Skyrim complete PC crashes

Zolexus

I have the exact same card. Besides BF3 and Skyrim I don't have any games released in the last few months, (though I have a good list of 2008+ games that run fine) but it runs BF3 flawlessly on a mix of high-ultra settings 2xAA, and BF3 is far more GPU intensive than Skyrim. I just ran Furmark for over a half hour without trouble as well. I'm not saying it's not the AMD drivers, but I suspect it has something to do with the coding in these games. This is the first I've read about AC having this crash, but I know some people were having this problem with SR3.

I have same card, HIS HD6870. I wish I was as lucky as you tho. My PC black screens on BF3 during map change and randomly on single player!!! BUT, on BF3 if I play in windows mode and just stretch the screen to full size, the game won't black screen.. Every other game runs perfectly though including Fallout 3, Saints Row The Third, MW3, and Fable 3.

Edited by zatro

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the strangest of things has happened to me today. this could be a possible fix for ATI users!

so i downloaded a d3d9.dll file from one of the posts in here - i cannot remember which one. i had put it in my skyrim folder and played only to see my game crash just like it always had. today, however, i tried something different: i launched the skyrim launcher via the radeonpro application. straight away, the message came up that my settings were configured for ultra high. this struck me a bit odd, since my last detection was set to high. i ran the game and was able to play for an entire hour on a brand new save. i've even got mods running and have edited the ini files to tweak my settings.

what i noticed in the skyrimprefs file is what may have allowed me to play (and note that i didn't crash during the hour that i played for). i'm running an ATI 6850, but found sD3DDevice="NVIDIA Geforce 8800 GS" in the ini. i have a feeling that this was due to the d3d9.dll file in my skyrim folder. could some of these issues stem simply from a string of text? i will play some more and hopefully continue on crash free.

pastebins for anyone who wants to go over my settings:

skyrim.ini

skyrimprefs.ini

Could it have something to do with Mouse Acceleration or activated Subtitles?

My game worked fine for over two weeks after installing a custom driver, then it stopped working.

I disabled Mouse Acceleration in skyrimprefs.ini shortly before the problems started.

Also, I had strange occurence that subtitles were there but disabled in the game menu, I tagged those on, too.

That's literally the only thing I changed.

The denial over on the bethesda forum is staggering.

people just spouting that the crashing is down to peoples power supplies just because they read somewhere ati are power greedy.

truth is my hd6870 iceq draws lesspower than most others in the range.

its definitley something they are doing with the game code thats flat fatal erroring on a lot of hd cards.

just so sick of the crashing,paid £180 for this 6870 a few months ago,and a £40 nvidia can best it in games ?...bloody nuts.

Edited by AJ Rimmer Bsc.Ssc.

SO, the "atiumdag.dll" gave me ONE night of skyrim gaming, no hassle.

Boot up my computer the next day for some more and..... crash within 2 minutes. "what the f*** is THIS s***"

Try again, another crash, then the computer wouldn't boot up, I looked in the bios and it wasn't detecting my hard drive.

Thankfully it booted up and detected again and turning the whole system off and unplugging and plugging the hard drive back in.

I'm really tempted to get a damn nvidia card Now. They'll go into an ASUS AMD mobo right...?

The ANTIBSOD enb patch (patch 7) actually works if you change the value of ANTIBSOD from false to true in the enbpatch.ini included with the file, don't forget to download the other dll's Boris posted at the top of his download page and please, read the readme before doing anything else. The reason why ANTBSOD is set to false by default is because that it takes up performance.

EDIT: This is a possibility not a certainty.

Edited by njemopogi

I really think that this is newer cards issue, seeing like 95% of people here with this problem use nVidia 560-580 or ATI of same level.

Also, taking in consideration that this happenes not only in Skyrim - I personally had same issue with SR3, played AC Revelations for 20 mins w/o crash but 20 mins doesn't mean anything and Batman AC also had no craseh for short game session but still.

People report other games have this.

So IMO card manufacturers should also be working on this with Bethesda.

Could someone post this on nVidia and ATI forums and give links here so we all can track?

After a long process of trying many different things, I have been reading recently about underclocking my gpu. So far this has worked for me. I have an HD 4670 and I went below the default settings and my crashes have stopped. While I am a novice at computers and their settings, something this simple seems to have done the trick. I know this is an awful way to get the game working effectively, but as a last resort, I will take it.

The bottom line is that I personally need to upgrade the psu and gpu.

An update:

With Boris' patch 7 and AntiBSOD set to true my black screen crashes became CTD's. The good thing is that CTD's are easier to bare with, the bad thing is that Boris' patch doesn't work with FXAA injector and HD textures etc.

So either awesome picture and black screens or crappy default Skyrim wolrd with CTD's... Pick your choice heh.

Plus, CTD's are still pretty often, so basicly... we are still with unplayable game.

P.S. New version of Boris' patch is out (number 8, AntiBsod is now stable and not decreasing performance).

Edited by Ryomitsu

That's interesting. I have the same, and I cannot play Skyrim because of hard resets. What hardware are you using ? Here I have a 3ghz Intel Core 2 Duo (no overclocking), a P5Q Asus motherboard (intel chipset), 4 go DDR2, and my GTX 260 comes with 896 Mo built-in RAM.

By the way, the game also works perfectly here on a old laptot with a HD2600 mobility radeon: maybe Path2Victory is pointing in the right direction.

Asus M4N78 PRO motherboard, AMD Phenom II X4 810 processor (4 CPUs) ~ 2.6 GHZ, 4 gb ddr2 Kingston (2 x 2048 mb sticks) ram, and his GTX 260 comes with slightly less than 1 gb built in ram, I don't have access to the computer right now but 896 sounds right.

The computer that experiences these problems uses 4 ram sticks of the same type instead of two and a Powercolor 5750HD 1gb graphics card, that's the only difference in hardware.

Thank you for the informations. I cannot see anything really significant: we have the same kind of hardware, mine is using Intel processor and chipset while yours is using AMD processor and nvidia chipset, but that is too generic for giving me a clue.

I am going to try the ENSB patch, at least if my hard resets become CTDs it will be less harmful for the computer.