Crafting armor and weapons has killed the game for me!!

danny13d

while i think that crafting armors is a bit too easy i bet there are weapons and armors that are far better than what you can craft. so far i've found one unique item and i havent done many dungeons.

but whats more bothering me is that i can craft dwarf, elven, daedric and what-not armors without ever even seeing those armors before. It would be better if you needed to find a crafting instructions for armors from dungeons, or learn how to create armor after you've inspected one (could be done like disenchanting is done now)

Right now you can get materials for full dwarven set from certain city (dont want to spoil anything so im not telling the name of the city) and craft whole set immedietly when you get enough skills and that perk.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree with the OP here. While I feel that smithing/enchanting should be useful its completely game breaking right now. How is it that we the players can craft weapons/armor that is twice as good as any of the rewards given to us by daedric gods? Talk about breaking immersion/lore. It makes no sense sorry. Many have made the argument "Well dont use those skill trees then, its your own fault!" With that sense of logic, why use skill points at all? Why equip armor/weapons? Why not just run around naked? Right? Its obvious its needs to be scaled down.

I know I could have just not smithed my way to 100 immediately but when it was happening so quickly and I could see my dragon armour staring me in the face I had to push on! Like I said originally, the problem I have is that it has ruined my current play through, when I start another character I now know to stay away from smithing because its just to easy and ruins other aspects.

If the game could be changed tho, and I dont just mean for smithing. I like it when gear can only be used at a certain level, it means I have something to look forward to, something I have to hold onto until my character progresses. I have always loved the bethesda games but loot and gear is always an issue for me in there games, you always seem to be abel to get the good stuff straight away, ruinging a key aspect of an rpg.

What ever else is being said, smithing leveling is borked. out of all the skills I have focused on that... it's not right. I made 5 iron daggers and gained 5 levels in smithing. and so on.

At least in enchanting it isn't exactly easy to power level it. I have been soul trapping and making sure to practice enchanting on all the random loot before flogging it, and I'm not even at 70.

Well, I'm gonna throw down my two cents even though nobody asked.

Maxing crafting takes enough effort that I can't feel sympathy for someone who complains that they ruined their game when they sat there staring at menus, the fast travel screen and the crafting menu, ignoring the vast world of wonder that surrounds them. At that point in time, what game is there to ruin? In fact, instead of making the game easier, you probably made it harder, leveling up enemies with you while you sat there cranking points into a non-combat skill just so you can have cool gear, while your proficiencies with that gear are shite.

By reading all the post in this thread I have come to the conclusion that at the end of the day it is up to the player to decide whether it feels like "cheating" or not.

Some of us don't give a **** if it feels too easy, others do.

Personally I also feel that the game should be more restrictive when it comes to where and how you find the materials to use for smithing. That is my preference and opinion, there is no right or wrong here.

Because the rewards of smithing is so great and one is able to obtain a ridiculously good set of armor by not really going through much effort, wouldn't it be great if the only way you could achieve such results was by really just mining for ore and getting hides from creatures.

Just imagine the satisfaction of having made a piece of Elven armor by only mining for it or finding some moonstone ore in the deepest darkest Elven ruin.

The whole point of diving into another mine or cave or fort is with the anticipation of maybe finding some epic piece of goooodnesss! :dance: , and with that being taken away by easy smithing, there isn't really a point to explore in that sense anymore... that excitement is DEAD.

Smithing IMHO should be also painfully difficult to level, not just by making 100 daggers and there you go lvl 70 smithing yay! :confused:

But once again, there is no right or wrong.

So uhhh... Don't craft or use crafted gear, problem solved.

Threads like this crack me up!

Well to be fair, I don't think "just don't use it" is a terribly good solution either, when crafting is such a big part of RPGs for many people. Apart from the balance problems (and the UI... ugh), it's implemented in quite a fun way in Skyrim, very integrated into the world, even if the system itself is actually very simplistic. There really isn't any alternative to "just don't use it" at the moment though, so it's just down to your own judgement and self-restraint.

I'd be interested in hearing how people think this could be balanced - seeds of ideas for future mods, right? The obvious one upfront would be what (most) MMOs do - level requirements on gear. That would be a very non-Elder Scrolls method though. Level requirements for crafting with certain mats? Is there something other than level it could be scaled against?

Ingots should be removed from merchant loot tables and the problem is solved. It won't be so "easy" levelling smithing to 100 if there isn't an unlimited supply of ingots, leather, and straps 5 feet away from the forges in every town.

I'm level 29 and have only now just managed to craft my first piece of glass armor. I figured I would have found some ebony, glass, or daedric items in the loots tables by now, but haven't. If it wasn't for the fact that blacksmith sell ingots, i'd still be using the elven armor I got off of a wandering band of Thalmor when I was level 8! I find it amazing how some people's experiences can differ so radically.

Edited by FavoredSoul