Pathetic is the best way to describe F4 DLC

nightinglae850

Uh, Fallout 3's DLC are the prime example of linearity and mediocrity. They take like three hours, have almost no real exploration, the weapons were either weak or completely broken, Broken Steel broke the level list at high levels and caused high-leveled enemies to spawn outside of towns and the writing was so awful. Point Lookout is the only one with a real sense of exploration and it didn't do a good job at that.

Operation Anchorage was literally "Hey, here is this easy linear worldspace to go through and once you're done you can have items that completely make the game easy mode and broken."

Edited by CiderMuffin

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a general problem with Bethesda games, and it has been present since I first touched one of their games. Which was Morrowind. It's their stroytelling. In their main games as well as all their DLCs.

What you get when buying a Beth game, is mainly a sandbox to explore at your leisure. That's what I was telling people being all butthurt over how FO4 turned out to be. I got what I bargained for, not more, not less. I didn't expect it to be top of the pops as far as immersion or story goes. I expected it to present me with a world to explore, a load of bugs, and last but certainly not least, a modding community to make things more interesting and to fix some of the stability or annoynce issues.

But then again, I didn't listen to the hype and the PR statements coming from Bethesda. Any hype and any PR statements are horse manure under the best of circumstances.

Uh, Fallout 3's DLC are the prime example of linearity and mediocrity. They take like three hours, have almost no real exploration, the weapons were either weak or completely broken, Broken Steel broke the level list at high levels and caused high-leveled enemies to spawn outside of towns and the writing was so awful. Point Lookout is the only one with a real sense of exploration and it didn't do a good job at that.

Operation Anchorage was literally "Hey, here is this easy linear worldspace to go through and once you're done you can have items that completely make the game easy mode and broken."

i know that. I mean just the maps to explore. We know everyone Fallout New Vegas is the masterpiece, at the least is more "open world" the dlc from FNV than the FO3's DLC.

But hey, Beth is out of ideas and role play game identity. They spent to much time play games like GTA or Minecraft and loosing the point of what means making a RPG. It's obvious The Witcher (and i'm not the only one who said this) won this round in all the fronts.

I really wish to see just 3 more dlcs, but this time where the "workshops" are merged with a new map to explore and with new quest to do. Only this.

While what they did was nice I would much rather they had stuck to creating story, quests and new world spaces.

Workshop stuff can be done by modders

Nyet comrade.

Modders can't do everything like Beth does, and modders can't do that with the same level of quality or quantity. I am modder. And I say Beth's DLCs are awesome. Especially the non-quest parts of it. What creates replayability are the additions to the workshops and sandbox gameplay.I will never play through Far Harbor or Automatron again, but I will use the sandbox content of it.

And some modder hacking in some interior workshop with placable vault pieces is nowhere near fully realized beth created DLC.

There's a general problem with Bethesda games, and it has been present since I first touched one of their games. Which was Morrowind. It's their stroytelling. In their main games as well as all their DLCs.

What you get when buying a Beth game, is mainly a sandbox to explore at your leisure. That's what I was telling people being all butthurt over how FO4 turned out to be. I got what I bargained for, not more, not less. I didn't expect it to be top of the pops as far as immersion or story goes. I expected it to present me with a world to explore, a load of bugs, and last but certainly not least, a modding community to make things more interesting and to fix some of the stability or annoynce issues.

But then again, I didn't listen to the hype and the PR statements coming from Bethesda. Any hype and any PR statements are horse manure under the best of circumstances.

I have said elsewhere that it should always be STORY first and everything else second. A Role Playing Game must have a good story to give heft and believe-ability to the Role I will be Playing. Without a good story, FO games are reduced to being just another FPS with ghouls and radiation.

Edited by RattleAndGrind

I have said elsewhere that it should always be STORY first and everything else second. A Role Playing Game must have a good story to give heft and believe-ability to the Role I will be Playing. Without a good story, FO games are reduced to being just another FPS with ghouls and radiation.

But point still stands. If I go looking for story, I look at Obsidian or Bioware. With Bethesda I don't expect to be drawn in by the story. That's what I don't get with certain people. Bethesda games have always been the same. A little bit of polish here and there, but nothing in terms of immersion or story has really changed since 2002.

So, again. I got what I bargained for. And I'm amazed at anyone expecting more after 14 years of more of the same.

But point still stands. If I go looking for story, I look at Obsidian or Bioware. With Bethesda I don't expect to be drawn in by the story. That's what I don't get with certain people. Bethesda games have always been the same. A little bit of polish here and there, but nothing in terms of immersion or story has really changed since 2002.

So, again. I got what I bargained for. And I'm amazed at anyone expecting more after 14 years of more of the same.

Except Skyrim is a Bethesda title, as is Oblivion, and they have a ton of story content, good bad or otherwise. FO4 is lacking severely in this department.

Except Skyrim is a Bethesda title, as is Oblivion, and they have a ton of story content, good bad or otherwise. FO4 is lacking severely in this department.

Skyrim. Get told to clear out a dungeon...........repeat until you kill Alduin.

F04. Get told to clear out a building.........Repeat until you either nuke the institute or destroy an Zeppelin.