the only one in this particular list that rises to actual torture is beatings, and I'm sorry, but there is no evidence that such things have taken place at Gitmo. It didn't get the nickname "Club Gitmo" for nothing.

If you are subjected continually to panicked feelings of drowning, how is that not torture? I think being subjected every 5 minutes to thoughts of "Oh god im going to drown" sufficiently constitutes torture

If you are subjected continually to panicked feelings of drowning, how is that not torture? I think being subjected every 5 minutes to thoughts of "Oh god im going to drown" sufficiently constitutes torture

BUT YOUR NOT BEING BRUISED SO ITS PERFECTLY OKAY!

/sarcasm