Nexus Mod Manager focus group needs more help

TheTokenGeek

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In response to post #40105435.

arcangelmx wrote: A question? the server is fallen since I entered the NMM and does not answer my user.

login error: timeout! ... Nexus login server.

Server has been down since before 12:00am EDT

In response to post #40015630. #40058265, #40085015, #40091830, #40102215 are all replies on the same post.

stebo104 wrote: DO NOT USE NMM use instead MO (Mod Organizer). NMM puts all mods into your game data folders and over/re writes several files, which over time if you change mods alot will ruin your base game files (making game unplayable and having your redownload whole game). Now MO on the other hand puts all mods into a mod only folder within MO. When you run the game, it creates a virtual folder to run games (ie skyrim, fo4, fonv, ect) with the mods you have active. Not to mention when it comes to same files from different mods rewriting over and over again, MO uses a priority list (such as a texture file from mods A B C and D, if in order of A-1, C-2, B-3, D-4 it will use the texture file from mod D as 4 is higher then 1.) Now MO also has some advanced features, but you'd have to go to youtude and watch some videos on that.
djtalks wrote: Yeah, your full of crap... Clearly havnt used NMM of late. To be quite honest I liked it better when there wasn't a virtual folder. You MO fan boys kill me. Texture mods are just overwrites..
You basicly added yourself a whole new load order to fight with and think its cool.

If you don't want to use it don't.. But don't show up here acting like something is better that dose the same thing. Like I have said many times and will say again a lot of mods have issue being installed with MO I have 2 I made that I just click and hit yes to all in NMM and it works. MO users still have issues installing them.
HadToRegister wrote: Yea, and you can't even download and install MO.
It says "Install Failed" because of some "Connection Error"
Pretty hard to try a Mod Organizer you can't even install
PirateZ86 wrote: If you want to just hate MO for everything, go ahead but if you are want to really get a solution, they have a troubleshooting page on Github. They help people fix issues.

@djtalks : Having my data folder clean and choosing which mods overwrites which even after installing just by dragging it above or below, creating profiles is really good. I don't have a single mod issue with MO, please specify a few. I have nothing against NMM as it's good but MO is far superior atleast for me. A single person creating a tool for everyone without expecting anything in return must be appreciated not insulted because of your petty fanboy feelings. If you are paid to do that I'm happy for you since it atleast benefits you rather than just emotional talks.
TheLionHearted27 wrote: The reality is that people with very limited experience or knowledge of mods, can use NMM as a starting platform to jump into the modding scene. NMM is easy to install and to use. MO takes some knowledge and practice, its not outright easy to use, for lets say, a 10-12 year old kid who just wants to add a few mods to his/her game. Try explaining everything you just said to someone who has never modded a day in their life, they'll give you the "wtf" face...lol! NMM for a complete beginner is a simple tool to get started with, and panders to a wider range of users on both sides of the spectrum, that being authors and casual gamers. Smart business savvy people understand that to get more customers/clients, you need to expand your horizons and cater to all types of users. MO isn't as widely used, because it has a harder learning curve. It's great for everything it can do, and in your opinion does some things better than NMM, but this is circumstantial, due to your preference of features.

since oblivion i tested all mod organizers. i'm sure that experienced users currently would never go back to another mod organizing tool if the they understand the principles of mod organizer and are able to handle this platform properly.
some need the experience of 10 new full installations, some other need 100 or more to realize that mo is a gem. this is the only tool you never need to do a full installation again and to have full control over all mods.
nmm is absolutely ok for beginners and if using only a few known and hopefully bugfree mods. using more will surely end up in a full installation simply because the first bigger dirty mod will physically screw up all the other installed mods without a chance to reverse the mess. i fully agree with lionhearted and i recommend all who are happy with nmm to use it until they are tired doing full installations with a ton of mods
Edited by idplayer

In response to post #39992435.

ruddy88 wrote: Curious on how the shared profiles work in regards to a few things.

Firstly, does this download the mods from that profile or do you have to manually download them? And if its automatic does it add to the download counter on that mod page? How does it work with updates, will it download the latest update or the version that the profile has for that particular mod?
Or does the "profile" you get from someone else contain all the mod files in it and not count towards the mod authors downloads?
How do merged patches or modified ESPs get taken in to account? I have 200 mods, they dont woirk out of the box and have required a lot of adjustments to the ESP, would those adjustments be reflected if i shared the profile? and vice versa if using someone elses?
So many questions aha, I do hope you make an in depth post closer to release of the new version.

Also, a suggestion, since NMM is pretty well integrated to nexus' website, would be good to have an endorse option directly on the mod manager, I am hopeless at re-visitng mod pages but would really like to support other mod authors as best I can.

I second the idea of endorsing directly from NMM. I have always wanted that, because I want to support the authors whose work I enjoy, and am a complete asshat when it comes to remembering and tracking down the individual mod pages to do that.

Honestly, if NMM had this feature, I would stop contemplating MO anymore. My FO4 mod install base is pretty big, and 1) lack of ~truly~ virtual folders (as my load order is always firmly resident in the Data folder) and 2) lack of file inspection and resident install-editing (rather than going through Windows Explorer) are making me strongly consider switching back to MO. The ability to endorse from within NMM would supersede those concerns, though.

How about an option to upload your own created mod that can scan for updated files and auto upload them to nexus in the background? Just thinking its a cool idea to manage created mods and have it all in place rather than have to use the site.

