Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Thank you for posting this. I helps a lot.

I think I have found my problem. I'm almost certain my system is overheating. I clocked it at 96 degrees during gameplay, and 70 degrees when the game is off. I got a cooling mat for my laptop, and the problem is gone.

I'm glad you were able to solve your problem, more people happy is always a good thing, but while you may have triggered the problem by overheating, a lot of people are reporting the crash at low, mid, high, very high temps.

Right now out of my 3 computers, my 3 year old laptop is the only one able to run the game without crashing, and it plays it around 80 °C, not exactly cold, considering the Tj.Max is 90°C (if you claim you were playing at

96°C it makes sense you're crashing)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This got my attention. That has been happening to me to. My screen goes black and then it does come back and I get a message that my nvidia driver successfully recovered. But I'm not sure it is just the game, this has happened a few other times when I am working.

Asus Crossfire IV Formula motherboard

Phenom II T1055 six core AMD

Vengeance DDR3 1600 RAM / 16 Gig

Zotac GeForce GTX 560 TI

Creative Labs Supreme FX XFI audio

Win 7 64 Ulitmate

Maybe I'd better look into this further. :unsure: Good question.

The 'nvidia driver recovered' message was something I was getting, but I think I've fixed it.

Specs:

OS - Win 7 64 bit

CPU - Intel Core i5 2400 3.10GHz

VGA - Gigabyte GTX560Ti (GV-N560OC-1GI)

MBOARD - Gigabyte GA-Z68M-D2H motherboard

RAM - 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR3-1600CL9 RAM (2x4GB)

I had this PC built for me about 2 months ago, and had a few old games like Crysis, Far Cry which had the error occuring on. I didn't have time to troubleshoot my old games, but only this last week have I been trying to play Skyrim on it. I was getting the driver error, and tried a few things to remedy the issue. I tried the various published tweaks, none of the ones I tried worked:

- Lengthening the TDR timeout in the registry

- Turning off TDR. (Turning it off just meant that the PC locked up hard instead of the app crashing to desktop)

- Changing the Phys X rendering in the NVIDIA control panel from Auto to specifying the GPU by name

- Changing the slider position for 3D settings in the NVIDIA control panel midway between quality & performance

- Uninstalled the 285.xx drivers, and went to 275.xx. (That helped a bit, the errors weren't quite as frequent, but they still happened a lot.)

- changed the global setting in the NVIDA control panel for the power management, from auto to 'performance' (sorry, not in front of the PC at the moment so I don't recall the exact name of the value changed)

I then downloaded the Gigabyte overclocking utility for the board, "Easy Boost" (http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3707#utility). I used the utility to drop the Core, Shader & Memory clocks by about 10% each. Skyrim has been fine for the last 8 or so hours of play.

It peeves me that I have to underclock the card to get it working correctly, but at least it's working.

Hopefully this helps other Gigabyte NVIDIA card users who are having this issue.

EDIT TO ADD: Sorry if this has been mentioned before, I haven't read all of the 40+ pages of this thread yet !

Chris

Thanks for the info. I think part of my problem was my video card starting to go thermal on me. I didn't realize that the GPU fan was spinning up to full speed until I realized what I was hearing, and I have since cranked up the fans and took care of that issue. Like you, I may have to 'de-tune' my system a bit, can you believe that...what next?

HD6850 on load uses about 200-300w while Phenom X4 uses about 170-190w on load. I have a Diablotek 500w PSU.

You clearly don't have a clue about PC hardware. 200-300W is the total system power consumption on load when you have HD6850 (and ~100W idle depending on CPU and other components).

Edited by Pumper

Just registered to say I have the same problem too. Screen turns black and have to do a hard reboot. I actually have the same problem with BF3. I can only play BF3 in window mode. If I try to play in full screen the monitor will turn black and will have to hard reboot after 5-10 minutes. I called EA about the problem and the tech guy said they didn't use my model video card as a tester and recommended I buy a new video card LOL. BF3 forums has a 20+ pages full of people with the same problem we are having with Skyrim. What sucks is I cant even play skyrim in window mode without it causing me to hard reboot. I can play MW3 with no problem.....

