Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

In that case, it seems that there are multiple issues causing the same crash.

Most of us seem to have AMD processors, but they vary a lot in specs and age, going to my five year old CPU to the newest hexacores. Most of us also seem to have ATi cards. a large proportion of which are 6870's, but with the odd 4870 and 5870 thrown in.

I wonder, then, what on earth is causing it.

I'll test it on my little brother's hexacore rig with his 6870 later on when I go home, see if I can reproduce the bug there.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In that case, it seems that there are multiple issues causing the same crash.

Most of us seem to have AMD processors, but they vary a lot in specs and age, going to my five year old CPU to the newest hexacores. Most of us also seem to have ATi cards. a large proportion of which are 6870's, but with the odd 4870 and 5870 thrown in.

I wonder, then, what on earth is causing it.

I'll test it on my little brother's hexacore rig with his 6870 later on when I go home, see if I can reproduce the bug there.

Unless I just randomly got lucky by putting the settings right on my CCC, it has nothing to do with the video card. At least the Radeon 5870.

Unless I just randomly got lucky by putting the settings right on my CCC, it has nothing to do with the video card. At least the Radeon 5870.

Well, it seems to be the thing that most people have in common. So either it's a driver issue or, since many have reported the same issue in bf3 (And by extension bad company 2) and changing the audio to 16 bit 44100 seems to prolong the gaming experience for some, the realtek issue.

64-bit Windows 7 here, i5, 4GB, ATI HD 5770

I started getting frequent crashes last weekend - mostly CTDs, but also a few black screens and BSODs. Not only Skyrim kept crashing after a few seconds of gameplay, but also EVE Online, which usually runs fine with 2 game clients open, and even FireFox.

Tried updating the graphics drivers - this at least let me play EVE again. Tried cache file verification - this just led to the Skyrim launcher CTDing. Tried running the TESV.exe as administrator - that let me play for a while.

Last night I had another CTD after which the launcher would instantly crash every time. This morning, trying to run the exe as administrator again, I had 2 BSODs in close succession, each giving memory management as the cause.

So I ran windows memory diagnostics, which told me I had a hardware failure. Installed and ran memtest... and sure enough, one of my RAM modules failed on the first test.

I'm currently waiting for a replacement - and hope that this will sort it.

This problem is being brought up more and more on the Bethesda forums, and for most people it happened the same way as mine. Game starts out great, crashes here and there, then progressively gets worse and worse to the point of unplayable. For many it takes 40-60 hours or even more of playtime before the crashes start. How in the hell did Bethesda let this slip through the cracks?

Is probably a problem of Steam, because who have pirated no have problems with crashes. (read in various forums)

this is not just a problem with steam; i refunded my game cuz this is bs

i then downloaded it, transfered my saves and same thing happened.

I've been having this issue too. Screen goes to Power Saving Mode (Blue light turns orange), and only a hard reboot turns it back on. Also, the sound goes wonky.

The issue has troubled me a while, and I've done some research before, with various suggestions that in the end didn't work. But I think I might have found something now (which honestly is a bit embarassing due to how obvious it should have been. But then I guess: Out of sight, out of mind.)

First I have a question to you guys: What kind of connection cable do you use between your monitor and your computer? I have an analog cable with an adapter for VDI-I (dual), since I didn't have a VDI cable on hand when I built my computer, and the my graphics card only had VDI-I ports. I had intended to exchange it for a proper cable, because in this setup, I only get analog mode, instead of the intended digital video mode.

And here is this "Out of Sight" part comes in. I am going to get this VDI-I cable later. I am going to plug it in, and start Skyrim. Let's see if it helps (it's practically guaranteed that I will get a crash with Skyrim at least once a day. I had had the problem with Fallout 3, Oblivion, Fallout New Vegas, and now with Skyrim. More than ever with Skyrim. My guess is that the analog cable really can't handle the load of data it has to transmit, but the monitor expects it, so it assumes it is not being used right now. Of course, I am just trying to make sense somehow, so if I am wrong, please correct me.).

Anyway, the post that helped me realise this is HERE.

