Nexus Mod Manager focus group needs more help

TheTokenGeek

This is a quick and easy news post asking for a little more help with the Nexus Mod Manager focus group. The team has been hard at work doing updates, bug fixing and adding new features to provide the most stable and reliable platform for modding your games. This is going to be one big release!

We touched on it before, but the big addition to this release will be the Backup and Restore functionality. Following feedback from the users involved in the existing focus group, we have added a complete local backup facility. This allows you to take a 100% complete “snapshot” of your game mods, ready to be restored in full, at any time.

Another big part of the upcoming update is Profile Sharing which allows users to share their own profiles and allows one-click installation of other's profiles. This enables everyone to share their modded experiences easier than ever.

The combination of these two systems enables you to then try out other builds and profiles that have been uploaded to the site with ease and peace of mind. If you don’t like the downloaded build or want to just return to your previous configuration, then it’s as simple as a few clicks.

The possibilities this opens up are pretty endless. We have already seen in the focus group an  amazing diversity of people’s profiles, each one changing your game to become a new and unique experience. Any combination of new looks, quests, abodes, armors, or gameplay mechanics can now be installed and replaced with ease - this is a very exciting addition.

The focus group has been exceptionally busy and have helped us in finding and quashing a number of bugs through the use of the Github bug tracker and we are most grateful for all the help they have provided, but we now need more people.

So here is another call out to ask if anyone would either like to be a part of the focus group or knows of someone that would. If so, please drop an email to [email protected] and I will invite you to join us in our company communication tool ‘Slack’, you will be given access to the upcoming releases of Nexus Mod Manager. What we ask is that you spend some time testing each feature of the software, especially the new ones that will be detailed within ‘Slack’ and report back any bugs that you may find.

Many thanks

Paul

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think one thing that needs attention is the Virtual Install feature. That really turned me away from NMM, because it seems that it doubles the amount of space that mods use by creating the Virtual Install folders, unless I am doing something wrong... SSD space aint cheap.

In response to post #39896255.

DOOMBASED wrote: I think one thing that needs attention is the Virtual Install feature. That really turned me away from NMM, because it seems that it doubles the amount of space that mods use by creating the Virtual Install folders, unless I am doing something wrong... SSD space aint cheap.

What does the virtual install thing do again?

In response to post #39896255. #39896665 is also a reply to the same post.

DOOMBASED wrote: I think one thing that needs attention is the Virtual Install feature. That really turned me away from NMM, because it seems that it doubles the amount of space that mods use by creating the Virtual Install folders, unless I am doing something wrong... SSD space aint cheap.
Dreamable wrote: What does the virtual install thing do again?

@DOOMBASED
The same here.

@NMM Developers
Just add an option to disable "Virtual Feature" Edited by insaneplumber

In response to post #39896255. #39896665, #39896755 are all replies on the same post.

insaneplumber wrote: @DOOMBASED
The same here.

@NMM Developers
Just add an option to disable "Virtual Feature"

Probably need to educate our users more within the program and write things better.

That "doubled" space is actually non-existent. It's an anomaly with how Windows handles shortcuts. All I can tell you is; the space isn't actually doubled. For example. If you had 10GB of mods, due to the way Windows handles things, it'll say your mod folder is using 20GB, when in reality it's only using 10GB. And that 10GB isn't lost in your hard-drive/unusable by Windows.

In response to post #39896255. #39896665, #39896755, #39897085 are all replies on the same post.

insaneplumber wrote: @DOOMBASED
The same here.

@NMM Developers
Just add an option to disable "Virtual Feature"
Dark0ne wrote: Probably need to educate our users more within the program and write things better.

That "doubled" space is actually non-existent. It's an anomaly with how Windows handles shortcuts. All I can tell you is; the space isn't actually doubled. For example. If you had 10GB of mods, due to the way Windows handles things, it'll say your mod folder is using 20GB, when in reality it's only using 10GB. And that 10GB isn't lost in your hard-drive/unusable by Windows.

Okay, thanks for the reply and for the clarification. I'll have to take a look again once the new update is up.

I assume trying someone's profile would queue up a list of downloads based on the active mods (excluding any the new user already has downloaded), and then queue an installation of all the mods in question?

If so, is there a way to handle merged patches/altered esps? The first thing I do when installing a new mod is check for incompatibilities, and hand-merge any changes (and I have merged a good number of smaller mods as well, to reduce load order bloat from mods making a handful of simple changes). So if someone tried to use my profile, half the mods wouldn't work due to conflicts, and they might even hit the 255 plugin cap.

In response to post #39897550.

VIitS wrote: I assume trying someone's profile would queue up a list of downloads based on the active mods (excluding any the new user already has downloaded), and then queue an installation of all the mods in question?

If so, is there a way to handle merged patches/altered esps? The first thing I do when installing a new mod is check for incompatibilities, and hand-merge any changes (and I have merged a good number of smaller mods as well, to reduce load order bloat from mods making a handful of simple changes). So if someone tried to use my profile, half the mods wouldn't work due to conflicts, and they might even hit the 255 plugin cap.

Merged plugins is another thing to think about. Hmm... seems like this is going to be a lot more complex then it appears on the surface.