Is it just me, or is the mod community not quite what Skyrim's was.

Comfortblynumb2

There is a list of all the player character and other character dialogue available to download so you can read all the lines and have the file locations. That's how I add lines for characters like Whitechapel Charlie or Claire or the old guy painting the wall in Diamond City. I just look up the line I need and add it.

You cannot write a script for an event to send the player to a location without first having a location to send them to. I can't write the code for a murder investigation scene without first having the objects in place to reference in that code...

It isn't to each his own, it is a neccessary order of operations. You place items down before you can link to them...

Where's the download located? And by script I mean like a stage script not papyrus script. I write about the lore of a location what it looks like and how it feels then I create the area. But according to Danneyo you wrote those ahead of time before the CK came out which makes alot of sense.

I think you and I both know that the likelihood of any situation requiring a set of more than six different options is low. If you have more than that, being more than two sets of options, that's more poor conversation design than anything else.

well an example of this would be having ultimate follower overhaul installed and having Serena as an companion, you have the basic talk, dismiss, command, inventory, train, ask them to blood tip arrows, and talk about your current situation. I liked this compared to having to open up menus like you do in fo4, the list (on pc anyways) is alot more clean and faster than a 4 selection command/chat window. Edited by jangofett890

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a list of all the player character and other character dialogue available to download so you can read all the lines and have the file locations. That's how I add lines for characters like Whitechapel Charlie or Claire or the old guy painting the wall in Diamond City. I just look up the line I need and add it.

You cannot write a script for an event to send the player to a location without first having a location to send them to. I can't write the code for a murder investigation scene without first having the objects in place to reference in that code...

It isn't to each his own, it is a neccessary order of operations. You place items down before you can link to them...

Where's the download located? And by script I mean like a stage script not papyrus script. I write about the lore of a location what it looks like and how it feels then I create the area. But according to Danneyo you wrote those ahead of time before the CK came out which makes a lot of sense.

I had over 400 pages of dialogue and all of my pre-production planned out and finished months ago. Half my stuff is already voice acted... Right now I am just waiting for the other half of those voice actors while I spend my time working in the Creation Kit creating all this stuff so the mod actually functions.

All that fun code stuff that non-mod authors think is just magic, but in reality it is time consuming boring work.

I planned very far ahead, and even with all that planning, 1 month and 10 days isn't even near enough time for me to release a quest mod on the Nexus.

You can't start blaming anything on quest mods not being released until you actually first give them time to be released... If 3 or 4 more months pass and stuff isn't getting uploaded, then we can actually have a conversation about it. That time has not come.

I personally am far more excited about modding with player character dialogue, and I find the 4 option dialogue to be much more natural for the style of writing I personally do.

As far as the link, I honestly don't keep track of all those links I have... If I had it handy I would give it to you, but I don't.

Edited by TeamBacon

Where's the download located? And by script I mean like a stage script not papyrus script. I write about the lore of a location what it looks like and how it feels then I create the area. But according to Danneyo you wrote those ahead of time before the CK came out which makes a lot of sense.

I had over 400 pages of dialogue and all of my pre-production planned out and finished months ago. Half my stuff is already voice acted... Right now I am just waiting for the other half of those voice actors while I spend my time working in the Creation Kit creating all this stuff so the mod actually functions.

I planned very far ahead, and even with all that planning, 1 month and 10 days isn't even near enough time for me to release a quest mod on the Nexus.

You can't start blaming anything on quest mods not being released until you actually first give them time to be released... If 3 or 4 more months pass and stuff isn't getting uploaded, then we can actually have a conversation about it. That time has not come.

I personally am far more excited about modding with player character dialogue, and I find the 4 option dialogue to be much more natural for the style of writing I personally do.

As far as the link, I honestly don't keep track of all those links I have... If I had it handy I would give it to you, but I don't.

400 pages? Are you making a new project Brazil or something? That's amazing, best to luck to you with that. Also where do you find voice actors, I have a few people I know willing to act but only 2 of them can do good voice acting.

And certainly the 4 dialogue choices can make things easier or harder, and even challenge the modder to have their dialogue fit naturally in this perspective, and about the whole list of voiced dialogue I only asked because "fallout 4 protagonist list of dialogue" doesn't return anything besides news articles about the protagonist being voiced.

400 pages? Are you making a new project Brazil or something? That's amazing, best to luck to you with that. Also where do you find voice actors, I have a few people I know willing to act but only 2 of them can do good voice acting.

And certainly the 4 dialogue choices can make things easier or harder, and even challenge the modder to have their dialogue fit naturally in this perspective, and about the whole list of voiced dialogue I only asked because "fallout 4 protagonist list of dialogue" doesn't return anything besides news articles about the protagonist being voiced.

I just remembered that there is a 'download history' on the Nexus. So lucky you.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/7273/?

400 pages is what it takes for a small mod... I'm sure something like project Brazil is in the 1,000s easily. But you have to remember, if you write 400, you will probably only end up using 200, unless you are magic and can simply write a final copy your first time through. A lot of stuff I wrote was bad and I tossed it when I started to see my final vision come to form.

