Request for a proofread of a Settlement Mod Guide, please.

Interesting. It worked for me. You should still ask the author.

The raiders were unassignable, everything in the workshop menu was invisible when I placed it, and Red Tourette was hostile against me and all the raider settlers, I didn't want to bother the author with that many problems, lol.

And after I uninstalled, I went back to just kill them all, and they were all naked with no heads, so I just left it at that. ;)

Edited by Vormina

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No I meant ask the author how they linked things. The rest of it was probably a conflict somewhere between that and anything else you had going on.

Here's a copy and paste of what they said when I asked them the first time I asked:

"I created a separate location for the interior, which was the big thing: you can't have an interior and exterior cell have the same workshop location. As for linking the resources, I can't remember the exact method, but it was super simple. Something like adding the workshop benches to each other by adding them as linked refs. I'm pretty proud of the unlimited raider follower system I crafted. That, and the settler dialogue for them. Spent quite a few hours getting around Bethesda's if-it's-not-broken-we'll-fix-it-anyway changes to the dialogue system."

&

"I'll just cover what that guide doesn't:

By default, the interior cell and exterior cell use the same location record; you can find those in the CK's object window under "World Data". This f*#@s up the settlement system rather royally.

What you do, is you make a completely new location record for the interior, and add the LocTypeWorkshop, LocTypeSettlement, LocTypeWorkshopSettlement (or whatever the three keywords are) to it. You then add the interior cell to the location; right-click the entry for the cell -> Edit, then set it's location to your newly created one.

You will then have to give the navmesh a huge amount of loving, in order to support scrapping some of the objects. You can compare my changes to the Stockpile Ration Interior cell to vanilla, to get an understanding of what you are aiming for. For the workflow, see my article on Fallout 4's navmesh here: http://www.creationkit.com/fallout4/index.php?title=Category:Navmesh

One thing you will have to look out for, are objects that shouldn't be scrapped. For example, a wooden crate that has an idlemarker next to it. If the player scraps the crate, the idle marker will still be there, and it'll look bloody odd with an NPC floating midair. To prevent the player from scrapping it, make a duplicate base record of the crate, and replace it (it's some function under one of drop-down lists, at the top-left of the window) with your duplicated one. Since our duplicate doesn't have any associated formlists that would allow the player to scrap it, as we haven't made any, we're A-OK.

Once you've finished the cell; navmesh edits, made sure that nothing "important" (used by NPCs, basically) will be scrappable, navmesh has the precuts linked, the workbench is setup correctly, etc., you then will have to regenerate the precombined data + previs for precombined geometry. Sounds intense, but it's an automated thing; click the CK's drop-down list entry for it, wait, et voila."

Invisible door method is just that, put in two portals, one at either end of elevator, linked, they go in one, out the other. If you want time in between, you can have them go to an interior cell, travel then come out, but time spent on interior cell is rather arbitrary, see my WRVR if you want to see invisible doors in action to and from an interior cell as in vanilla.

It linked workshop buildable resources, but not people, beds, etc. It was like 2 separate settlements with a "provisioner" link just like Fading Signals Basement living.

The raiders outside didn't count towards population inside and vice versa.

Invisible door method is just that, put in two portals, one at either end of elevator, linked, they go in one, out the other. If you want time in between, you can have them go to an interior cell, travel then come out, but time spent on interior cell is rather arbitrary, see my WRVR if you want to see invisible doors in action to and from an interior cell as in vanilla.

So if you assign settlers to a resource using this method they will travel through the portal to get to it? Sweet and thanks.

Fun fact, Bethesda doesn't support modding. In particular, they do not support the Creation Kit using just the Fallout4.esm according to emails I got when trying to find out why the Creation Kit was crashing with no mods loaded, completely vanilla.

(Only skimming)

No door will ever be used by npc's if the navmesh isn't under it and finalized.

There are "invisibledoor"'s and "autoloaddoor"'s.

2 completely different things.

I have my transportation script for a cell to cell player only movement trigger, that I can post if need be (at least o think I do...somewhere).