Skyrim vs Oblivion vs Morrowind

Goliath978

286 members have voted

1. 1. Which was your favorite(technology aside)?

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I have yet to play Skyrim due to gameplay issues on my computer- I have just purchased a new one to remedy this.

But, from everything I've read, the best parts of Morrowind aren't here:

1. The inclusive feeling of being part of the factions you join and how joining one affects your relations with others.

2. The variety of NPCs and feeling like areas are truly diverse.

3. The epic-ness of the storyline where you play a legend and everyone knows who you are at the end of the game.

4. The length of quests. Yes, long quests can sometimes be tedious. But then again that just means you get a bigger sense of satisfaction when you've finished it. Another thing I loved/hated in Morrowind is that at times it took a LONG time to get to out of the way places- it was kind of realistic.

5. This is just my personal wish, but I loved being able to join the Great Houses that each had their own specialties and architecture and such and advance in them. ( Also the ability to make a stronghold was awesome in my opinion- and I think it would be great if you could not only build your own stronghold in future games, but customize the architecture, hire guards, maybe employ shopkeepers or merchants of which you get taxes from, etc. Dunno, maybe I'm crazy to ever think that could ever happen. )

Oblivion doesn't enter consideration. I literally dropped that game into the trash I was so disgusted and only repurchased the goty later to try shivering isles (which went a small way to redemption) + mods.

Hah! I purchased Oblivion a week after release. After all these years the highest level toon I got was level 10ish. For whatever reason it never stuck with me. A year ago I reinstalled and modded the heck out of it (Obscuro's, Guard overhaul) etc etc and tried again. After a few days it never got played.

I like Skyrim and I liked Morrowind...but the graphics in Morrowind weren't as good and I don't recall being able to ride horses..which I love! :D It's been awhile since I've played Morrowind though...did we ride horses?

I like Oblivion the best. The Ayleid Ruins and it was a brighter place. Skyrim is kind of too dark for my taste. Kind of reminds me of Fallout NV because it's so grey and depressing. I really don't like that at all. But I like the graphics otherwise and the Morrowind type of conversations. Haven't really gotten into different weapons and armor yet. I'm just want to get past the main quest so I don't have to deal with dragons anymore...hopefully. But I like that I have a companion who follows me around and helps me with stuff and carries things for me. And I read my horse will carry things for me, too but I haven't tried that. I haven't seen that option as of yet.

But definitely Oblivion for now. I may change my mind after playing Skyrim a little more.

I voted for morrowind, the main reasons are the exotic flair, the mass of spells, a little bit the travelsystem and because of the shops. It was a big extraexperience to discover new shops and traders, in Oblivion and Skyrim this is totally missed, all traders are the same and boring. In Morrowind i had so many eyeoutplopping moments and happynesses when i found new traders with extra much gold or items of rare materials.

So i love Morrowind most, but Oblivion and Skyrim too, they are all great games.

Morrowind: Cliff racers

Skyrim: Big cliff racers (i.e. dragons).

The best thing mentioned in this thread! :D

(Apparently I'm the only one who cared about the diversity of the loot, hehe...)

But from what I've read, doesnt it appear that most here would buy/play Morrowind again if the engine was upgraded to Skyrims Level?

doesnt it appear that most here would buy/play Morrowind again if the engine was upgraded to Skyrims Level?

Um, YES, Morrowind with the same storyline/features/UI with Havok physics and better graphics/textures? Clear my calendar, I would re-pay for that s***, maybe even $60, actually probably

Now, *disclaimer* I have not yet played Skyrim so I'll keep those thoughts out of this, instead speaking more about general TES issues and preferences (planning on waiting to buy it when our great modders create a functional PC-oriented UI--thank you in advance!)

That said, Morrowind to me had the most magic. It was, by far, the most realistic and believable foreign world I've been to in all my gaming or even reading. I just lost myself in that world, inbetween crashing every 5 minutes.

--I loved the old-school TEXT dialogs, made Morrowind feel like a classic RPG

--I loved the transportation system, a combination of fast-travel and having to work a bit to access Mage teleportation, boats, silt striders, and propylon chambers. Bring that back Bethesda!

--I loved the feel of politics in Vvardenfell, that everything was just simmering beneath the surface, that every group really hated each other but kept things only barely in check due to Imperial power

--I loved the almost horror genre level of fear and intensity of 6th House bases. They made my skin crawl, that deep reddish hue

--I LOVED the User Interface of Morrowind, that you had it all on ONE SCREEN, HELLO EARTH TO BETHESDA; map, equipment, spells, inventory....on a single screen, with sizable and adjustable windows. Can I get any clearer

--I loved the many different factions you could join, each with a good 9, 10, 12 quests for you before you reached the top (Imperial Legion, Imperial cult, Hlaalu, Redoran, Telvanni, Fighter's, Thieve's, Mage's, Morag Tong....prolly missing a couple)

--I loved the Dwemer ruins, the 'high technology' of the age and of that world, despite being 'old fashioned' hah, fertile story ground there. Also very creepy along with 6th House, the sounds of the steamworks (the good kind of steamworks!)

--I loved those open, non-loading cities, really helped with immersion factor. 'Hey there's a city, let's run inside it! Hey no problem, I can do that without seeing an ugly loading bar interrupt my walking, wow this city is beautiful!'

--bunch of other stuff too, I'm sure, haven't played in several years but you get the gist

Things I hated about Morrowind in comparison with other TES titles:

--I hated not having a useful compass and having to search vainly for a remote dungeon. Love that compass

--I hated the constant unstable crashing, even post-patch. Made me learn to depend on (and remember!) quicksaving every few minutes or risk losing 45 minutes of work

--I hated the simplistic combat system (chop chop chop slash chop dead). One thing Oblivion got right

--I hated (don't kill me) the main storyline, thought it was not nearly ambitious enough, could have been much longer and done much better, but that's the writer in me, never satisfied

--I hated cliff racers, f*** em

That's about it, I think

Lot of things to like about Oblivion, too, but Morrowind had more positives. It just 'felt' more real, so here's hoping Skyrim is more real. From what you all have said, it sounds like Skyrim has indeed recaptured more of what Morrowind had.

Edit: added my thoughts on cliff racers

Edited by SansSword

I'm sorry but I beg to differ! How could the bland landscape of Morrowind impress anyone but a rock? It's...sand...thank you...

I just can't see where love for that game would come! I played it a long time and tried to get into it...and I play super immersive and role-play...but just couldn't muster even a little bit of passion for it.