But my mod is very story and dialogue heavy, my main focus is on creating interesting character interactions and playing with the interactive dialogue system to feel like you are having real conversations as opposed to having it feel like you are interviewing someone for a job like in Fallout 3.

I am not creating any new land masses or anything crazy like that. Just adding a few new interiors and a small town or two into the vanilla map. Everything else is just my plot of 5 short stories intertwined into one larger web.

4 out of my 5 stories can be solved without violence. This also makes my job easier as a modder.

But you wouldn't like my mod, because you seem to not like the 4 choice system or the voice protagonist. I personally love the direction is going, I want Fallout to be more like Mass Effect. *You don't have to agree, but I can mod how I wan't since it is my free time I'm using to do it* I embrace the changes Bethesda made and I run with it. If you are against what Bethesda did in Fallout 4, you will only find disappointment if you download my mod.

But you wouldn't like my mod, because you seem to not like the 4 choice system or the voice protagonist. I personally love the direction is going, I want Fallout to be more like Mass Effect. *You don't have to agree, but I can mod how I wan't since it is my free time I'm using to do it* I embrace the changes Bethesda made and I run with it. If you are against what Bethesda did in Fallout 4, you will only find disappointment if you download my mod.

Well I feel like I'd like your mod if it was like NewVegas rather than fallout 3, from what you're telling me it seems interesting. I've never really played mass effect or the Witcher or Deus Ex series because they have an established character, and I like to create my own, and have a reflection of myself, or role play as that character. It's extremely difficult to do that in games when the protagonist or whoever you are playing as has a huge back story. And largely due to this is why I think there inevitably will be less mods for fo4 than the tes series and previous fallout games as you have less control over who you are in the game. However even though I've not read your story you are creating, over 400 pages of a script is an effort of love and i feel like I'd offend you if I didn't at least try your modmod, or just outright say it was bad without playing it.

Edit: also thanks for the link, will help alot in my mods.

Edited by jangofett890

Well I feel like I'd like your mod if it was like NewVegas rather than fallout 3...

Maybe more like New Vegas than Fallout 3, but definitely more Fallout 4 than New Vegas.

I personally believe that in order to write good dialogue you have to put some sort of life into the player character who is speaking to that NPC. Otherwise that NPC is speaking into a blank space, they have nobody to volley the tennis ball that is a conversation back and forth with, they can't develop a bond or banter.

So I most definitely do a lot more of that than New Vegas, though probably less than vanilla Fallout 4 but in what I personally consider to be a more effective way.

I do realize that most of the people playing my mod will be Fallout and Elder Scrolls players primarily, so even though I do give the player character certain lines that really add to the conversation, I didn't really do anything that defines him or her very much. So my answer to the problem of not having a strong context to bounce the npc's words off of was to use 3 or 4 character conversations as much as possible,

Basically, I will have the player talking to two characters and have those 2 characters bounce dialogue off each other in interesting ways that really sharpens and shows off their personalities, but then let the player guide that conversation.

Basically, I don't believe strong characters can develop in a void without others to interact with.

I also believe choices should take place outside of dialogue as much as possible, so that things don't start feeling like a menu crawler. Why have a dialogue option for the player to use 'intelligence' to activate that switch, when you can use your mouse or Xbox controller to select that switch and activate it using 'intelligence'? Dialogue is in real time now! You don't have to be stuck inside the menu!

And lastly, I believe choices are formed over time and not just in a single dialogue option. I don't want to just give the player all the choices lines up in a dialogue menu... that is bland... It is all the things you do leading up to the big choices that really define you.

It isn't having 15 choices to a dialogue option that gives you role playing freedom, but the ability to guide that branching dialogue tree in a direction. The ability to see your character form through the small choices. Choices in which I often only use 2 or 3 of the options for. Why? Because it is not necessary to make something convoluted to feel like your choices matter... To me it is about having the small things add up to slowly build who your character is.

So anyways, you can download my mod if you want, I would never stop you. If you want to read some of my dialogue and tell me how much you don't like it, I will private message it to you. But I don't think you would like it, I don't think you would like my vision of role playing, because I definitely respectfully disagree with yours.

*I personally don't think you should go into a game with a character already planned in your head saying, 'This character is going to be like this, that, and that... I'm going to make these kind of choices and play this specific way... Lets go start the game now!'

I think that limits your enjoyment of the game itself and doesn't allow the events taking place to change and define who your character becomes. I personally love being surprised by who my character becomes.

I love it when I am playing a goody-goody and the plot of the game twists and I change my decision making process on the fly and end up letting my emotions for that game corrupt my character into something the I never expected. I love that change in the role of my character based on outside forces.

I don't like to play a game and have to make up all the stuff in my own head. People have often accused me of not being creative because I don't like to do that, but I think the fact that I am writing a novel and make my own complex story mods should show you that is not true... The simple fact is, if I want to create it all, I will write my own game. That's not why I play other peoples games.*