steam and skyrim

NetDigger

I dont understand the lack of faith/hatred toward Steam that so many people are expressing. Ive been using steam for 9 years, Ive NEVER had any issues with it. I think it is a wonderful, easy service. They shower us with amazing deals and game packages, and offer a lot of flexibility.

Many people don't have home internet connection (including myself) and Steam is known to have occassional connection problems. Just google "Steam won't update". Also many resent paying for a game disc only to have a program try to download the game and be treated as criminals. Any software can and will be pirated, DRM only serves to punish those who legitimately purchase the game.

The only game that I have used steam with is New Vegas. And right after I install steam from the disc, it starts to DL New Vegas. Even though New Vegas was already on the disk. I was told by a person here that that can be avoided due to there being a bug in the installer. You can bypass the DL somehow and have the game install directly from the disk just like any other game. So, hopefully, this will be fixed for Skyrim because I connect to the net by tethering my iPhone to my PC and that only allows 4 gigs of data a month. So I can not afford to download a game. To me, that is what some publishers fail to understand when they put their games through certain DRM's that require a DL or do something stupid like New Vegas when some people don't have good internet connections.

Rant ended.

-Elsarian

I dont understand the lack of faith/hatred toward Steam that so many people are expressing. Ive been using steam for 9 years, Ive NEVER had any issues with it. I think it is a wonderful, easy service. They shower us with amazing deals and game packages, and offer a lot of flexibility.

Many people don't have home internet connection (including myself) and Steam is known to have occassional connection problems. Just google "Steam won't update". Also many resent paying for a game disc only to have a program try to download the game and be treated as criminals. Any software can and will be pirated, DRM only serves to punish those who legitimately purchase the game.

^^^ This is so true. I can't count how many times I've seen the argument "But everyone has internet and if you don't get over it!" No, not everyone has a reliable internet connection at all times. I shouldn't have rediculous limitations on a product I paid for just because a small number of people don't want to pay for it. :wallbash:

Edited by fisban0

The only game that I have used steam with is New Vegas. And right after I install steam from the disc, it starts to DL New Vegas. Even though New Vegas was already on the disk. I was told by a person here that that can be avoided due to there being a bug in the installer. You can bypass the DL somehow and have the game install directly from the disk just like any other game. So, hopefully, this will be fixed for Skyrim because I connect to the net by tethering my iPhone to my PC and that only allows 4 gigs of data a month. So I can not afford to download a game. To me, that is what some publishers fail to understand when they put their games through certain DRM's that require a DL or do something stupid like New Vegas when some people don't have good internet connections.

This will help you out :)

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/452910-installing-skyrim-from-the-dvd/

I think the millions of hamsters in Steam's series of tubes can handle it. This isn't Steam's first rodeo.

^^^ This is so true. I can't count how many times I've seen the argument "But everyone has internet and if you don't get over it!" No, not everyone has a reliable internet connection at all times. I shouldn't have rediculous limitations on a product I paid for just because a small number of people don't want to pay for it. :wallbash:

You don't need a constant internet connection to play games on Steam, just to download games, which has already been shown is unnecessary for games like New Vegas if you read the tutorials. After it's installed you can completely bypass Steam to run the game or open Steam in offline mode.

I personally use Steam almost exclusively to get all my PC games because of the frequent and significant discounts they provide.

The problem is that some people think it's natural for a computer to have internet connection and some others think it's impossible (for them at least) to get a stable internet connection. I understand the problems people have with steam and the internet connection it requires. And as far as not installing from disc it happened to me too (I think with CoD Black Ops). As soon as I activated it's serial key steam automatically started downloading it. I just stopped it and found a way to install from disc. I don't remember how I did it but it wasn't steam's fault. I just didn't do it right. I'm sure it's happened to lots of people and that's why they're complaining.