Dungeon Defenders

Dark0ne

A friend of mine introduced me to Dungeon Defenders the other day. It's £10 and it's currently one of the most played games on Steam, and I can see why.

Dungeon Defenders is a cross between Diablo style Action RPG combat, levelling and looting and the Tower Defence elements made popular by Warcraft 3 mods/maps and the numerous knock-offs and spin-offs that have resulted from it.

As someone who spent hundreds of hours playing DotA, tower defence maps and RPG maps in Warcraft 3 with friends and online, and also spent hundreds of hours playing Diablo, it really appeals to me. And at £10 it was worth a try, and very much worth it :)

You can play solo, co-op with up to 4 friends (with modding supporting if wanted) or online in a ranked (and official) system without mods. So if you're a solo player you can still enjoy it all.

Is anyone else playing it? The SDK isn't out yet but I'd say it's a pretty strong candidate for being the next Nexus site...

To be honest I've never heard of it before, but $10 sure is cheap for a highly popular RPG game.

I must say that naming a new game "Dungeon Defenders" sure is a daring move though. Especially considering all the flashy game titles you see nowadays.

Almost like naming a brand new sci-fi space sim "Space Invaders".

Edited by BlackRampage

Well, 10 Pounds Sterling is more like $20 USD (give or take a few shekels), if my recollection of the current exchange rate isn't too fuzzy. Nevertheless, it sounds like a very fun game at VERY reasonable price. :)

Those with dial-up connections (like myself) or other connection-related issues might like to know about a similar game called Torchlight - a Diablo-esque game courtesy of two former Blizzard designers. The game is single player -OR- co-op multi-player via LAN, is Steam / DRM free, and currently goes for less than $20 on Amazon.com. The game has done so well, that the creation of a sequel began almost immediately after release and, I believe, is due out the first week of November.

Either way, it's nice to know you don't HAVE to spend a ton of money to find good games that are well worth your time to play 'em. :)

Edited by NexusRanger