Skyrim REALLY looks like BEOWULF right?

Diso

I dont know about a poem, all I know it was quite a good movie and it WAS about dragons. Because the treasure in the movie ought to be from the dragons throat or something like that.

But back to the main subject, there is quite a resemblance right? I mean even the music sounds alike..

1. It wasn't a good movie, anyone serious about folklore wouldn't even use the DVD as a coaster.

2. It WAS NOT about dragons, it featured a single dragon who was spawned in the last 20minutes after Beowulf got down and dirty with Grendel's mother, the offspring of this formed a creature who could TRANSFORM into a dragon.

3. Treasure? Wut!? He rips out the 'Dragon's' heart from it's throat. C'mon I hated the movie and I can still remember what happened.

Skyrim's artistic direction flows closely alongside that of the Norse/Viking/Olde English theme, so yes the music and style of buildings is going to be alike, the themes of that age are massively popular, they celebrate a time of brutal combat and superstition - something Skyrim is delivering in bucket loads. I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread was the connection between the two medias was obvious, however I can 100% guarantee Beth aren't copying Beowulf if that's what you're getting at.

I'll depart from this convo now as I'm not sure this back and forth is beneficial. HF GL

Edited by Seawad

Yes, Beowulf takes place during the same time as Skyrim. Approximately.

What? I cannot wrap my head around, what you just said :psyduck: :psyduck:

Yes, Skyrim was inspired during the same period as Beowulf took place. I'm sure you understood what I said.

And @ Seawad. "I believe dragons were known to exist during this period, but most likely a thrilling tale villagers spread in the towns."

I believe in many mythical beings, but I referred to them as mere tales of the past.

Edited by hejpadig

I dont know about a poem, all I know it was quite a good movie and it WAS about dragons. Because the treasure in the movie ought to be from the dragons throat or something like that.

But back to the main subject, there is quite a resemblance right? I mean even the music sounds alike..

1. It wasn't a good movie, anyone serious about folklore wouldn't even use the DVD as a coaster.

2. It WAS NOT about dragons, it featured a single dragon who was spawned in the last 20minutes after Beowulf got down and dirty with Grendel's mother, the offspring of this formed a creature who could TRANSFORM into a dragon.

3. Treasure? Wut!? He rips out the 'Dragon's' heart from it's throat. C'mon I hated the movie and I can still remember what happened.

Skyrim's artistic direction flows closely alongside that of the Norse/Viking/Olde English theme, so yes the music and style of buildings is going to be alike, the themes of that age are massively popular, they celebrate a time of brutal combat and superstition - something Skyrim is delivering in bucket loads. I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread was the connection between the two medias was obvious, however I can 100% guarantee Beth aren't copying Beowulf if that's what you're getting at.

I'll depart from this convo now as I'm not sure this back and forth is beneficial. HF GL

This is the only guy thats got it right, the movie was nothing like the actual poem, i just finished reading it in english class. Theres so many differances between the two, and beowulf never cuts off his arm, or anything like that, he gets burned from the dragon and one of his loyal warriors, wiglaf, kills the dragon. not beowulf. The dragon was put in at the end of the story and was not that big of a part except for killing beowulf. The whole story was centered around beowulf killing Grendel, and grendel's mother.

What are these "poem" things? Are they some antiquated form of media like cassette tapes?http://www.thenexusforums.com/public/style_emoticons/dark/teehee.gif

In all seriousness, I have no doubt that SKYRIM will display evidence of many classical and mythological influences, particularly Celtic and Nordic. The race is called "Nords", after all.

Ah, education these days is even more appalling than it used to be. Beowulf is one of the most important literary documents in the entire history of western civilization. It is one of the oldest documents on record and easily the most important piece of Anglo-Saxon/Nordic literature, dating back as far as the 700s A.D. It is 3000+ lines long and is a marvel of a poem, even without the age and history that it can claim. The movies that it inspired are entertaining in and of themselves, but bear a less than stellar resemblance to the poem itself. The older version is a little more accurate than the newer CGI one, although I enjoyed watching them both. .....it helps to just pretend that the lead character is named "Hero X" rather than "Beowulf" - at least it does if you have read the original work. ;)

Excuse me, is your name google? I dont think so right, so stop acting like you know everything.

Back to the thread, I was just saying that Bethesda might be inspired by Beowulf. Actually I'm pretty sure they DID get inspired.

That explains the resemblance and I agree to what Hejpadig is saying. Both are in the same era.

That was what I was getting to, Bethesda got inspired by Beowulf.

Although some people state the movie is bad, remember those are justs opinions ofcourse. I thought Beowulf was a very nice movie.

Edited by Diso

Guys guys guys guys....

Stop.

Everyone knows that Bethesda uses every bit of fantasy ever to make their own private little world we all enjoy.

But if you want a direct text to game translation...

Thirsk Meadhall.... Uderfrykte and the Uderfrykted Matron. They're direct rips from Beowulf. The meadhall is in the poem and the Uderfrykte and his mom are just translations of Grendel and his mom.

There, happy?

Edited by jamochawoke

Guys guys guys guys....

Stop.

Everyone knows that Bethesda uses every bit of fantasy ever to make their own private little world we all enjoy.

But if you want a direct text to game translation...

Thirsk Meadhall.... Uderfrykte and the Uderfrykted Matron. They're direct rips from Beowulf. The meadhall is in the poem and the Uderfrykte and his mom are just translations of Grendel and his mom.

There, happy?

Lol I'm not happy, doesnt really matter if its ripped or not. Just saw the resemblance and wanted to share it :].