Vanilla Oblivion Refuses To Run

Hi, I'm having a bit of an issue. After a couple years of running Oblivion fine on this computer, including numerous uninstalls and reinstalls as I grew bored and then came back, the game has finally started refusing to run. At first, I tried unmodded Oblivion, installed into a Games directory, and got a CTD before even reaching the main menu. I uninnstalled and tried installing it into Program Files, still the same CTD. Not a single mod currently installed, and I'm installing from the disc, not even bothering with SI currently. Any ideas on why or how to fix it?

That's what I thought too. And no. I get the "Bethesda Softworks" ad, and then a CTD. It's like when you don't have a .esm file activated, but like I said, I'm running vanilla.

Just for the sake of it

fire up OBMM and be certain oblivion.esm is actually activated

of course if OBMM won't run, that indicated a different cause to your problem that you believe you have already addressed

Did you run CCleaner after uninstalling and before reinstalling?

Uninstalling Oblivion doesn't remove all the Windows Registry entries, and leftover entries will definately cause the problem you are experiencing.

From your last post it sounds like the original problem was registry related, but now you are experiencing mod-related issues.

Before you go thru yet another reinstall, try the following,testing after each step until the game runs;

1. Run BOSS

2. Rename the ini file and run the game from the stock Oblivion launcher. If it runs, make sure to save a game before exiting. If not, restore the name of the ini.

3. Go thru the readme files of all mods you installed to make sure you have all the required files for each.

4. Run TES4LODGen. This can tell you very specifically what is wrong in your LO.

If you end up reinstalling again, first make sure Vanilla runs. Before you add ANYTHING (OBMM, BOSS, OBSE, mods, DLC's...), install mTES4Manager and clone the working vanilla game. Keep the original as a backup, naver do anything to it. Install your utilities to the clone and start modding the new clone, if you break it all you will need to do is delete it via mTES4Manager and re-clone your vanilla backup. Only takes about 5 min., and beats the hell out of reinstalling.

Hope to hear some good news in your next post.