Why is the destruction tree limited to Fire, Frost and Lightning?

Nuudules

Fire can catch on the environment dealing damage to anyone who crosses it. Also when an enemy is at 10% health they may try to flee

When an enemy is below 10% health they may disintegrate.

When an enemy is below 10% health there is a chance that they "freeze" and are paralyzed.

These sound really, really cool but may I ask for the source to this? I never read any article that mentioned these.

I'll try to find it...

[edit] its in the perk trees. They are perks that you can get for each spell type.

Shock damage chance to disintegrate targets if their health is under 10%

Frost damage chance to paralyse targets if health low

Fire damage chance to make low health enemies flee

as for the environmental fire doing damage... todd says it when fighting the spider in the demo I believe.

Edited by Odai

For me it wasn't the limited types of magic that was the problem. I felt that there wasn't enough animation and light and all that shiny stuff. The reason I play a wizard in TES Games is because there's nothing better than destroying a foe in a blaze of lights and effects. The disappointment was that every spell of each element had almost exactly the same look about them. I first realised this way back when I did the Cheydinhal Mages Guild Recommendation and got exited aboutthe Fingers of the Mountain spell. It was a shame when I saw it looked the same as any other lightning spell.. Midas Magic solved this problem and then some, and I regret that I never managed to play it quite enough.

Though I know how time consuming and difficult this can be to make new spell effects and animations, it would be nice even if smaller things happened, like a more effective fireball being bigger and redder, with the most powerful being very large with a white-blue-red-orange type flame. Also, in Oblivion, when you made your own spell the dominant effect would give the animation. I think it would add great diversity if a damage health and lightning effect spell (for example) would give something like red lighting bolts as opposed to the same animation for your common lightning spell.

This was in Oblivion, and I don't know if it's going to change in Skyrim. I hope so.

Well you will be happy... at least with lightning. A journalist mentioned necromancers casting a variety of lightning colors.

-

Earth-Quicksand Rune

-

Lightning should have a way to counter it in some form.

Perhaps if you cast lightning while being struck you Absorb the damage and multiply your attack. so you become a conduit for the attack.

<Much like Uncle Iroh's own trick in the Last airbender.>

-

Frost can be countered with a fire attack and vice cersa. But lightning bypasses any defense other than lightning itself.

-

Pure Light based attacks?

-

Air-We still DO NOT know what the 3 tiered verson of Fus Roh Da does....The trailer cut out as it occured...they must have done that ofr a reason...

Air-Perhaps in future titles when Shouts are no longer an option it can be a Nonletha spell.

Such as a way to back enemies off or trip them. Perhaps with a pecific technique you can create and eventually control windstorms.

-

Air-Suffocation pockets?

-

Earth-earhbender attack where spires arise and attack from the ground,Ceiling.

I like the sound of acid, but not by itself. Say a chemical branch instead. Then there can be poisons, alkaline metals or just pH base chemicals (burn people's skin and to counter acid), and not to mention combustions.

Actually that essentially is alchemy... :whistling:

I believe air suffocation pockets would be more like a misc spell at all, the point of it was to point out imagination.

There may not be the same chemicals exactly but it would seem that the nature of reactions yields similar results. For example... flax seeds and venison... tasty and healthy :D

I'd like to see more 'traditional' spells. Darkness, blindness, Melf's Acid Arrow, familiar summonings, and creative uses of existing things. As it is right now, it seems like Skyrim's magic/combat system only encourages more generic all-round characters. What happened to having pros and cons for some character builds?