Bethesda.net Boycott

Loveblanket

Mod version 1. Find a way to make your mod unusable on non-PC platforms and embed it (deeper the better) in your mods that you post on nexus. ( Maybe a game killing exploit could be used so that people who download the stolen copy from bethesda.net for a console wont even be able to start a game with it installed.)

Putting in a "ownership" message is permissible, but damaging saves or game play or crashing is beyond the pale and could cause your mods to be considered malware. I would rather the thieves be considered a criminal than become one to stop them.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mod version 1. Find a way to make your mod unusable on non-PC platforms and embed it (deeper the better) in your mods that you post on nexus. ( Maybe a game killing exploit could be used so that people who download the stolen copy from bethesda.net for a console wont even be able to start a game with it installed.)

Putting in a "ownership" message is permissible, but damaging saves or game play or crashing is beyond the pale and could cause your mods to be considered malware. I would rather the thieves be considered a criminal than become one to stop them.

I used to mod during the Oblivion days and did some Warcraft modding also but quit because I just couldn't handle the massive waves of hostility from strangers who I had just worked many hours to give them something for free. =) Sound familiar?

I really wasn't suggesting to do anything that would damage console games, only provide a measure of control for the mod creator as to when and where their mods would be released.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone do anything criminal either and really don't see blocking unauthorized use as criminal act.

The news of the bethesda.net policy changes coming up sound very encouraging though and I hope it is a step in the right direction.

I used to mod during the Oblivion days and did some Warcraft modding also but quit because I just couldn't handle the massive waves of hostility from strangers who I had just worked many hours to give them something for free. =) Sound familiar?

I really wasn't suggesting to do anything that would damage console games, only provide a measure of control for the mod creator as to when and where their mods would be released.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone do anything criminal either and really don't see blocking unauthorized use as criminal act.

The news of the bethesda.net policy changes coming up sound very encouraging though and I hope it is a step in the right direction.

Maybe it is just me, but the phrase "Maybe a game killing exploit could be used" and the phrase "I wasn't suggesting to do anything that would damage console games" seem contradictory. Does "game killing" have a meaning I am unfamiliar with? Is there a "game killing exploit" that doesn't "damage console games"?

I'm a noob. Help me understand this contradiction.

Sorry, I see what your saying. I'm a UNIX sys admin by trade and the idea of killing something really means terminating a process. So yes, I was suggesting something that would either not allow the game to start or would crash the game if a unauthorized mod is used.

On the PC side of things if you load a mod and then your game wont start. You remove the mod and go back to playing. Does it not work that way on consoles? I really don't know. If there is a way to actually damage the console then I apologize and thats not what I meant at all. I thought the worst case scenario on a console is you have to reboot it but no permanent damage takes place.

Sorry, I see what your saying. I'm a UNIX sys admin by trade and the idea of killing something really means terminating a process. So yes, I was suggesting something that would either not allow the game to start or would crash the game if a unauthorized mod is used.

On the PC side of things if you load a mod and then your game wont start. You remove the mod and go back to playing. Does it not work that way on consoles? I really don't know. If there is a way to actually damage the console then I apologize and thats not what I meant at all. I thought the worst case scenario on a console is you have to reboot it but no permanent damage takes place.

I spent 45+ years as a Mainframe System Programmer. In that world, we cancel tasks. The only "killing" we did was when we did something really stupid and killed squirrel which kept the machine running.

Back to the issue at hand.

First, consider you audience. Console players are reading this. They see the phrase "game killing" and they see the game dead forever. I would find some terminology that is less industry specific and more "user friendly" (I hate that phrase, but it is appropriate).

Second, tell the user what is happening and why. Give them a message which identifies the Mod and the original author before stopping play. But to just stop the game and not tell them why is counter productive. Especially if the user just put on more than one or two mods. Is it one mod? Is it a combination of mods? Is it the order the mods are in? And even one mod can prompt these questions. Is it the new MOD. Is it the load order. Is this mod incompatible with another mod? It isn't always as simple as "just take off the last mod and start again". I say, tell them why.

ED: I read this and had to smile at myself. I still think in terms of users and clients. I am stuck in a rut. Somebody throw me a half stick so I can blast my self out.

I can understand wanting to make sure Mods aren't being stolen and what-not, as a Comic artist myself i completely understand the desire to protect one's intellectual creativity and what it produces; but I'm not so sure Boycotting is the way to go about that sort of thing.

I understand the why, but i don't agree with the unnecessary actions. :)

I spent 45+ years as a Mainframe System Programmer. In that world, we cancel tasks. The only "killing" we did was when we did something really stupid and killed squirrel which kept the machine running.

Back to the issue at hand.

First, consider you audience. Console players are reading this. They see the phrase "game killing" and they see the game dead forever. I would find some terminology that is less industry specific and more "user friendly" (I hate that phrase, but it is appropriate).

Second, tell the user what is happening and why. Give them a message which identifies the Mod and the original author before stopping play. But to just stop the game and not tell them why is counter productive. Especially if the user just put on more than one or two mods. Is it one mod? Is it a combination of mods? Is it the order the mods are in? And even one mod can prompt these questions. Is it the new MOD. Is it the load order. Is this mod incompatible with another mod? It isn't always as simple as "just take off the last mod and start again". I say, tell them why.

ED: I read this and had to smile at myself. I still think in terms of users and clients. I am stuck in a rut. Somebody throw me a half stick so I can blast my self out.

Fair enough on all points. I was just throwing a idea out there. One that I wouldn't bother standing behind because I have no skin in the game.

I would be glad if the discussion proved to be useful for others though.

Good luck to all involved.