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x6 3.2Ghz

HIS Radeon HD 6870

4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333

Asus mobo

Creative Audigy 2 sound card.

Edit: Here is a link to BF3 forums where people are having the same problem. I kinda find it interesting. Is there anything in common these 2 games have with each other?

Edited by zatro

Just registered to say I have the same problem too. Screen turns black and have to do a hard reboot. I actually have the same problem with BF3. I can only play BF3 in window mode. If I try to play in full screen the monitor will turn black and will have to hard reboot after 5-10 minutes. I called EA about the problem and the tech guy said they didn't use my model video card as a tester and recommended I buy a new video card LOL. BF3 forums has a 20+ pages full of people with the same problem we are having with Skyrim. What sucks is I cant even play skyrim in window mode without it causing me to hard reboot. I can play MW3 with no problem.....

Specs:

AMD Phenom II x6 3.2Ghz

HIS Radeon HD 6870

4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1333

Asus mobo

Creative Audigy 2 sound card.

Edit: Here is a link to BF3 forums where people are having the same problem. I kinda find it interesting. Is there anything in common these 2 games have with each other?

Aside from having been released in 2011, there is little in common.

hey zatro i have the same craphics card His HD 6870 but my BF3 works fine. In the BF3 beta i had the same problem, but then i just called the shop were i buyed the craphics card and they had sent me an new card. From then i hadn´t any blackscreens in BF3

in skyrim now i dont have any blackscreens i think the 4gb fix worked for me, but 1hour ago i had a crash to desktop . no warning.... hmmm i hope they will patch this game soon

You clearly don't have a clue about PC hardware. 200-300W is the total system power consumption on load when you have HD6850 (and ~100W idle depending on CPU and other components).

Min requirements on that card are a 500w PSU. If total system power consumption on load was only 300w, why require a 500w PSU or even make any PSU above about 600w? To make sure you have enough power when you need it. Besides most tests are using the bare minimum rigs anyway, which I don't know anyone that uses the most basic they can get.Yes I could have saved money and went with a lesser PSU when I bought the new one, but it was highly recommended by a friend of mine that builds computers for a living.

So I'm going with my friend on this one rather than someone I don't know on the internet. Plus I'm slowly upgrading my system, which will require more power anyway when I have a couple of vidcards in Crossfire/SLI.

If I'm coming off as a pompous ass, I'm sorry, but I'm not meaning to be. I'm simply trying to point out that getting the minimum didn't work out for me.

Edited by JaceTiger

although you are right Pumper, try and say it in a nice, constructive way (to avoid the flames).

yes masta

Min requirements on that card are a 500w PSU. If total system power consumption on load was only 300w, why require a 500w PSU or even make any PSU above about 600w?

500W is recommended as minimum not because the GPU needs that much power - it is because there are a lot of different PSUs (some 90% and some 60% efficiency) and there can be a lot of different other components in the PC that might need a lot of power.

If your PSU would be a 500W cheap one with 60% efficiency, that would mean, that your PC would only be able to draw 500*0.6=300W - that is why it is recommended to have a 500W PSU for HD6850 - the GPU manufacturer just wants to play it safe to avoid angry customers with crap 300W PSUs uable to power the card.

And you need more that 600W PSU if you want to have a powerful overclocked CPU (i.e. Phenom X6 consumes 2x more power than OCed to >4GHz vs stock ~3GHz) with two or more powerful GPUs in SLI or CF (i.e. single GTX570 uses ~210W on load, SLI ~410W and 3-way SLI GTX580 ~740W).

So if you would have X6 at 4GHz with SLI GTX570, you would need at least (250W CPU + 410W GPU + 50W system = 710W) 900W PSU with 80+ efficiency.

Edited by Pumper