Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

Same problem here, I also haven't seen an absolute solution from all the tips posted here.

Thing is, even though it doesn't add something new to discuss about, I feel like I had to sign in just to express the following:

A lot of people, specially in the Bethesda forums are claiming it's an overheating issue, and it pisses me off, because it's clearly not.

Tried on 3 different computers, 2 of them are low-end, one of them high-end, the crash happens on one of the low-end ones and the high-end one.

Funny thing is the computer it works on perfectly, it's the most inferior of all 3, it gets the highest temperatures, it stresses CPU and GPU the most.

Both reaching 80 °C and 75 °C, while the other 2 barely reach 55- to 60-ish.

Also gotta mention that other games give me even higher temperatures (F***, even certain Wii games on Dolphin emulator manage that)

and I can play them for hours, while Skyrim video shut-down crashes happen every 10-45 mins, average. (yes don't worry, I know the difference between

the CTD and the hard crash, unlike some people...)

Friends having completely different computer parts are getting the same problem, some others don't, so what can I do but think it's game-related? It's

so obvious. A lot of people in this topic are putting their computer-parts to risk by changing stuff around, while it has nothing to do with hardware.

As much as it pains some people, I encourage to keep waiting, instead of trying to potentially damaging your computer for the sake of 1 game.

Best of luck with this, everyone, hope we get a fix soon.

(CPU and GPU of the computer that works ok:

Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1ghz

ATI Mobility HD Radeon 4650 1gb

4gb ram)

Also, 4GB fix was applied to all 3 of them.

Edited by elopjd

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes it's cleary a game issue.

But not the only game, since me and few other here reported having same very issue with Saint's Raw 3 (someone mentioned MW3 also).

It's strange how Skyrim crashes on me, while Saint's Row 3 doesn't, even though it is lagging a little

I think I found a fix. It works for me anyways.

1.) Validate your files in Steam. (just to be sure)

2.) Exit completely out of Steam

3.) Open Windows Explorer, go to (your steam folder)\steamapps\common\skyrim

4.) Launch the game by opening TESV.exe

I just played for 45 minutes, no crash whatsoever. I used to get the black screen of death after 5 minutes, like the dude who was nice enough to post the youtube video. I'm running a Radeon HD 6950, Windows 7 64-bit, with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor (3.4ghz)

Try it out, and post here if it works for you.

Edited by kombatmedik

Same problem here, I also haven't seen an absolute solution from all the tips posted here.

Thing is, even though it doesn't add something new to discuss about, I feel like I had to sign in just to express the following:

A lot of people, specially in the Bethesda forums are claiming it's an overheating issue, and it pisses me off, because it's clearly not.

Tried on 3 different computers, 2 of them are low-end, one of them high-end, the crash happens on one of the low-end ones and the high-end one.

Funny thing is the computer it works on perfectly, it's the most inferior of all 3, it gets the highest temperatures, it stresses CPU and GPU the most.

Both reaching 80 °C and 75 °C, while the other 2 barely reach 55- to 60-ish.

Also gotta mention that other games give me even higher temperatures (F***, even certain Wii games on Dolphin emulator manage that)

and I can play them for hours, while Skyrim video shut-down crashes happen every 10-45 mins, average. (yes don't worry, I know the difference between

the CTD and the hard crash, unlike some people...)

Friends having completely different computer parts are getting the same problem, some others don't, so what can I do but think it's game-related? It's

so obvious. A lot of people in this topic are putting their computer-parts to risk by changing stuff around, while it has nothing to do with hardware.

As much as it pains some people, I encourage to keep waiting, instead of trying to potentially damaging your computer for the sake of 1 game.

Best of luck with this, everyone, hope we get a fix soon.

(CPU and GPU of the computer that works ok:

Intel Core 2 Duo T6500 2.1ghz

ATI Mobility HD Radeon 4650 1gb

4gb ram)

Also, 4GB fix was applied to all 3 of them.

I'm testing on an old computer built from my old parts, before my upgrade a few years ago. That computer can get damaged all it wants until either I find a fix, Bethesda fixes it, or I've run out of spare parts.

To be completely honest, my new computer runs the game with no problem (Windowed Mode fix). I'm trying to find a proper fix for a friend, who bought the Collector's Edition.

I think I found a fix. It works for me anyways.

1.) Validate your files in Steam. (just to be sure)

2.) Exit completely out of Steam

3.) Open Windows Explorer, go to (your steam folder)\steamapps\common\skyrim

4.) Launch the game by opening TESV.exe

I just played for 45 minutes, no crash whatsoever. I used to get the black screen of death after 5 minutes, like the dude who was nice enough to post the youtube video. I'm running a Radeon HD 6950, Windows 7 64-bit, with a AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor (3.4ghz)

Try it out, and post here if it works for you.

I tried many things that seemed to work for hours and then it crashed. It is random. I crashed every 10 min, did the 70% processor speed "fix", played for hours on end without problems to then crash the next day. Please tell us if your fix works for long periods of time, as in days in a row. Getting a bit confused with all the ppl saying their problem is fixed, altho it might've been just for a short while.

Edited by Zolexus

No worries. I guess it was just me then. All I know is before I was getting hard crashes quite regularly. Now I'm playing for 8 hours at a stretch. Hope they release a fix for you soon. Edited by Quin1