Stolen Mods

BrianUK

What if the mod was made F4SE dependent?

While this is another level of protection, I don't see that as 100% either.

If your adding F4SE dependence to your mod when it doesn't need it (just to restrict people), what stops the pirate from removing the dependence and your mod works now?

I just don't see a third party tool as an solution you could depend on going forward. Absolutely no offense to the wonderful work of F4SE, just as a theoretical point.

So, what if we tried a different approach. Do you think there might be a way to install some file in our fallout 4 folders and then make that mod dependent on that file? I know I sound like an idiot right now, but I'm pretty sure that consoles are limited on how much they can do with their core files and I know ini changes won't work. Wouldn't a modular design be an option. As it is, you can only download one file at a time on Beth.net, so that may be advantageous to anyone trying to block this.

Mainly the problem is anything can be reverse engineered. And when they have to use the CK on a PC to upload the mod, they are already in the environment to remove what you added.

You have a loose 'key' file for you mod? They just upload it as is, and it works on console too.

You have code to only create the 'key' file on PC? They change one line of your code to write that file on all platforms.

You have code to 'refuse to run' on console? They remove it or change one line of code again.

You make it dependent on F4SE? They remove the dependence.

All of these things are steps that can help, but can't 100% stop piracy. And all of these solutions make the mod author go to a bunch of trouble adding design and coding that they really didn't need.

I for one don't really want to go to the trouble.

Pirates gonna steal... I'm not sure what we should do about it.

Could sound crazy, but Bethesda can setup a double redundancy check in partnership with Nexus when uploading to B.Net. When a Modder or a "Modder" wants to upload the mod, Bethesda needs to confirm the mod itself has a Nexus page associated with it. If there is no associated page with the mod, then the mod can't be uploaded. Once the page is verified, a e-mail will be sent to the mod creator confirming that if the mod in question should be uploaded and the mod creator can either accept or deny and that can be the second check.

The argument against for something like this will be the pirates can just create new nexus accounts and just upload at will, or Nexus should not have the extra ownership check for something Bethesda created, however, so far Nexus accountability system has is good (that's why I believe modder upload here because there a certain level of security knowing if their mod gets stolen and reup on the Nexus, it will be found out quick.) Other argument is that will be that just funnel all mod that wants to be put on the Xbox to one source (Nexus), but my argument would be Nexus has already put in place a decent scrub for mods that can even be considered to be put on consoles with their individual guidelines. The other part of the argument for this is you need to standardize the source of the information in order to prevent misappropriated data. Again if this route is taken, this will cause extra work on the Nexus staff.

Mainly the problem is anything can be reverse engineered. And when they have to use the CK on a PC to upload the mod, they are already in the environment to remove what you added.

You have a loose 'key' file for you mod? They just upload it as is, and it works on console too.

You have code to only create the 'key' file on PC? They change one line of your code to write that file on all platforms.

You have code to 'refuse to run' on console? They remove it or change one line of code again.

All of these things are steps that can help, but can't 100% stop piracy. And all of these solutions make the mod author go to a bunch of trouble adding design and coding that they really didn't need.

Yes anything can be reversed engineered but the more that these pirates have to do to get a mod cleaned the more they might be discouraged since after-all they aren't making anything off of doing it so why would they want to bother doing it? Yes nothing is 100% but that can be said of just about anything. But make it a hassle and maybe most will just give up bothering.

Yes anything can be reversed engineered but the more that these pirates have to do to get a mod cleaned the more they might be discouraged since after-all they aren't making anything off of doing it so why would they want to bother doing it? Yes nothing is 100% but that can be said of just about anything. But make it a hassle and maybe most will just give up bothering.

You're totally right. It's just a bummer that it puts the responsibility on the modder to go to extra effort to set up even a small barrier to thieves.

And then if some awesome modder comes up with a great solution that would work for everyone, if they dare to share it the pirates see it too.

So now we are relegated to 'each roll your own custom DRM scheme'.

I just wish there was a better way.

Hello Nexus users. As a console gamer (soon to be PC gamer), I apologize for all the mod piracy that's been going on at Bethesda.net. I understand that Bethesda.net is hard to navigate (I sometimes have trouble finding what I want to download onto my Xbox One). I appreciate those who have shared their work with the decent folks of the Xbox community. I ask that you don't give up on the console community because of the handful of idiots that don't know the meaning of patientience. Thank you for all your hard work on creating mods. Again, sorry for what's been going on Bethesda.net. Edited by AlexM3789

Hello Nexus users. As a console gamer (soon to be PC gamer), I apologize on behalf of all the idiots, who decided it was best to steal someone's work rather than wait patiently for the mod author to upload the mod himsef. I understand that Bethesda.net is hard to navigate (I sometimes have trouble finding what I want to download onto my Xbox One). I appreciate those who have shared their work with the decent folks of the Xbox community. I ask that you don't give up on the console community because of the handful of idiots that don't know the meaning of patientience. Thank you for all your hard work on creating mods. Again, sorry for what's been going on Bethesda.net.

Do not fret...I have seen it in a vision...the Console Thuggery Knaves will be defeated! Long live the PC MASTER RACE!!!

Edited by yzerman19

Hello Nexus users. As a console gamer (soon to be PC gamer), I apologize on behalf of all the idiots, who decided it was best to steal someone's work rather than wait patiently for the mod author to upload the mod himsef. I understand that Bethesda.net is hard to navigate (I sometimes have trouble finding what I want to download onto my Xbox One). I appreciate those who have shared their work with the decent folks of the Xbox community. I ask that you don't give up on the console community because of the handful of idiots that don't know the meaning of patientience. Thank you for all your hard work on creating mods. Again, sorry for what's been going on Bethesda.net.

Do not fret...I have seen it in a vision...the Console Thuggery Knaves will be defeated! Long live the PC MASTER RACE!!!

Hopefully, those thieves are making us look bad. Hell, I'm debating on whether I should just move over to PC permanently.

some of us who have hidden our mods are just on strike. This doesn't mean we are not still modding it just means we are not uploading them anywhere and keeping our work close to the belt until beth get's their ducks in a row.

My mods are down for all platforms all games in protest but once this sorts it self out they will be back for everyone.