ℹ️ Intermittent Download History issues ×

How do you create mods for a new weapon?

sankojin

I finally made my first mod and I released it last week, the tsuki no hana katana. I released it as a weapon that can be made into a new one from a previous version. To do this it requires another mod. I really want to make this a stand alone.

What I really wanted to do was to make the original sword just to be modded in game using the weapon work bench. I would like to be able to swap out the old mesh with a newer one to upgrade the stats just like when your in game and you change out the barrel on a gun. The problem is that I have no idea how to do this. I have downloaded other peoples mods and tried to work back wards but that isn't helping. I have no idea how to do this and when ever i try to google it, google thinks that I am looking to make mods for fallout when I want to change weapon mods at the weapons bench.

If this is in a tutorial somewhere could someone please link it to me? If not I would really appreciate help of any kind to be able to do this.

thanks

You may need to make a Mod Association keyword.

The vanilla Mod Association keyword EditorIDs all start with "ma_"

If you add the keyword to a weapon and add the keyword to weapon mods you want to be used with that weapon, the mods become associated with that weapon.

If you make a new weapon mod, you can right click on it in the object window and click on "Create Loose Mod"

Then you can go to the loose mod you made (Items>MiscItem>miscmod_editoridofyourweaponmodhere), edit it however you need to, right click on it and click "Create Recipe"

Then you can go to the recipe (Items>Constructible Object>co_miscmod_editoridofyourweaponmodhere), edit it however you need to and you're done with that weapon mod.

Edited by noahdvs

Yup, weapon mods are composed of 3 parts. The weapon mod (object modification), recipe (construction object), and the misc item which is what you get when you unequip the mod. The mod association links all of these together. (On my phone, I'll fix typos later)

Oh, ninja'd by Noah in his edit.

Edited by ArekkusuStorm

If you add the keyword to a weapon and add the keyword to weapon mods you want to be used with that weapon, the mods become associated with that weapon.

If you make a new weapon mod, you can right click on it in the object window and click on "Create Loose Mod"

Then you can go to the loose mod you made (Items>MiscItem>miscmod_editoridofyourweaponmodhere), edit it however you need to, right click on it and click "Create Recipe"

Then you can go to the recipe (Items>Constructible Object>co_miscmod_editoridofyourweaponmodhere), edit it however you need to and you're done with that weapon mod.

Thanks for the help Noahdvs and ArekkusuStorm. When you say to right click on the object window do you mean in the window displaying the sword? Or do I it to a ma_, co_mod or to the mod_melee file?

Thanks for the help Noahdvs and ArekkusuStorm. When you say to right click on the object window do you mean in the window displaying the sword? Or do I it to a ma_, co_mod or to the mod_melee file?

In the Creation Kit, there is a window called the Object Window. If you've learned how to do any programming with an object oriented language (e.g., Java, C++, C#), the name makes sense, but not if you haven't. It's basically the window with all the records/EditorIDs in it. I'm saying to go to that window, and right click on the weapon mod you made. Yes, that does mean the ma_, co_miscmod_, miscmod_ and mod_melee_ stuff.

In the Creation Kit, there is a window called the Object Window. If you've learned how to do any programming with an object oriented language (e.g., Java, C++, C#), the name makes sense, but not if you haven't. It's basically the window with all the records/EditorIDs in it. I'm saying to go to that window, and right click on the weapon mod you made. Yes, that does mean the ma_, co_miscmod_, miscmod_ and mod_melee_ stuff.

Okay I have gotten the mods to work but the models are not changing. Not sure what I need to fix. Any ideas?

So I have been working on this all night and I still do not know why my meshes are not changing when I upgrade my sword at the work bench. The only thing I can think of that I have found so fare is the children parent relationship of the nod in the nif. I built my sword from the Chinese officer sword blade. The blade is just a child as the handle is the parent. All my meshes are duplicates of that one blade so all of them are children. Does anyone know if one has to be a parent in the connecting meshes? The entire sword is one mesh and is a child in the nif. Does this matter for swapping out an entire mesh?

So for anyone that might have this problem in the future I have finally got it to work. I made my sword from the Chinese officer blade. The blade it self in the nif is set as a child in the 2nd or 3rd line in the block list. I remade my sword using the officer sword handle which is a parent nod. When I did this it now updates to the correct nif mesh when I upgrade the sword at a weapon bench.

Though I am having another problem when I did this. When I load my sword into the game the blade of the Chinese officer sword is there along with my blade. Going to trouble shoot this now and if i find out the reason or a fix ill update this post. Till then if anyone reading this knows why, I would really appreciate the help.

Update for those that might have this problem in the future. I had to go into the object template and change it to one of my new sword mesh. If you do not do this and you start off with a parent nif file for the base of your weapon it will add what ever child nod that was from the vanilla nif.