In response to post #40015630. #40058265, #40085015, #40091830, #40102215, #40122155 are all replies on the same post.

stebo104 wrote: DO NOT USE NMM use instead MO (Mod Organizer). NMM puts all mods into your game data folders and over/re writes several files, which over time if you change mods alot will ruin your base game files (making game unplayable and having your redownload whole game). Now MO on the other hand puts all mods into a mod only folder within MO. When you run the game, it creates a virtual folder to run games (ie skyrim, fo4, fonv, ect) with the mods you have active. Not to mention when it comes to same files from different mods rewriting over and over again, MO uses a priority list (such as a texture file from mods A B C and D, if in order of A-1, C-2, B-3, D-4 it will use the texture file from mod D as 4 is higher then 1.) Now MO also has some advanced features, but you'd have to go to youtude and watch some videos on that.
djtalks wrote: Yeah, your full of crap... Clearly havnt used NMM of late. To be quite honest I liked it better when there wasn't a virtual folder. You MO fan boys kill me. Texture mods are just overwrites..
You basicly added yourself a whole new load order to fight with and think its cool.

If you don't want to use it don't.. But don't show up here acting like something is better that dose the same thing. Like I have said many times and will say again a lot of mods have issue being installed with MO I have 2 I made that I just click and hit yes to all in NMM and it works. MO users still have issues installing them.
HadToRegister wrote: Yea, and you can't even download and install MO.
It says "Install Failed" because of some "Connection Error"
Pretty hard to try a Mod Organizer you can't even install
PirateZ86 wrote: If you want to just hate MO for everything, go ahead but if you are want to really get a solution, they have a troubleshooting page on Github. They help people fix issues.

@djtalks : Having my data folder clean and choosing which mods overwrites which even after installing just by dragging it above or below, creating profiles is really good. I don't have a single mod issue with MO, please specify a few. I have nothing against NMM as it's good but MO is far superior atleast for me. A single person creating a tool for everyone without expecting anything in return must be appreciated not insulted because of your petty fanboy feelings. If you are paid to do that I'm happy for you since it atleast benefits you rather than just emotional talks.
TheLionHearted27 wrote: The reality is that people with very limited experience or knowledge of mods, can use NMM as a starting platform to jump into the modding scene. NMM is easy to install and to use. MO takes some knowledge and practice, its not outright easy to use, for lets say, a 10-12 year old kid who just wants to add a few mods to his/her game. Try explaining everything you just said to someone who has never modded a day in their life, they'll give you the "wtf" face...lol! NMM for a complete beginner is a simple tool to get started with, and panders to a wider range of users on both sides of the spectrum, that being authors and casual gamers. Smart business savvy people understand that to get more customers/clients, you need to expand your horizons and cater to all types of users. MO isn't as widely used, because it has a harder learning curve. It's great for everything it can do, and in your opinion does some things better than NMM, but this is circumstantial, due to your preference of features.
idplayer wrote: since oblivion i tested all mod organizers. i'm sure that experienced users currently would never go back to another mod organizing tool if the they understand the principles of mod organizer and are able to handle this platform properly.
some need the experience of 10 new full installations, some other need 100 or more to realize that mo is a gem. this is the only tool you never need to do a full installation again and to have full control over all mods.
nmm is absolutely ok for beginners and if using only a few known and hopefully bugfree mods. using more will surely end up in a full installation simply because the first bigger dirty mod will physically screw up all the other installed mods without a chance to reverse the mess. i fully agree with lionhearted and i recommend all who are happy with nmm to use it until they are tired doing full installations with a ton of mods

@PirateZ86

The only "Fanboys" here who are insulting anybody, is YOU and stebo14, as this entire thread is about a NEXUS MOD MANAGER FOCUS GROUP, NOT about Mod Organizer.

It was an insult to the NMM team, and an "emotional talk" on your, and stebo14's part to tell everybody NOT to use NMM in an NMM Focus Group thread.
Don't hijack the thread with advertisements about MO, I doubt people are going to github and telling people to use NMM. (And if they are, then shame on them too) Edited by HadToRegister

Hi this isn't about NMM at all but I have no idea what else to do but post here. I can't log into the forums, thus I cannot request help there. I can log into Nexus fine but the forum keeps saying my user name or pw is incorrect. I tried resetting it but it didn't work. I've never had this problem before so hopefully someone here can help me.

Again, apologies for posting this here but I really didn't know what else to do.

add ability to "flag" each mods' changed files. IE If it changes a vanilla texture file,(rather than having it's own or using a vanilla resource) flag/show that file with that mod somehow in NMM. For that matter, just show all of each mods' files (and their paths) with it. extend that to showing conflicts with other installed mods (compare new+existing/cached formid's on mod installation?) add to that a simple-enough script that renumbers the formID's of the conflicting mods then generates and properly applies a patch esp/resource.(mebbe add "advanced/treed list" view to show all those extra views, default to more-or less current for avg users?) Also profiles that store my install choices somehow are a must, imho. Kinda defeats the point of a profile if I gotta re-install everything you do, I (and likely most gamers) want something I can just play my game with, not 10,000 choices to make first. I can already export from NMM and make/share a plugins.txt.zip if I want. Backup/restore as a giant game plugin works, does it include the resources (nif/texture/sound files)? What format, loose/zipped or ba2? How customizable is it (format, includes, location, all such details?) What about conflicts?

personal suggestion: Make the tools button/icon in NMM look more "Tool"-y? Looks like another configure folders button I don't wanna mess with atm, and I keep forgetting LOOT and FO4edit are integrated and running them as external proggys after I close NMM. Freely admit both my idiocy and my blindness. But pretty please?