Opinions on a Skyrim Remaster?

LordNyron

Rumors just came out about E3, but lets put those aside for a second. I want to know all of your genuine thoughts on a Skyrim Remaster. Would you get it? If not, is there anything that could convince you to get it? How do you think the mod support would be for it considering most of the big modders have moved on to Fallout 4?

Personally I hope the graphics upgrade is a big leap forward. Would mean I'd need less mods to make it look pretty and I wouldn't keep hitting the VRAM and mod caps. That's all they'd need to do for me to consider buying it. I just can't get into Fallout 4 like I did Skyrim and Oblivion before it.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if it was built in a new, more stable engine i would probably get it. i just started using the creation kit and it crashes every few minutes, even though i have a mod that is supposed to fix that. its really difficult to get any progress done.

about graphics, you should check out Skyrim Reloaded, its still kind of buggy but it looks promising.

Try Fallout 3 remaster instead. Beth has NOT announced a Skyrim remaster, and the leaks did NOT say which game was getting this treatment. The Skyrim rumour is pure invention from the sites reporting the rumour, NOT from the source of the rumour itself.

Meanwhile Fallout 3 (not Skyrim) is considered too ancient to be effectively sold today, and Fallout 3 (not Skyrim) sits perfectly on the SAME assets and codebase used for Fallout 4. The remaster of Fallout 3 was also reported ages ago.

Try Fallout 3 remaster instead. Beth has NOT announced a Skyrim remaster, and the leaks did NOT say which game was getting this treatment. The Skyrim rumour is pure invention from the sites reporting the rumour, NOT from the source of the rumour itself.

Meanwhile Fallout 3 (not Skyrim) is considered too ancient to be effectively sold today, and Fallout 3 (not Skyrim) sits perfectly on the SAME assets and codebase used for Fallout 4. The remaster of Fallout 3 was also reported ages ago.

Except we know for a fact that a Skyrim Remastered already exists in Bethesda's stable. They used it to learn the new hardware. All they would need to do is bring it up to Fallout 4 standards, go a bit beyond that, give it a good spit shine, and it'd be good to go.

I really hope that the Skyrim remaster is a thing. Depending on how they were to do it, if they do it, it could be absolutely amazing. Just imagine modding for it, especially if they introduce a Fallout 4-esque mod system across platforms.

And to all you people claiming they wouldn't bring it to pc, think for a moment.

1. They would be excluding a third of their audience, thus a third of their profit.
  2. If they introduce modding across platforms, they have to have a pc version because that is where the bloody creation kit program needs to be hosted.
  3. They wouldn't want to botch their reputation by essentially shunning the very community that has kept Skyrim alive for years. That would be incredibly daft.

If its anything at all it'll almost certainly the official HD content PC users enjoy but this time for consoles. There won't be any other "remaster" than that I'll bet my life on it. And mods.

Except we know for a fact that a Skyrim Remastered already exists in Bethesda's stable. They used it to learn the new hardware. All they would need to do is bring it up to Fallout 4 standards, go a bit beyond that, give it a good spit shine, and it'd be good to go.

They ported it to the Xbone, as in recompiled the code. Thats far from being a remaster. And you're underestimating the amount of work a "spit shine" as you put it, would take.

At this point in time its not worth the time and money a remaster would cost. Mods on the other hand is a quick and cheap way to squeeze a few extra bucks out of an already mature market, dress it up with some HD textures as a sweetener and use E3 as a shop window.

This is most broken game of theirs to this date, so remastering Skyrim is more probable then FO3 or FNV IMO. Porting game on decent x64 engine and improving visuals would be nice, but I think most ppl had enough of Skyrim already. Also I'm not sure how modding community would take this, best mods might not be ported and etc. It's definitely good cashgrab for consoloes, but I don't think PC community really needs this remaster. We have memory patch, ENBoost, USLEEP and other means to fix this mess, plus tons of high res textures for basically everything along with gorgeous ENBs. And knowing Beth, there's VERY low chance this remaster won't be even more broken than vanilla Skyrim, so... no thanks, I'd rather stick with my Legendary and good old working mods.

With a more stable engine I would definitely get it. Having Skyrim 64 bit would be amazing since the memory allocation would be far better than what Skyrim can do with 32 bit limitations. My only worry is if the remaster is true it sounds like its only for Xbox One/PS4. It would be really odd that Skyrim finally becomes 64 bit (something I always wanted) only to be sold on consoles and not pc where modders and pc Skyrim users could really get great use out of it. I like console gaming but have always preferred games like Skyrim on pc becasue I can really go all out with mods and not have to worry about hardware limitations (at least as much of a limit console hardware has).

I get all their stuff & I agree with Blindingsun.

Skyrim was very stable before the DLCs. I never got a CTD before they came out. I only had the large address aware issue. I played Fallout 4 for 1100 hours with 3 CTDs. All caused by Body Slide. Now that some DLCs are out so are the CTDs. Deja vu.

But that doesn't matter. I just want them to make more stuff so I can buy more stuff.

I do agree with Signette about the state of Skyrim. My Skyrim looks & plays better & better. At the beginning of the year Fallout 4 was the best looking game on my computer. I played all 1100 hours at 4k. Now I am back with Skyrim & the mods & hardware I have added allows Skyrim to surpass it.

Later