Do you own any firearms?

antonkr

@ihazbadluck Croatian Army, Sniper. By the way, that rifle is not good for a designated marksman, his job is to fire fast and accurately, and black arrow is bolt-action (there goes the speed) .

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shoot regularly, but don't have a firearms license or anything... most dangerous thing I own is a slingshot (a beast of a sling shot, not some kiddies toy, it can crack a human skull (did some tests with coconuts and animal skulls)

No not really not the kind that can kill anyway ... however, one weapons page i did visit had this slogan ... "Any tool is a weapon if you hold it right" ... guess that makes me lethal with my tweezers, hair brush, lip pencil, eye pencil and heels. Edited by Nintii

<br>How the hell were you carrying 2000 rounds?! The standard box size for my countries army is 200, so by those numbers you would have been carrying a whopping 10 boxes of rounds. Which kinda means you'd be too loaded to stand, let alone walk.<br>
<br><br>200 rounds of .223 caliber (5.56 mm) ammo weighs around 6.2 pounds, add a decimal point (for a total of 10 drums) and you have a full load out. I carried between 4 drums on me (and one on the weapon) and the rest in my battle pack which I carried on me most of the time. Didn't have to move very fast most of the time, but then again, I got used to it quick. Total battle load ( most of the time) was about 120 pounds of added weight to my frame of 220 pounds. (Including water, night vision, etc.) When I mounted the Humvee to slide into the turret, the whole vehicle would rock in the direction I came up on. Depended on the mission. I have pics of me carrying my full load out and usually a .50 BMG on my shoulder just offloading the Humvee from a mission. It was not easy and it took its toll on me, I will admit.<br><br>To antonkr:  Actually, it was the way we did it. If you were qualified on any machine gun, you got stuck in the turret for patrols. For dismounts and assaults, I was on the ground like the rest of the grunts with a backup (who carried an M4) in the turret. The longest "march" I did in country was a night insertion that was 5.72 klicks from our drop off point. Got to the village, reconned it and then boot scooted to a  Humvee pickup point 1 klick out.<br>Here is a funny story, I tripped going into a house in a friendly village. It took 4 guys to pick me up and place me on my feet. lol<br><h4><a href="user/1025971-antonkr/" title="View Profile"><br></a></h4> Edited by hawke1133

<br>How the hell were you carrying 2000 rounds?! The standard box size for my countries army is 200, so by those numbers you would have been carrying a whopping 10 boxes of rounds. Which kinda means you'd be too loaded to stand, let alone walk.<br>
<br><br>200 rounds of .223 caliber (5.56 mm) ammo weighs around 6.2 pounds, add a decimal point (for a total of 10 drums) and you have a full load out. I carried between 4 drums on me (and one on the weapon) and the rest in my battle pack which I carried on me most of the time. Didn't have to move very fast most of the time, but then again, I got used to it quick. Total battle load ( most of the time) was about 120 pounds of added weight to my frame of 220 pounds. (Including water, night vision, etc.) When I mounted the Humvee to slide into the turret, the whole vehicle would rock in the direction I came up on. Depended on the mission. I have pics of me carrying my full load out and usually a .50 BMG on my shoulder just offloading the Humvee from a mission. It was not easy and it took its toll on me, I will admit.<br><br>To antonkr:  Actually, it was the way we did it. If you were qualified on any machine gun, you got stuck in the turret for patrols. For dismounts and assaults, I was on the ground like the rest of the grunts with a backup (who carried an M4) in the turret. The longest "march" I did in country was a night insertion that was 5.72 klicks from our drop off point. Got to the village, reconned it and then boot scooted to a  Humvee pickup point 1 klick out.<br>Here is a funny story, I tripped going into a house in a friendly village. It took 4 guys to pick me up and place me on my feet. lol<br><h4><a href="user/1025971-antonkr/" title="View Profile"><br></a></h4>

I don't see how it still would be wise to have one of the most important people on a fireteam in the most dangerous position. As far as I know automatic rifleman is easily the most important person on a fireteam. I'd much rather lose a guy with an M4 to a sniper than a guy who knows and can operate an automatic weapon.

I am not too familiar with most real world tactics, (mostly ArmA 2) but I don't see how that would make sense.

[<snip>

I don't see how it still would be wise to have one of the most important people on a fireteam in the most dangerous position. As far as I know automatic rifleman is easily the most important person on a fireteam. I'd much rather lose a guy with an M4 to a sniper than a guy who knows and can operate an automatic weapon.

I am not too familiar with most real world tactics, (mostly ArmA 2) but I don't see how that would make sense.

Never made sense to me either, but most of the time we ran mounted patrols with two man teams from each Humvee for foot search. We were heavily undermanned over there, so we did not really have the manpower to cover everything. But the turret guns had to be manned. Go figure.

@antonkr It depends, a machine gunner is invaluabe in the open, he provides covering fire so the squad can move forward or retreat, depending on a situation. But he is nearly useless in a building and in tight spaces because he is overloaded on equipment and moves relatively slow. I covered several American squads, and their tactics seem to be a bit weird.

Example: Croatia uses this tactic when attacking with a small squad: 4-8 soldiers with AK 47s (troopers), 1 with a radio and a pistol (communication) 1-2 with SKS rifles (marksmans), 1-2 with machineguns (support) and a sniper and a spotter to provide support (taking out machine gunners, snipers, etc.) and giving informations to the com. trooper (enemy positions, numbers, armament, etc.).

We deploy machine gunners behind the soldiers and they fire to suppress the enemy, while soldiers spread out to flank them. Marksmans get behind cover and fire to suppress while the machine gunners reload. The radio guy is sitting behind cover with the squad commander giving him info that sniper provides. I (sniper) provide the informations to the squad commander and pick the enemies off one by one, starting with the snipers.

Americans send 4-8 soldiers with M4/M16s, 1 with a radio, a machine gunner (sometimes 2) and a sniper (sometimes 2).

Their soldiers have much better training, I'll give them that, but the tactics seem a bit odd. They immediately spread out and start firing on the enemy while trying to flank them, and there's one or two left to suppress the enemy. Snipers call the informations to the base, and then it's sent to the squad from the base (also, if there are two snipers, they ask the other one to confirm what the first one said, which is just wasting time and lives). They use the frontline tactics in urban surroundings which is odd, but it's working.

@antonkr It depends, a machine gunner is invaluabe in the open, he provides covering fire so the squad can move forward or retreat, depending on a situation. But he is nearly useless in a building and in tight spaces because he is overloaded on equipment and moves relatively slow. I covered several American squads, and their tactics seem to be a bit weird.

<snip>

They use the frontline tactics in urban surroundings which is odd, but it's working.

Weird is correct unless you take into consideration the concept of "assaulting through" the situation.

Having said this, I shall stop spamming this topic (since it is about "Do you own any firearms" and not about weapons you have used/tactics/etc.) lol

Now, for my part, I do not own any weapons. I "react" at times to certain sounds/movement and feel that it would be best if I did not have any near me at home. (But I am planning on picking up a decent Beretta and leaving it at the gun club I would join.) lol