Underwhelming Cities?

Violentguy

Seems to me that most, if not all, of the major cities are smaller than the cities in Oblivion. There isn't much to do and there is only a handful of citizens that just walk around doing nothing. Anyone else notice it or am I just crazy?

Probably crazy...

Although I would agree that Solitude wasn't as big as I expected, even though it was impressive and far more impressive than the boring boring Counties in Oblivion. But they ARE bigger than Oblivion cities, not by much mind you. Riften is quite impressive...

well my guess is they're smaller and less people because we're in a nord/snowly climate and not in the vast land where there are tons of people and large buildings etc...

think of it as sykrim=norse tribe and imperial city=rome

the romans were vast and well spread out, very populated but here in skyrim we're not very large and etc

can put this in many different ways

Oblivion cities = same assets being repeated and reused over and over again, filled with dull, depressing citizens that stand around like zombies and have no character whatsoever. The footprint of the cities in Skyrim might be smaller, but each city has a clearly defined artistic direction, they're unique and varied, and each one is filled with people that are actaully interesting. Of all the things you could complain about I can't imagine anyone making a fuss over the cities or the people that inhabit them. Edited by FoolyFooly

Oblivion cities = same assets being repeated and reused over and over again, filled with dull, depressing citizens that stand around like zombies and have no character whatsoever. The footprint of the cities in Skyrim might be smaller, but each city has a clearly defined artistic direction,

not sure what you're smoking here, but what you've written is the exact opposite of true.

In oblivion there was far more variety than in skyrim, from the multistorey coloured buildings of leyawiin, to the short white bronze-doored buildings of anvil, to the shanty huts in bravil, to the sunken nord houses in bruma, to the tightly packed stone style of skingrad.

By comparison, skyrim has a lot less variety. several of its villages are, by and large, identical pointless shitholes, including but not limited to Dawnstar, Ivarstead, Riverwood, Morthal, Falkreath.

That said there are some nice places. Markarth, Soltude, Whiterun, Riften and Windhelm. all pretty unique and interesting. but on the whole the number of "good" cities is way lower than oblivion had, and i find that sad. perhaps it's quality over quantity although i like to think it's more "still quality, just less quantity". it's one of my main gripes about the game

Regarding the posts of the Skyrim/Cyrodiil comparison, I still think that the cities should have been twice as large, because otherwise they shouldn't have called it a city.

The largest city I felt like I was in was Windhelm, simply because of the giant buildings. Perhaps Markath, and Solitude too, then probably Whiterun. Some of the city (or towns, I should say) Like Falkreath and Winterhold were just demeaning.

Regarding the posts of the Skyrim/Cyrodiil comparison, I still think that the cities should have been twice as large, because otherwise they shouldn't have called it a city.

The largest city I felt like I was in was Windhelm, simply because of the giant buildings. Perhaps Markath, and Solitude too, then probably Whiterun. Some of the city (or towns, I should say) Like Falkreath and Winterhold were just demeaning.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the developers expressedly say before the game was released that there was supposed to be four or five (can't remember exactly) major settlements, and the rest smaller ones?