Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

That's interesting. I have the same, and I cannot play Skyrim because of hard resets. What hardware are you using ? Here I have a 3ghz Intel Core 2 Duo (no overclocking), a P5Q Asus motherboard (intel chipset), 4 go DDR2, and my GTX 260 comes with 896 Mo built-in RAM.

By the way, the game also works perfectly here on a old laptot with a HD2600 mobility radeon: maybe Path2Victory is pointing in the right direction.

Asus M4N78 PRO motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 810 processor (4 CPUs) ~ 2.6 GHZ, 4 gb ddr2 Kingston (2 x 2048 mb sticks) ram, and his GTX 260 comes with slightly less than 1 gb built in ram, I don't have access to the computer right now but 896 sounds right.

The computer that experiences these problems uses 4 ram sticks of the same type instead of two and a Powercolor 5750HD 1gb graphics card, that's the only difference in hardware.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was experiencing the same kind of crashes where I would get screen corruption and game freezes requiring reboot, but it seems like I managed to solve the issue by arranging better cooling for the video card. The card is running stock, but I suspect the video memory was getting too hot nevertheless. Looking at the temperatures didn't give any clue in my case, because the GPU core temperature never exceeded 75 degrees. Likewise, slowing the memory clock didn't help. I have to do more testing, but I just played six hours with high detail and various mods, yet no freezes.

If you suspect you are experiencing GPU related crashes, I think it's worth a shot if you have a spare fan around. Case fan will do fine. For testing purposes, you can use a zip tie or such to attach the extra fan somewhere near the video card.

Almost forgot, I'm using Nvidia 250 GTS.

Edited by artem1s

I was experiencing the same kind of crashes where I would get screen corruption and game freezes requiring reboot, but it seems like I managed to solve the issue by arranging better cooling for the video card. The card is running stock, but I suspect the video memory was getting too hot nevertheless. Looking at the temperatures didn't give any clue in my case, because the GPU core temperature never exceeded 75 degrees. Likewise, slowing the memory clock didn't help. I have to do more testing, but I just played six hours with high detail and various mods, yet no freezes.

If you suspect you are experiencing GPU related crashes, I think it's worth a shot if you have a spare fan around. Case fan will do fine. For testing purposes, you can use a zip tie or such to attach the extra fan somewhere near the video card.

Almost forgot, I'm using Nvidia 250 GTS.

If your video card overheats abnormally,

you can put up to 10 fans, sooner or later your card dies ...

HIS HD6870 and the same crash to "no signal" with skyrim and AC and a few other newer games.

tried everything i could find and still it goes on.

not even an event or error log to see whats going on.

after checking google i found this problem has been around for a long time and seemingly ignored by radeon driver writers

now i finally cracked and went and bought a cheap nvidia gt520,and every game plays fine,the crashing has gone.

so after a lifetimes ati i will be converting to nvidia if the next set of drivers dont fix it.

if i re-install the card and this thing crashes one more time after the next drivers i am offski to nvidia.

HIS HD6870 and the same crash to "no signal" with skyrim and AC and a few other newer games.

after checking google i found this problem has been around for a long time and seemingly ignored by radeon driver writers

now i finally cracked and went and bought a cheap nvidia gt520,and every game plays fine,the crashing has gone.

so after a lifetimes ati i will be converting to nvidia if the next set of drivers dont fix it.

if i re-install the card and this thing crashes one more time after the next drivers i am offski to nvidia.

Finally, someone who's having problems with AC too. It would suck if it truly was crappy ATI video cards that made them crash. Because I have a laptop :S

Just to add my experience...

Skyrim seems to only crash with black screen when the map is opened. Strange thing: same happened to me while opening the map on Dead Island. I wonder if the problem is some kind related to a "GPU switching state"...

Playing with an ATI 5870.

I have the exact same card. Besides BF3 and Skyrim I don't have any games released in the last few months, (though I have a good list of 2008+ games that run fine) but it runs BF3 flawlessly on a mix of high-ultra settings 2xAA, and BF3 is far more GPU intensive than Skyrim. I just ran Furmark for over a half hour without trouble as well. I'm not saying it's not the AMD drivers, but I suspect it has something to do with the coding in these games. This is the first I've read about AC having this crash, but I know some people were having this problem with SR3.

Early on in this topic it was mentioned that THQ said they were working with AMD to fix the problem, does anyone know if anything ever came of that?

Edited by voldoman

Possible fix for Ati Users:

I found what seems to be a fix for this tedious full system crash when visiting the bethesda forum post mentioned a few pages ago on this thread (the compilation of everything we have tried). I'll post what I found on the thread here to make things easier.

Note: I don't think that this will work for Nvidia users, only ATI.

--------------------

Download atiumdag.dll from http://www.megaupload.com/?d=ICEDIU66

See the link at this forum post

http://www.overclock...0#post_15656590

Open folder

steam > steamapps > common > skyrim

Drag atimgpud.dll into the steam folder. (This is to just get it out of the skyrim folder without losing the file in case this does not work.)

Place atiumdag.dll in the skyrim folder (steam > steamapps > common > skyrim)

--------------------

This has fixed the full system crash when opening my map as well as the random crashes that we have all suffered dearly. I hope that this helps everyone else. I'll post back if I run into any issues using this "fix".

I have tried this after coming home from work, and it seems to work for me (Got the problem 100+ hours into the game when opening/using the map). But keep in mind that I did not have time for more extensive testing. Others are reporting problems with this fix (low fps), for some it works. Worth a try in my opinion.

Here's my rig:

Intel Core 2 Quad 2,4 GHz

Win 7 Pro x64

6GB RAM

2GB AMD Radeon 6970 with 11.9 drivers (11.11b didn't work either)

OCZ Vertex 3 SSD 120 GB

Don't wanna cheer too soon, but thanks Falthos for posting this!

So I tried Falthos' fix more extensively and still had the lockups after opening the map multiple times. Setting audio to 16bit, Updating audio & video drivers and turning off VSync didn't help, so I underclocked my GPU as others have in the thread. This helped, I was able to play the last 4 hours stable with only a minor loss of FPS. I used Ati Control center to set my GPU frequency from 880 MHz to 700 MHz, leaving the memory clock at the lowest level, which is default. You should give that a try if you haven't already.

I have the impression that this has something to do with the amount of power the GPU uses. This could explain the full power offs and the fact that for some users, this happens everytime (Skyrim being too demanding for the system in a whole) and for others, it only happens when opening the map (which is a rather demanding task as I have noticed, my GPU fan accelerates while on the map screen).

Underclocking seems to help for a big amount of users with this specific problem. It reduces the stress on the power usage, so this could be a possible explanation in my opinion.

I don't have the expertise, but is there a way to monitor the power amount used by certain system components? If so, maybe we should track the power usage during said crashes and see if that offers some new approaches to the problem.

Edited by DolAtoR