Footprints (Really, Bethesda?)

Moogiefluff

That's right, footprints are needed. Once again, it wouldn't bother me so much if I could always be in 1st person, but when you're forced to look your horse strangely walking above deep snow without leaving prints, it fells very strange.

Agreed, it doesn't bother me much but surprised they left them out, maybe they deliberately left some obvious features out of the game for modders to work on?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lol what $60 i paid $89 for my game, Australian prices really suck.

One of the first things i noticed in the game was no footprints, this would be handy in many cases. What if you're tracking bandits, if u saw their footprints u could follow them or if you're out exploring and came across some they could lead to a hideout or a village. Just have them wipe every time it snows or something.

It's the little things that add realism to the game

There's a few too many fanboys in this topic defending Bethesda for the obvious lack of basic immersion features.

Singleplayer games are, if nothing else, designed and played for the immersion they bring to the table. They are designed to have stories and characters that envelop you and indulge you with your fantasies. They are designed to bring to the table and large and expansive world that you literally get lost in.

Has Bethesda brought this? Who knows. That's as subjective a question as asking if chicken tastes good. It is a very minor thing to ask for. It is rather menial. But his points are very much valid: Even the most simplistic of games, even the oldest games, had some form of footprints.

Immersion is not about what is there, but about what is missing. Immersion is achieved when you no longer notice anything, immersion is broken when you notice something is gone.

Edited by MrTastix

hard part is telling when your on snow (probably).

Shouldn't be a problem, there's a different sound when you walk, depending on the nature of the ground, thus, there's a way to tell what it is in order to play the right sound.

He is right, You would just use the sound trigger to determine what sort of terrain you are walking on.

I'm thinking about Metal Gear here... :tongue: And that's ooooold!

Where's the line between criticizing and trolling? Depends on the person, I suppose. But in this case I got plainly disappointed, really, to the point of needing to ask "Hey, there are no footprints! Are you ok with that?"

Is not like it is only one zone in the game that has snow... :ermm:

I think footprints would be great because hunting in this game actually gives payouts beyond just food and I find it very immersive. That said, adding footprints would be a real save game bloater unless they could be enabled only in the immediate surrounding cells of the PCs current location and set to short persistence. (Except for any quest that would entail tracking some one/some thing which would be very cool too!)