Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Zolexus, you should alter the OP because for some like me it can be reproduced. It only happens when I try to view the map or ride a horse.

Sounds like a completely different issue like 99% of the people of this thread have mate. This is about a crash that happens randomly

Open Catalyst control center (should be an icon in your quicklaunch bar).

Go to performance - amd overdrive - go past the warning messages - make sure "enable graphic overdrive" is clicked - make sure "enable manual fan control" is clicked

Then you put it to some percentage where you hear your fan louder than normal. In the game alt-tab frequently to monitor your GPU heat in that same overdrive panel. Don't let it get over 60.

I played for 25 minutes straight this way until now. Could be a coincidence, though. I once played 5 hours straight without any monitoring and a slightly overclocked GPU, as opposed to an underclocked one now.

However, 60°C is basically nothing for a GPU. I virtually have to alt-tab every 2 minutes for it to cool below 60° with 88% fan speed.

Edited by ohhaithere

I think I may have found it. Try it and see if it works for any you, and if it doesn't, Direct 10 or 11 is free to obtain again anyway:

Uninstall DirectX, then install DirectX 9. I think the game running under DirectX10 is causing the crash.

Again, this is a maybe, and I'm not 100% that this will work, but it's worth a try, I guess. If someone posted this here already, tell me and I'll remove this post.

I think I may have found it. Try it and see if it works for any you, and if it doesn't, Direct 10 or 11 is free to obtain again anyway:

Uninstall DirectX, then install DirectX 9. I think the game running under DirectX10 is causing the crash.

Again, this is a maybe, and I'm not 100% that this will work, but it's worth a try, I guess. If someone posted this here already, tell me and I'll remove this post.

Will try, thank you.

I don't know why this would be the case, but I'm desperate enough to try anything by now.

Anyway, hook me up, how'd you come to that conclusion?

Edited by ohhaithere

In a nutshell: black screen bug; thought I fixed it; crash and couldn't reboot; PC is finally working again.

Long version:

Well I had the same problem like you guys.

When I started playing Skyrim everything worked just fine for about 20 hours, but when I came to Riften, more precisely the thieves guild my monitor went black after about one minute. I loaded a previous savegame (before Riften) and could play normally (only one crash) in other regions for a couple of hours, but finally I also experienced crashes there.

When Catalyst 11.11 came out I installed it and also installed the ENBSeries patch, since I wasn't able to see fire etc. I went straight to the thieves guild and voilà I didn't have any crash then or during the next hours.

Well I thought that I had found a fix, but when I left the base of the black hand (probably 15 hours after I had 'fixed' Skyrim ) my pc crashed during the loading screen and when I tried to reboot my monitor stayed black. Since my pc has an onboard graphics card I was able remove the normal one and reboot it. Then I build in my graphics card again, to be 100% sure that it's broken - well seems like it runs fine now, but I won't play Skyrim before they release a patch.

Edited by Dagegen777

interesting how noone reads entire thread but last 2 pages....

it got nothing to do with temperature of ur pc.... my temp dont go over 55 and it still crashes...

ALso... settings in control panel that you change not to have power save mode is useless too

Also... underclocking g card didnt give any results.....

AND SO ON & ON & On

why repeating others ? if you got nothing new to say then dont... this thread is having too many useless posts and pages.....

Speak for yourself. Mine is constantly running at 78-80 degrees. It may be easier to cool your computer using a desktop rather than a laptop.

Mine was an overheating issue, and I resolved it.

Zolexus, you should alter the OP because for some like me it can be reproduced. It only happens when I try to view the map or ride a horse.

Sounds like a completely different issue like 99% of the people of this thread have mate. This is about a crash that happens randomly

It's still the black screen crash and it has been mentioned by some in this thread that it only happens when viewing the map.

It's still the black screen crash and it has been mentioned by some in this thread that it only happens when viewing the map.

That sounds more like a corrupted file then anything else.

Re-installing is your best guess.