Any way to make settlers smarter?

evilcook74

I built a huge 3 level barn at Dalton farm in Far Harbor and in the top of the barn is a loft (4th level technically) where all the beds are. It turned out really cozy looking and the first two settlers that were there had no troubles going up to their beds. After the other settlers arrived though is when things started to go wonky. They eventually stopped climbing any of the barn stairs even if I was directing them where to go step by step. For some reason they couldn't recognize the barn stairs as something to get to the next level. Then, going up to the second floor wasn't a problem but they failed to recognize the second set of stairs.

To try and help them I built an outdoor stairway that went directly from the main floor deck to the upper loft where the beds were. This made the path even easier to get to but they still wouldn't approach the stairs. The good thing was that they were still assigned to their beds and were technically happy.....but they weren't actually sleeping, just standing on the second floor where the shops were and where they thought their beds should be.

And then upon finishing Far Harbor and going back to help the settlement, I discovered everyone was using the stairs and reaching their beds as they should. It completely baffles me why they had such a problem in the first place. The only thing I could offer would be that maybe the AI having to deal with so many settlers needing to use the same path at the same time creates a sort of gridlock to where everything just freezes and never gets resolved. Maybe opening up the second path and giving it time to sort things out helped out in the end but I'll never know I guess. I'm just happy it works now. I really liked the way the settlement turned out.

I've seen the stairs issue as well. It's like one gets stuck, and when finally unstuck, everything works.

Also, spending a day at a problematic settlement does seem to clear things up. No idea why.

I feel like a lot of the a.i. stupidity starts when you get too many settlers. All in all, settlements seem to function best with only a few settlers and a lot of open space. Most likely has to do with a.i. pathfinding. You get too many 'blocked' paths or something and the game doesn't know where to put the settlers.. so they start ending up on top of roofs or just stand in one spot.

Edited by vyvexthorne