When Beth wins, and mods cost money...

zanity

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This what i believe will happen:

Next elder scroll or fallout will be a frame work where modders are supposed to build upon. You have the basics. World, factions, some quests.

All modules (AI, weather, weapon, damage, visual effects, etc) can be freely tweaked.

Alternate start is incorporated to base game with a few options. Modders can easily create more.

Subscription model.

You pay, you download as many mods as you want. You don't pay you have limited mod installations. Something like spotify but with mods.

And then modders will get their cut based on endorsements. The more people (subscribers) download and endorse your mod the more you earn based on the total number of subscribers.

More people subscribing means more money to modders. This will be an incentive to keep mods supported.

Instead of DLCs we will have mod packs that add assets and mod tools.

PR will talk about joint development between community and devs. A game made for and by the players.

I believe paid mods will come. There's a lot of money to be made here.

What i just wrote, i honestly don't think it's bad. Bethesda obviously can't make good RPGs. So, build the basics and leave the rest up to the community.

We can build the game the way we want. Modders get rewarded. Todd Howards gets richer.

Edit: for this to work they would force their platform on us. No more nexus.

Edited by Verme Sujo

What i just wrote, i honestly don't think it's bad. Bethesda obviously can't make good RPGs. So, build the basics and leave the rest up to the community.

We can build the game the way we want. Modders get rewarded. Todd Howards gets richer.

Edit: for this to work they would force their platform on us. No more nexus.

What you forget in all of this, is that modders have limited resources. Right now, mods are a labor of love and I put up with conflicts and instability issues because of that. Fat chance I'm doing that if I had to pay money. Then I deal with a product, thouroughly tested in a neat package. That's what modders, since they aren't professionals with staff and funds, can't provide.

If your model were to happen, we wouldn't see good and innovative mods anymore. Probably just some textures, guns, items, the simple stuff. Nothing that fiddles with the actual game mechanics.

Apart from the fact, that the only reason I still buy Bethesda games, is the great modding community, chiming in from day one. To iron out flaws and bugs, to take care of nuisances and to add what should have been there in the first place. A vanilla Beth game doesn't interest me at all.

Also what about modders wanting to use or needing to use 3rd party stuff like the script extender? How exactly can Beth control that? I just don't see how they will control the modding for PC users. Yes they can completely control it for consoles for sure but I doubt they will or even really try to do so for PCs. If they do try I'd bet there will be somebody out there that will hack the crap out of the game and make mods work for PCs.

If they do try I'd bet there will be somebody out there that will hack the crap out of the game and make mods work for PCs.

Which would be totally illegal and base for a ruinous lawsuit. But we're not there yet, and if Beth isn't stupid as s***, we won't arrive there anytime soon.

Edited by cossayos

I have a really hard time accepting the idea that Bethesda would alienate a whole community that helped sell and make their games so popular. Their games are fun in a way no others are, yet they are very unpolished and I'm sure Bethesda is aware of it. They definitely wouldn't sell as well in their vanilla state. If they happen to squeeze the Nexus out of the picture in the future, that's a majority of the community that polishes their games for them. I imagine many of you modders would leave the scene entirely instead of conforming to their rules and regulations (and censorship). That would only hurt them in the long run. How could they offer mods for consoles if a majority of the pc modders left the scene?

The only answer I could see to this is that the vanilla standard for their next TES or FO game will be greatly increased. But it still seems highly unlikely to me.

If they happen to squeeze the Nexus out of the picture in the future, that's a majority of the community that polishes their games for them. I imagine many of you modders would leave the scene entirely instead of conforming to their rules and regulations (and censorship).

Apart from the fact, that the only reason I still buy Bethesda games, is the great modding community, chiming in from day one. To iron out flaws and bugs, to take care of nuisances and to add what should have been there in the first place. A vanilla Beth game doesn't interest me at all.

I'm already half there, didn't even buy this Bethesda game but hey there just wasn't anything else to get for my birthday.

They tried once and it failed miserably, do you really think they'd be that stupid to try it again? Ok, wait, let me rephrase that, if their management had half the intelligence they need, paid mods for PC and exclusivity to Beth.net would be the furthest thing from their agenda, now for consoles, that's a whole 'nother story, but then that just might make those console junkies want to buy a PC..win/win.

modders will quit modding if any mods for beth games can only be hosted on beth site I guarantee it not a single person will be left modding on nexus and maybe other sites too if those other sites receive some kind of legal notice from beth saying take down mods because beth site only for mods. Modding for pc gamers will then go underground to sites hosted in odd parts of the world where nato and US empire laws don't quite apply just yet. Most people would lose interest in beth games and those console kiddies would complain so much because mods be gone! and they won't know how to make their own without a pc and the creation kit. The whole thing will implode so I don't think that beth will do this right now. Maybe later if microsoft can lock down the pc industry with windows 10 and killing off of old stuff who knows maybe a few years from now but it will be for the next ES game which is probably the technology toad howard was talking about in that stupid video clip. They don't have the lockdown technology yet so when the whole pc ecosystem is stuck on something like win10 then it may be possible to screw everyone.