By the way, I know this is for a specific monitor by a specific company (LG). I personally have an LG M227WDP Flat Monitor. I also have a second one of this model, in use as television (it can be used as both). The one used as television has a regular TV line, a DVD player and an Xbox360 each connected by HDMI cables. I've *never* experienced anything like it with any of those modes - watching television, DVD, or playing Xbox 360. I did however exchange the two monitors, and tried the TV one with the computer (again, this model can be used as either TV or computer monitor.). When playing one of the four games above (though I suspect it would happen with other graphic intensive games too), after some time the same thing happens. So I think it might really be the connection to the computer.

My specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo

E6850 3.00GHz

3.25 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

And the monitor is a Flatron M227WDP by LG, like I said.

So no, it's not only AMD cards. :(

I'll report how using the proper VDI-I cable works out for me.

I've been having this issue too. Screen goes to Power Saving Mode (Blue light turns orange), and only a hard reboot turns it back on. Also, the sound goes wonky.

The issue has troubled me a while, and I've done some research before, with various suggestions that in the end didn't work. But I think I might have found something now (which honestly is a bit embarassing due to how obvious it should have been. But then I guess: Out of sight, out of mind.)

First I have a question to you guys: What kind of connection cable do you use between your monitor and your computer? I have an analog cable with an adapter for VDI-I (dual), since I didn't have a VDI cable on hand when I built my computer, and the my graphics card only had VDI-I ports. I had intended to exchange it for a proper cable, because in this setup, I only get analog mode, instead of the intended digital video mode.

And here is this "Out of Sight" part comes in. I am going to get this VDI-I cable later. I am going to plug it in, and start Skyrim. Let's see if it helps (it's practically guaranteed that I will get a crash with Skyrim at least once a day. I had had the problem with Fallout 3, Oblivion, Fallout New Vegas, and now with Skyrim. More than ever with Skyrim. My guess is that the analog cable really can't handle the load of data it has to transmit, but the monitor expects it, so it assumes it is not being used right now. Of course, I am just trying to make sense somehow, so if I am wrong, please correct me.).

Anyway, the post that helped me realise this is HERE.

By the way, I know this is for a specific monitor by a specific company (LG). I personally have an LG M227WDP Flat Monitor. I also have a second one of this model, in use as television (it can be used as both). The one used as television has a regular TV line, a DVD player and an Xbox360 each connected by HDMI cables. I've *never* experienced anything like it with any of those modes - watching television, DVD, or playing Xbox 360. I did however exchange the two monitors, and tried the TV one with the computer (again, this model can be used as either TV or computer monitor.). When playing one of the four games above (though I suspect it would happen with other graphic intensive games too), after some time the same thing happens. So I think it might really be the connection to the computer.

My specs are:

Intel Core 2 Duo

E6850 3.00GHz

3.25 GB RAM

Nvidia GeForce 8800 GT

And the monitor is a Flatron M227WDP by LG, like I said.

So no, it's not only AMD cards. :(

I'll report how using the proper VDI-I cable works out for me.

I'm using an hdmi cable. I have one going from the computer to the monitor and one going from the computer to my TV. Been playing it on both, and it's been crashing the same exact way. When it crashes on me the screen goes black, still have sound, but if you try to press any of the buttons like left mouse button....you wont hear your character grunt. So from my experience it can't be the video connection... the game crashes, the screen turns black, and the sound hangs forever.

First of all sorry about my english.

My Skyrim works perfectly, but i have a strange CTD. I´ll try to explain it.....

When i get killed starts to load the last saved game. If the saved game is in the same zone that i got killed I always have a CTD

It doesn´t happen in interiors........only in exteriors. Always!!

Any Ideas???

First of all sorry about my english.

My Skyrim works perfectly, but i have a strange CTD. I´ll try to explain it.....

When i get killed starts to load the last saved game. If the saved game is in the same zone that i got killed I always have a CTD

It doesn´t happen in interiors........only in exteriors. Always!!

Any Ideas???

Read the topic title...

http://www.thenexusforums.com/index.php?/topic/457194-skyrim-closes-wno-error-or-ctd

Anyway ... It's not a problem with your hardware is guilty last patch.

Who installed the game before the patch (without updating) does not have these problems.

Edited by TaygaGirl