Size VS content saturation?

Goliath978

More space, less stuff. Well, same amount of stuff, more space. There ought to be a sense of wilderness, of wandering.

The big things for me though that really kind of damage the idea of space in a medieval fantasy setting are maps and lights. The perfect GPS system you have in Oblivion, and most games, really makes the world feel tiny and manageable. Maybe it's a bit too hardcore, but I'd love there to be a version of the game where you have to navigate manually. I've had to do this in Arma 2 a few times and it's really challenging and adds to the atmosphere. Reading the map, looking for landmarks, looking at a compass, finding your way. When you add that element to game play the world feels a lot bigger. Really when you're just essentially moving in direct lines between accurately placed map pointers, does it even really matter how big the world is? Dare I say it, it'd be nice to have a game where you can actually get lost.

Darkness is also something that games in this setting miss. If nights were properly dark, as in pitch dark as they should be on a moonless or overcast night, and if caves and dungeons too were absolutely unlit, then the world would feel bigger again, because your area of awareness would shrink. Caves and underground locations wouldn't just be places you pop into for a look, they'd be foreboding, they'd be unwelcoming. Plus if there was a constant pressure to get to where you wanted to get before nightfall, that'd be cool too. Especially if you didn't have, as mentioned above, a perfect GPS and a map that knew exactly where you were.

Todd's claim for Skyrim's dungeon count is 150 hand-crafted dungeons, his claim for Oblivion's was 200 hand-crafted dungeons.Skyrim and Oblivion are about the same size, so it should be less dense. Edited by Corakus

I want to see something that has scale to it rather than just size. An epic plain, a huge mountain, something that's impressive to see rather than just being a flat forest. Oblivion lacked stuff like that, though I hope having most of Skyrim made out of Dive Rock replicas will fix it.

I like the big spaces. I like exploring and not being able to find all of the dungeons with my first character. New Vegas didn't have the replayability for me that F3 and Oblivion did. I think you also need big spaces for skills like Alchemy and Smithing. If your ingredients are clustered together that's no good. I like how in Oblivion the different counties had different flora. I travel to these large, different spaces just for harvesting specific plants and enjoying the scenery.

The bigger the better... like EQ. I want forests that take 20-30 minutes in real time to run through; make it as close to a realistic size as possible and I will play it that much longer.