Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I'm also having this issue. I have Windows 7 32-bit. Like with the others, I get a black screen, usually have some sound lockup (buzz), and then the computer acts like it shuts off (quite suddenly), but it's actually still on. I have to reset it or turn it off and back on. I have noticed that for me it only happens in some caves, usually when there is water around. I also notice that the screen will flicker a lot when I am looking at water in caves. This never happens on the surface and most dungeons seem to be ok. I'm not sure if the flickering is related, but it seems to be since that's usually when i get a system crash. I've tried the various fixes mentioned in this thread and around the internet. This is a new install of Win7 too, so I don't think it's being caused by any kind of OS corruption. It's also a new video card. New memory too, for what it's worth. I recently replaced just about everything in my system except the motherboard. Haven't had any issues in other games so far. I'm fairly certain my PS has enough power for my gpu. It's a 650watt PS with a Geforce GTX460.

Also, the crashes are apparently preventing event viewer from recording them, so there's nothing in Event Viewer relevant to the issue.

Specs:

Mainboard : Asus M3N72-D

Chipset : nVidia nForce 740a SLI

Processor : AMD Phenom II X4 945e @ 3000MHz

Physical Memory : 4096MB (2 x 2048 DDR2-SDRAM )

Video Card : NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460

Hard Disk : Seagate ST3500418AS ATA Device (500GB)

Hard Disk : IC35L120 AVV207-0 (124GB)

Hard Disk : SAMSUNG HD103SJ (1000GB)

Hard Disk : Seagate Desktop (2000GB)

Hard Disk : Western Digital WD3200JB-00KFA0 (320GB)

DVD-Rom Drive : ATAPI iHAS124 A

Monitor Type : LM05 - 19 inches

Network Card : Nvidia MCP77 Ethernet

Operating System : Windows 7 Home Premium Home Edition Media Center 6.01.7601 Service Pack 1 (32-bit)

DirectX : Version 11.00

Edited by Shadowstar

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've just started having this issue, after getting far enough into the game to kill 3 dragons.

It seems like no matter what I do from my last save point, the game crashes my PC hard after just a couple of minutes. I'm not willing to put my PC through this over and over to test my actions in the game, so I guess I'm waiting for a patch...

System specs:

Win 7 64-bit

AMD Radeon HD 6900

Intel Core 2 Due E8500 3.16GHz

4GB RAM

Hello,

I'm experiencing a similar (but not quite) issue.

5-20 minutes into the game my computer stucks and requires a Hard Reset.

However, in like 95% of the cases my screen doesn't go black, but brownish-green with darker and lighter stripes.

Sometimes the color is slightly more brown- or greenish, I think it's dependent on which color was more dominant in the game when the 'stuck' occurs, but I'm not exactly sure.

Not sure how to describe this best.

Also, when this happens the music continues for 2-10 seconds after the 'stuck' and then starts looping/buzzing like in the problem you guys have.

It's definately not a heat, dust, sound or driver problem.

I think I spent more time trying to fix this game than in work last week.

EDIT: Forgot specs, sorry.

Mainboard: Asus P5E3 Pro

CPU: Intel Core2Duo E8400 3.00 Ghz.

GPU: ATI Radeon 5770 1GB

RAM: 4096MB

HDD: Western Digital WD5000AAKS 500GB

Edited by ohhaithere

So does throttling the CPU (to 60%?) make the game or your PC unstable or something?

I know I'll at least have to lower the graphics settings but should I have to revert it back to 100% after I finish playing?

Also, does it seem to work for most of you guys?

I tried going to 70%, but I still crashed like 5 minutes in. I didn't turn the graphics down, or play in window mode... so idk.

You could try lowering your graphics as low as possible but it's okay if you have a high draw distance so things dont just pop out of your face. Plus, try this http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=134 because it's a common fix for CTD, if 70% won't fix you, try going under it, 60% worked for me. Still, this is NOT an exact and sure fix, we're still waiting for the real one that Bethesda will release on the 28th (or sooner, I hope)

EDIT: This is a temporary fix for CTD's and GPU failing, just saying if someone would say my post is only about CTD's

I'm not having a CTD problem...

I know that, it's just common that after you find a way to fix your GPU crashing and play, there's a tendency that while playing a CTD can occur, that's why I also added a CTD fix.

interesting how noone reads entire thread but last 2 pages....

it got nothing to do with temperature of ur pc.... my temp dont go over 55 and it still crashes...

ALso... settings in control panel that you change not to have power save mode is useless too

Also... underclocking g card didnt give any results.....

AND SO ON & ON & On

why repeating others ? if you got nothing new to say then dont... this thread is having too many useless posts and pages.....

Same problems here with Win7 64bit, Radeon HD6870. I played the tutorial and the first dungeon without any problems. But in the open world, my pc crashes within 10 seconds - monitor goes black, music is continuing, after further 10 seconds I need to reboot. I tried the common things described in that post, but nothing fixes. It doesn't matter if I play the game with ultra settings or lowest possible in window mode. I monitored the hardware during the crash, these are the last moments of my running system. The GPU temp is below 50°C! It also doesn't matter if I stressed the PC before. I don't have that issue with other games, for instance I'm playing Dirt 3 on High settings.

I actually found out from a friend that his comp keeps crashing cuz he didn't have enough power going to his GPU. And I'm thinking that my issue is the same since I just realized I have a 500w PSU atm. So I ordered a new one (800w) so I should be in business by the time the patch arrives.

You just waisted your money, bro. HD6850 with i7-920 is using less than 250W on load, so your system should be at ~230W on load. No need to get a new PSU (unless it was a no name peace of s*** one with 60% efficiency). The problem is most likely in the game not in hardware as I did not have this issue for 8-9 days and it only started yesterday.

Same problems here with Win7 64bit, Radeon HD6870. I played the tutorial and the first dungeon without any problems. But in the open world, my pc crashes within 10 seconds - monitor goes black, music is continuing, after further 10 seconds I need to reboot. I tried the common things described in that post, but nothing fixes. It doesn't matter if I play the game with ultra settings or lowest possible in window mode. I monitored the hardware during the crash, these are the last moments of my running system. The GPU temp is below 50°C! It also doesn't matter if I stressed the PC before. I don't have that issue with other games, for instance I'm playing Dirt 3 on High settings.

Mate i was searching net for days... tried every possible suggestion and nothing happened. Have same problem as you. It looks like we got no other choice but to wait for patch and hope it fix game.

Open Catalyst control center (should be an icon in your quicklaunch bar).

Go to performance - amd overdrive - go past the warning messages - make sure "enable graphic overdrive" is clicked - make sure "enable manual fan control" is clicked

Then you put it to some percentage where you hear your fan louder than normal. In the game alt-tab frequently to monitor your GPU heat in that same overdrive panel. Don't let it get over 60.

Again, it could be this isn't a fix. sometimes it can take a while to crash and I still haven't had much time to play. I'll keep you updated after a few more days playing. Concidering more people have tried this and still had crashes, I'm assuming this won't even fix it.

For the person who said it was a graphic card issue and not a game issue, please read through the whole thread and also note that a game like this can not and will never "normally" overheat a crossfire radeon 6870, unless it was coded very badly, which this game is. Concidering the amount of ppl getting this issue with this game and not with others, I'd like it if ppl stopped posting "its the graphic card" because it isn't.

Edited by Zolexus