Praise... in whatever you believe in: Bethesda added a Piracy/Stolen category in Report!

q111

Good news everyone, the time for DMCA-Complains seems finally OVER!!! (and hopefully the many hidden mods because of it *sigh*). Bethesda added a new category to it's report feature: Piracy/Stolen Mods can now be reported with a click without any long DMCA-Complains.

It's all to read here in the summer-update:

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/44017

Naturally Mods can always be stolen, and hey, we lived with it since modding got released, but normally nearly every site had a report-feature and many decicated people who helped to delete Mods that were stolen... except bethesda.net. But they seemed to listen and also see that many people were either quitting modding or pause it until bethesda takes action. And as long as it took, they finally delivered.

So now the community can help to report mods that were actually be stolen. But don't forget: there are modders out there who upload it on multiple websites and does NOT have the same username here and there. So only because the user here and there doesn't have the same name, don't report him. Read the description first, in most cases it's already answered there.

Edited by q111

Praise not forthcoming.

Bethesda should have implemented this at the very start. Not after the shouts and objections of the many modders who had their work stolen and hosted on Bethesda's site. Besides, there is no indication that Bethesda will actually act upon any of the complaints they receive. As far as I'm concerned the jury, as they say, is still out.

It is an encouraging move on their part, however. I'll not disparage that.

The Rabbit

Praise not forthcoming.

Bethesda should have implemented this at the very start. Not after the shouts and objections of the many modders who had their work stolen and hosted on Bethesda's site. Besides, there is no indication that Bethesda will actually act upon any of the complaints they receive. As far as I'm concerned the jury, as they say, is still out.

It is an encouraging move on their part, however. I'll not disparage that.

The Rabbit

You are right: they were really shortsighted (nicer word for stupid) not implementing this from the beginning. But they reacted to complains, but naturally they undererestimated how much work it is to watch over a bunch of immature idiots (aka mod stealers).

They already implemented that linking their steam-account to bethesda.net is required to upload mods (for console only?) and if somebody get caught stealing a mod, he can easily get banned together with the steam-account.

I give personally bethesda one last chance that they will now react on mods that were stolen. It's up for one day, so if somebody complained about a stolen mod today it might take some time simply because of the sum of complains, Still i hope that after a week most of the stolen mods disappeared there and then it's up to the community reporting them.

Wonder if Beth was actually reacting to all of the complaints or are they really reacting because Sony and Microsoft came down on them? But I guess whatever is the actual reason at least maybe all this stuff is finally coming to a close. We can only hope. Hopefully any mod authors who were really upset and left will eventually return and create mods again.

From comments I've seen from community staff the new site is taking it's toll on them because they're trying to integrate everything and make the forum operate as to how they need it to. I'm not surprised it took this long if that's the reason, re-writing pre-designed sites is a hard thing to do.

https://community.bethesda.net/thread/2152?start=1365&tstart=0

I'm imagining a lot of swearing is going on over at the offices with the people involved in the site's management.

Edited by CiderMuffin

In this case i also understand this, still why do they take such an stupid design? Why does every site need to be new and innovative, when this actually not works. Because of the bad design there Dark0ne actually opened Creation Kit-Forums here for Skyrim and Fallout 4 on the nexus. If they didn't had such a bad website, adding a report-functionality for mod stealing would be much faster implemented and much less damage would have been done.

Nexusmods does changes only very sensible and it works since many years, and i personally don't think that the site is old or outdated. Bethesda already had a working forum, they should orient at their existing design. Ok, even the old bethesda-forums were not very good, and changes are necessary, but not from bad to worse.

I really don't what you guys are talking about. Yep, option is where, but it does not work either. I sent them maybe 10 reports since 2 weeks ago, and at least 3 using new reporting option. Guess what? Nothing happen, stolen property still safe and sound and console users continue to endorse stolen thing and mock PC users and authors like crazy. S*** still hits the fan in that beth.net cesspool. So all your happy feeling here are 100% premature.

Edited by Engager

I used to be a frequent visitor of the Beth boards. After reading through the Nexus posts I would go there to read their user's postings. The new board makes it find anything that isn't a Bethesda commercial. Most of the mods that I've seen posted there are hardly deserving of the name. Users there are very free about openly discussing the game's plots and surprises. I stopped visiting there shortly after they changed over with the exception of their Gift Shop, and even then they are always out of stock of anything that I might want to buy. I'm strictly a Nexus resident now until they get tired of me and ask me to leave.

The Rabbit

Look at this! That guy was reported maybe 10 times already, he even acknowledges in description stuff is stolen and keeps "Robin hood" behavior: "Released by Hithoseletrium. (Due to lack of Author action,only PC players had access....) Authors: Engager and coreyhooe (Fallout 4 Nexus)" Like that gives him any rights. When i see all this i'm actually considering to end modding forever since that seriously pisses me of.

Mod_Stolen.jpg

Uploader directly acknowledges that mod had been stolen (it's compilation of my old CSE mod and my friend Varx's More Spawns mods, both well known spawn mods on Nexus), i don't get it, how much more proof or repeated report sending is required to finally take this thing down. 2 weeks had passed, new report form used several times, still nothing.

I have persistent feeling lately that whole this console mod theft thing is deliberately supported by Bethesda, to keep good sales of their not so good stuff to console users. They need our stolen mods to blow the minds of kid console players, so they can make more money. If you will look at things at this way you will see why things happen exactly as they do. I can tell you even more, when i tried, i found that Bethesda actually made all things what are possible to prevent console detection by script codes, so no author can defend himself from stealing amusement. Whole thing is simple - press off all juice from moding community to make more money from sales, and when, second resurrection of paid moding. Zenimax and Bethesda are as far from any morality as is murderer from being a priest. That is how the future will look like. They will screw everything completely just to make a dollar. That is the capitalism anyway, they don't care about the people, especially devoted ones like moders, they simply use them as tool to further capitalize themselves.

Edited by Engager