Request for a proofread of a Settlement Mod Guide, please.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright Settlement Builders, I have a unique issue.

I figured out what was causing my save file to display Error: something about strings, which was that the game wasn't recognizing the location data to put the location in the save title. So I started using the vanilla locations/markers as much as possible to streamline the process and make everything play well.

That brings me to this issue. I set up everything at Mass Fusion Disposal for a test Children of Atom settlement. Everything seemed to be working except the Children of Atom would spawn there but wouldn't be assignable. The icon showing the settlement stats was at Mass Gravel & Sand. I looked at the Creation Kit and seen that the location for the Disposal had a location reference I couldn't delete to that location. Probably a massive bug by Bethesda.

As a side note, it did get me thinking that maybe Mass Fusion stands for Massachusetts Fusion instead of mass meaning a lot or matter, since it was linked to Massachusetts Gravel & Sand.

So would creating my own location and zone fix the issue? And how would I avoid the save file string issue?

i had a similar issue with salem and it turned out that there was ANOTHER map marker there that i didnt see causing a lot of crap. That location had three markers. one like an umbrella very high up over the whole area called SALEM and under it we had barney's Bunker...and the resting home , finally i made a Forth marker and put it in a un-named wilderness cell and "stole" the location names from the cells that were named "barney's Bunker" to my own and the mod finally worked.

To add i also shrunk the salem marker to 1/8th of the size too ..:P )

Basically you have to "break" some areas for them to function like if they have any side quests etc....they wont work after...so i usually warn my users to clear the area BEFORE installing my mod... Then again we have the idiots that install without reading the Description and come crying after...

Yeah, Greek is right, and it is everywhere. That is why I so adamant about checking your location so thoroughly, and also, while working the Institute, I told you make sure your map marker was in an "empty" Wilderness cell. Be extra careful of built in "workshop" locations, they can be awful to deal with. RRS has two of them. Also, like Greek had, those map markers with the GIANT yellow circles often need to be shrunk down, I've avoided doing that to Lexington, but I think it's finally going to happen. Sometimes they are a mile in the sky, other times under the ground or inside a building.

The marker for Mass Fusion Containment LOCATION is also under the North End Church Graveyard in vanilla... I suppose then, Geno, when your Disposal site comes out, you'll have to mention you were forced to fix Mass Gravel and Sand to make it work.

It'll be an experimental feature. I'm unsure what effect having settlements at Kingsport Lighthouse and Mass Fusion Disposal will have on the quest Taking Point: Kingsport Lighthouse and one of the Operators Nuka-World extortion missions, respectively. I'd like to think that Bethesda wrote it so that if the settlement is already captured, then Minuteman quest won't activate or it'll auto-complete. Same things with the Nuka-World quest, I would hope that it wouldn't activate because it'll see the Super Mutant as dead and move onto the next one. That being said, that could be unrealistic expectations from this game. Both require extensive grinding to hopefully get the quest or be reasonably certain that it's safe to do.

The more time I spend in the CK the more I understand why some mods have problems that neither the users or mod authors can figure out, cause it looks like some Beth employees got in a real hurry. I'm with Speedy on this, Beth must have had different people make just about every settlement or area, cause there doesn't seem to be much consistency in most places.

When I extended my Kingsport borders I was setting the wilderness cells to Kingsport Location and one of the cells was already set to Greygarden ( they must have edited that late on a Friday afternoon).

Now my question, has anyone found a way or know if it's possible to have an interior settlement and an exterior settlement combined and share the location resources such as people, food, etc., or can they only ever be 2 separate settlements? Also, I know NPCs can't use elevators on their own, but can they use lifts like the ones on the overpasses, or are those considered the same as elevators?

Huge difference between sharing resources like scrap, and resources like beds. If you can make it so I can share beds between an interior and an exterior that'd be hmm great, yeah.

EDIT: Also, elevators are fine, I don't get where the problem lies here, as long as they can zone away, lifts are bad though.

The more time I spend in the CK the more I understand why some mods have problems that neither the users or mod authors can figure out, cause it looks like some Beth employees got in a real hurry. I'm with Speedy on this, Beth must have had different people make just about every settlement or area, cause there doesn't seem to be much consistency in most places.

When I extended my Kingsport borders I was setting the wilderness cells to Kingsport Location and one of the cells was already set to Greygarden ( they must have edited that late on a Friday afternoon).

Now my question, has anyone found a way or know if it's possible to have an interior settlement and an exterior settlement combined and share the location resources such as people, food, etc., or can they only ever be 2 separate settlements? Also, I know NPCs can't use elevators on their own, but can they use lifts like the ones on the overpasses, or are those considered the same as elevators?

The problem with the elevators and lifts is the scripting, its specifically written to only allow the player to activate them, so even if the npc actually interacted with the device they would just stand there and the elevator / lift wouldn't do anything. Perhaps if someone was to rewrite the defaultelevatormaster script to allow npc's to interact with them, they may work, however it may cause problems too, as I've noticed with some npc settlers they will consistently wander back and forth between two objects while others wander around more so. I prefer using the invisible door method to make it "appear" that they used the elevator to transport between floors / cells.

@geno-I tried that mod at the beginning of my present playthrough, could'nt get one single aspect of it to work for me, had to uninstall, thanks though. :)

@Tarsis-That's kinda what I thought about the resources(not scrap), also I've tried assigning settlers to stations only accessable by elevator, they never go there for me.

@caleb- Could you provide a link or explain the invisible door method please?